TAFC Q3 session at the grove

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Dan Lynch, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

I cannot believe that there was not more of an uproar about the treatment of the TAFC racers at the grove. One pair went down the track which one of the cars bumped into the field and then they canceled the session, but that run stood?

Can you imagine Ron Capps being #16 going into the last session getting bumped by the first pair and then having NHRA cancel the rest of the session?

That was bullshit in its worst form...

Dan

2. bud7291

bud7291 New Member

I thought about that... Seems a bit unfair to let two people get a pass and no one else... I think you either let all run or none...

As for that Capps scenario... Don't they have rules in effect that if qualifying is cut short those who are in the chase/countdown are put in the field anyway?

CJ Curtsinger

3. PANMAN

PANMAN Super Comp

It was a nice parade though:mad: I feel worst for Eric Lourie and his team they were the team bumped out and were not given the chance to get back in. WRONG!!!!. Chris Brown bumped him self in and in a very sportsman like gesture urged the officials to let Eric in if they were canceliingthe session!.
    The powers that be said no you qualified you run.Everyone would have benifited from that third run, We were behind the eight ball and unfortunatley got paired with Tasca round 1 that was something to look forward to. No exuses we got beat but that run would have been nice. for both of us to maybe move things around.. IT IS WHAT IT IS. once again the class got dumped on. On the lighter side we did not have to spend 4 days in the rain we would have all been unemployed!

4. racergirl47

racergirl47 New Member

It did suck, especially for Eric Lourie!!! Even Chris Brown thought it was wrong and told NHRA officials to just let Eric run and cancel the pass he had made. But the officials said, "rules are rules". It wasn't right but of course since people came to see Top Fuel run the top alcohol guys got kicked in the a**.

5. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Couldn't Chris Brown just have said he was broke, which would have allowed Eric to take his place in the field?

6. a/fuel goddess

a/fuel goddess New Member

let's not go that far. a good gesture is one thing. actualy removing yourself is another.

7. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

alternates don't get 1st round money or points . it was honerable by "da fly" (chris' nickname) but it was an unfair decision made because t.v. time was pressing and the final pro session needed to be run . a long oildown was the reason nhra scraped the rest of the final session.

8. michael hall

michael hall New Member

Chris Brown

Yes, hats off to Chris Brown and his Dad for doing what they thought was the right thing. They are some really great guys on that team. We ALL got the "crank shaft" on that final run with their decsion to send us back after the work that we had to do to get ready. I guess us alky racers don't work hard enough or spend enough money to be treated like people. Oh well, atleast we got to fire up the grill a little sooner!!

9. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Our take

Racing has always had a bit of luck to it. If you remember last year at Reading the same powers that "took our head off" gave us a pass this year. Thanks to the rules we didn't get a break, nor did we screw anyone. The car we were running with left alot of oil on the top end. No one would have run in that lane till it was dressed. We went back to the pits and felt that the run would not hold and got ready for Cecil next week. We have raced with Eric and his crew for the past 4 years and would never have wanted to be in that position. ( To make is worst I had just finished joking with Eric about knocking him out of the show:() D 1 is full of great teams and Lourie and the gang are one of Teams you must get by to qualify........every event. There are no Gimmies in that Division, but that was as close as you can ask for. We had a new motor and no computer all weekend ( Thank You RACEPAK ) The old tune up always delivered 5.80s. This week it was 6.0?We were beating ourself. To everyone who has voiced a positive opinion on the matter "Thanks from our Team". To those who differ then no explanation can be offered by us....see NHRA and ask for Mr. Light;) It was great to meet nancy and her gang and see all the usual suspects at Reading. See ya at Cecil County.
    Brownman and the FNG's:D

10. fc196cc

fc196cc New Member

that was a raw deal for the rest of the field but we had a really safe tune uo in the race car and the motor just did not agree. Number 1 and 2 rods just quit even though the plugs were still showing plenty of fuel. It was just one of those things that hapen we have all been there. You may not agree but I have never met a team that has not had rods fail on the 4th or 5th runs. Again I apologize to all whom were affected by NHRA's decision and take full blame if you believe it was our teams fault but our driver and team owner was not at fault, and as crew chief I'll take that blame.
    Thanks
    Matt

11. diecast153

diecast153 New Member

Well (such a deep thought for such a shallow mind as mine) I guess that it is my turn to weight in on the TA/FC QUALIFYING SESSION # 3 at MAPLE GROVE.First I must state that CHRIS BROWN did nothing wrong and did what was right for him to do.He was in the first pair to go out and bumped himself into the field.Maybe if our hot rod hadn't shut off in the second session we would have been in.The problem was the time allotted for the session.It took 99.9 PERCENT of the time for the clean up of the OIL DOWN in the other lane.I am not complaining about that.It's SAFETY FIRST.but NHRA was committed to ESPN to run the last PRO QUALIFYING SESSION so that it could be edited for an early evening airing that same day.Maybe they should rethink how the set things up?We were not the ONLY team to be short changed.There were also another 19 teams along with us.We are a self-sponsored team but what about the ones that have to answer to their's.I have been in and out of this spots since 1961 (remember WILL I gave a brief history on the real JR. FUEL) and have seen these things swing both ways.Were we happy with the third session being cut short,NO WAY.But we,like the rest of the cars who were cut short,have to except it.Please all remember this."IT'S NHRA'S SANDBOX and it THEIR PAIL & SHOVEL if you don't like it pull up your panties and go home".I am glad to state many positive thing came out of this.ERIC LOURIE displayed true PROFESSIONALISM and CHARACTER.He went to the tower and asked the powers-to-be to just tell him WHY.He did not raise his voice or act in anyway not has a true professional.He received this answer in the same way.There was an intelligent conversation between the parties and he left the tower.I am very proud to work with he and his family on their hot rod.Did he or any of us on the team like the outcome of this summit meeting?Again NO WAY,but we had to except it.After we put the car back in the box I went over to visit CHRIS BROWN.He is a fine young man and a good racer.His father raised him well.We must have talked for a good twenty minutes.After that I went to the lanes to watch the first round.I should have took a lunch.Every FUNNY CAR team I passed stopped me to gave support to our team.People at the lower end of staging area came over with support.Back in the pits the DRAGSTER CREWS did the same.DIVISION ONE IS REALLY A FAMILY.THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT.After it was all over I took out my "SQUARE BOTTLE" and made it suffer.Another positive thing to come out of this TOYO TIRES NATIONALS was that I also got to me NANCY MATTER & HER CREW.Nice people,please come back soon.One more thing I must state.At least I am home now sleeping in my own bed and not down there in the rain.Been there and did that before.It's like "PANMAN" said about our jobs.As for me I am self employed and like I told ROBERT TASCA III "IF I WANT TO CALL IN SICK I HAVE TO RUN DOWN AND ANSWER THE PHONE".SEE YOU ALL AT ENGLISHTOWN.

CHUCK: LOURIE RACING

12. nitro4100

nitro4100 New Member

matt

Matt that is just racing a lot of people do not understand how hi your wicking these motors up I still find it hard to beleve it. In Drag racing anything can happen we all know that sorry about your rods.

13. pmbuick

pmbuick Member

I thought that once a qualifying session was canceled all runs were as well, and the order was to revert back to the last session. I feel badly for all of the alky racers who once again get pushed over for the pro's. Perhaps it is time for NHRA to adopt a system simular to NASCAR (oh how I dislike roundy rounds) but the Busch / Nextel system works very well for them.
    It was very nice to meet Nancey Matter and Will Hanna in our pit this weekend. I would also like to thank the Hall Brothers and Big Jim Dunn for their continued help with our team.

Peter Maple
    Terenzio Racing
    111 TAFC

PS; Steph, congratulations on your first post.
    PPS; Congrats to Rit Pustari who came down to hang out with us and got to drive the big red machine and did a fantastic job I might add

14. David Smith

David Smith Member

I was very surprised at NHRAs decision since racing ended pretty early for the day. There was plenty of time to run the session and first round without it being to late into the evening.

still trying to decide whether to go back tomorrow or not :confused:

15. Blown and Injected

Blown and Injected New Member

Maple Grove

Just wanted to say it was alot of fun to get to hang out with Victor Terenzio's crew. Frank and Debbie and Steph Schuster you guys are awesome. Victor and Peter are the nicest guys and this team is a true Contender. Thanks for the great days hanging out and for letting me get to strap in that fearless driver of yours. Bringing him into the beams was such a blast,,,hard to believe he used to do the same for my dad years ago !!! Hope you all have have a safe and fun rest of the year and hope to help out more in 2008.

ps,
    Steph,,,when you gonna back up my Jet after my burn-out ??? lol

16. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

I want to say thank you to all the D1 teams. You guys were all awesome to race and hang with regardless of the situation.

Ken & Mike Hall, very very Funny Guys and nice as can be, same with Frank Schuster & Family, Eric Louries Team and Chris Browns Team. Manzo & Tasca are really great as well, not only as racers, but in their willingness to always lend a hand if needed.

We had a great time and are looking forward to seeing all of you again very soon (can't forget Mikey & Mickey Ferro's Group as well)

Take care and have a wonderful and safe weekend wherever your travels may take you, and if your racing, be safe!

Nancy

17. Mr. Mopar

Mr. Mopar Competition Eliminator

Tune Ups

I'm curious Dan, did you by chance purchase a tune up from Art Gallant?

18. Blown and Injected

Blown and Injected New Member

Forgot Nancy!!!

I totally forgot to say How much fun it was to finally meet Nancy,,what a great lady. And wow,,Will Hanna !!! The Legend Lives !! haha. To put a face and voice with these peopleis alot of fun. The entire Alcohol pits are always more like a big family reunion,,I wish we had more time to talk and less work. Glenn and Joanne Wizmer,,hope the spelling is right,,were a big help with Victor Terenzio's team also. Thanks Glenn !! Thanks to all the teams who always open there camps to us ,,Chris Brown,,what a great guy and his whole team. The Lourie's,,,what can we say,,awesome !! Big Hi to Stu and Bruce Horner,,,great guys Too..

Best of luck to all the teams in the future,,

Ken Hall

19. racergirl47

racergirl47 New Member

kenny you are so mean, for a second i was actually excited [woo hoo i get to back up a jet car] UNTIL i realized PEOPLE DONT BACK JET CARS UP!!!!!!!!!

meany

20. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

No, why do you ask??? I'd never run one of flame throwers... Blown car's only in this camp...