TAFC history project...

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Nov 17, 2005.

1. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

you beat me to the ron scott one.
    how about dennis bedrosian.... the imaculate "scarlet fever"
    bunny burkett's old corvette was the "cotton candy"
    the late pete brozine
    ..... and yes Bumpy55 my old car was the "war horse" ... god i miss that car and setup

2. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Time to go back to your ROOTS bruce..LOL

3. bruce mullins

match racing was a blast. when i built the mustang it was just for that. we ran 6.20 every run. but unfortunatly the match races dried up so you either had to step up or get out. ihra started spreading their races out to far for me to travel so after trying to compete with a roots in nhra for a couple of years i went ahead and made the switch to a screw blower/newberry combo. its a lot of work compaired to what a match race is , o well we all had choices to make...

4. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

herb rogers........flyin' glass........ran out of canada. i remember him going into the sand at columbus and flipping the car.man, i hate that place......

5. Bumpy55

Bumpy55 Member

Hey Bruce was there 2 differant cars, I seem to remember a Blue one and a yellow one a year later. I also remember one of them was in a book. All your cars have always had great paint jobs.

6. bruce mullins

the yellow one was first, and was the one in the book. it was yellow for about 3 years and then i changed the yellow to blue for one year. it was the same car. thanks for the compliments.

7. Slayer

Slayer Member

Tom Anderson/ The Wombat
    Al Hanna/ Eastern Raider
    Tim kushi?/ Yankee Sizzler
    who drove Northern Force?

8. TJTurner

TJTurner New Member

Slayer - your answer is...

Bob Elliott drove the Northern Force alky FC. The other three cars that you mentioned were match race nitro FC's. I saw the "Wombat" a couple of times at US 131 Dragway in Michigan - decent running car for sure. George Johnson also drove this car. Tom also drove the "Speed Racer" Nitro Vega owned by Mike Kase and he did real well in that car also.

Do any of you guys remember the "Assassin" Corvette alky FC driven by Dick Malone? Good looking car and a good match race car. Also, I saw the "200 Proof" Arrow a number of times driven by Cliff Sewell. Pat Cress ran a couple of years in the "Chicagoan" Mustang II car and also did pretty well.

For you D1 guys, what about Harry Hall (Shenandoah) and Bob Toth (Keystone Kuda)? I never saw them run but they were in ND all the time for their match race dates.

When I was 14, I met Roberta Schultz (Baby Imp - Mustang II) at the Northern Nationals in Milan, MI and not only was she a nice looking young lady but her whole family was great to be around and great with the fans.

TJ Turner

9. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

I believe Les Davenport's TAFC was called "Obsession". Steve McGee's car was Sunshine Pizza.

10. nick bell

nick bell TAFC

ok its a nitro fc but how about "country girl" rodilyn knox

11. LoudPedal

LoudPedal New Member

Didn't Amato also have a car called "Keystone Cuda"? I think it may have been an Injected car.

12. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

WOW I had forgotten about Harry Hall who used to drive a 33 willys for KS Pittman. The Shenandoah BB/FC I also remember as a rather long & low duster. Wasn't there a flip top injected fuel burning Opel GT around that era? I cant place the name or home town.

13. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

If I remember right wasn't Steve McGees car painted in black with flames?
    The Assassin name was also on a nitro F/C fielded by Johnny Loper I think driven by Rob ?????
    To add another name to the mix, Jerry Beldnow or ????? the "Moby Dick" car I think they ran in ProComp then swiched over to nitro.
    I miss those days. Racing still cost a lot back then but if you had a decent paying job you could field a car on your own or team up with somebody.
    As Jungle would say: Drag Racing is Farrrrrrrrrrrr... Outttttttttttttttt......

Bob Kraemer

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  14. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

Joe Amatos BB/FC
    The Gabrial Hi-Jacker

Bob Kraemer

15. TJTurner

TJTurner New Member

Additional Information

Woodchip - yes, Harry Hall's car was a low rider Duster. He must have run every weekend during the season as his name was in almost every ND issue in the mid to late 70's.

Jerry Boldenow drove the "Moby Dick" car and then Ezra Boggs took over. I don't remember if they ever ran it as a BB/FC as I only saw them run as a nitro car.

I had forgotten about Steve McGee - that was a good running car in its day.

Do you guys remember how cool looking the "Wizard" TAFC looked? He had an Omni, Daytona and also a Olds Firenza bodied car (plus others I am sure). I met Tom Akers as a high schooler at the '79 US Nationals and he was very nice to the fans so I always rooted for them. Also, Harold Lewelling drove the "Saturday Night Fever" Corvette (co-owned by Mickey Winters) and later he drove a car named the "Midnight Special", but I don't remember the body style on that car.

Here is another D3 car - Tim Board drove a Monza bodied BB/FC for a couple of years mainly on the match race curcuit and I think it was sponsored by Ziebart.

Let me do some more thinking and I will be back. I love this topic as it brings back so many good memories.

TJ Turner

16. TJTurner

TJTurner New Member

The Assassin nitro FC was driven by...

Rob Williams and owned by Roger Guzman out of D5. That was a great running divisional car and they won some D5 championships.

17. LoudPedal

LoudPedal New Member

Kraemer---I remember Amato's HiJacker, it was a real low-slung Monza, back in the Pro-Comp days, but I'm almost positive before that he ran a car called the Keysone Cuda. Matter of fact, in the past year or two one of the print mags ran a pic of it, in their kinda "looking back" pages.

18. David Pace

David Pace New Member

Smokey the Bear was first owned by the late Jerry ("Zero") Wasson and driven by Gary Cochran (not Mr. C). Zero's brother, Beaver, maintained the car.
    I think the late Mickey Winters was also involved with the Bad Moon Rising car.
    There was a car called "Texas Crude" and another called "Black Gold" but I can't remember who owned/drove them.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  19. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

black gold

i remember there being a black gold dragster driven by mike withrow around 86 or so...

20. TJTurner

TJTurner New Member

more stuff

Amato also had a low-slung Firebird. He then went TAD racing and the rest is history.

Here are some more drivers and names:

Gary Southern - Capt. Crazy - Omni (very strong running car)
    John Samolyk - Sudden Pleasure - Tempo
    Terry Mullins - Terry Mullins - Olds
    Rick Wayne - Rick Wayne - Firebird (I saw him crash at Commerce in 86 or 87)
    Bob Gilbertson - Terminator - Vette
    Whit Bazemore - ??? - Camaro (ran D2 match race scene back in 86)
    Wayne Clapp - Dean Thompson - Mustang
    Eric Caskey - Ragin' Bull - Challenger
    Doug Newby - Hot Tuna - Datsun 280ZX
    Greg Moss - Greg Moss - Firebird (good runner)
    Tommy Johnson Jr - Tommy Johnson - Firebird
    Tom Ridings - ??? - Arrow
    Eddie Baumann - Baumann Bros. - Camaro
    Larry Frederick - ?? - Vega
    Jack Dustman - Dustman Bros - Daytona
    Mike Murphy - Prospector - (a few different bodies)
    Dean Rawley (or Rowley) - ?? - Mustang (D2 car out of FL in the mid/late 70's)