TAD/TAFC changes for next year helmet shrouds, pads, belly pans, etc.

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Barry Ferriolo

CARBON FIBER ! Spitzer may need to see how many people want to get a 2nd mortage to be able to afford one. How the hell much money do you guys have that he would even consider building one?

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

not knee jerk

dave,

while i certainly understand the wallet hurts when these changes are implemented, there is a bona fide reason. first off, the lateral head supports are a major upgrade in driver safety vs the driver's head bouncing around in there. every driver that has had them in their car swear by them because you'll find you can drive through tireshake better with the pads. i had pads ordered but my car was sold before we installed them. steve harker and frank manzo swear by them. if you watched the footage of kate harker's crash in sonoma, you would have them on order yourself.

as far as the helmet shrouds go, we had an accident in dallas that very easily could have been a bad deal with harker's car. the parachute got sucked up under the car (not that uncommon in a tafc). the pilot chute cut the tire, and cut through the aluminum deck extension and about 6" into the body like it was butter. had it decided to bounce around towards the drivers compartment, i don't like dwelling on that outcome.

the cars will be safer after these rule changes. i also wish they had announced this sooner so there isn't such a rush to get the stuff done.

companies like diversatech are in business to make money, and i would be hard pressed to believe they aren't going to jump on this funny car deal. spitzer is usually pretty affordable.

3. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

i would have to guess the carbon ones should be cheaper than the Ti ones
    easier to mold/heat goo than form titanium
    but i cant imagine the carbon being as strong as ti for puncture resistance
    my 2¢

4. Jefty

Jefty New Member

Hansen and myself are going to form some shrouds out of 4130.

It's heavier but you can tell your driver to only eat one double double a week, not four...

Bob Meyer, I had a corvette NFC in the shop that had the system you describe as a body release. did you do that one? it looked simple and functional.

unlike the one (Mckinney) I had to deal with on Tolivers car.

5. Burner

Burner New Member

FC head shields

I will have sample carbon fiber head shields [not yet approved by NHRA]at the PRI show at Taylors booth if your interested come by. Jeff Burnett

6. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

yep
    their deal will sit you back $1975.00
    and be available soon

7. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

OUCH! Hope Mike Baker from IHRA isn't reading this!:eek:

8. Chsbldr

Chsbldr Member

Don't quote me on this but the new NHRA Rule books are usualy released at the PRI show.

9. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Mine was not FEA designed !

10. SICTOR

SICTOR hola amigos!

me gusta tapatio

can you be more specific? please:)

11. Frank Schuster

Frank Schuster New Member

Helmet Shields

I just spoke to Haskel at Diversatech. He will have the funny car shield at the PRI show this week. If you are there stop by his booth #919. He tells me they are nicer than the ones he makes for Top Fuel.
    http://www.diversatech.com/

12. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

can someone give me the companies who make the seat pad and helmet shroud? Is Garvin the only one that makes the pad? That will make it hard to get one. Diversitech and spitzer are working on the shroud , but neither are approved. I'm assuming you can't make your own shroud? The first race (d4) is in Feb, is it even possible for everyone to get these things before then?

13. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson New Member

ISP makes the molded seats and helmet pads. The helmet shrouds should not be a problem if NHRA will make a decision on a spec and approve suppliers that have submitted them.

14. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Helmet shields

As near as I can find there are 4 companies potentially making them, not all are approved yet. Jeff Burnett, Spitzer, Diversatech, and McKinney. It sounds like you have a choice between Chromemoly, Carbon Fiber and Titanium. Another question is can a person build one themselves? I am sure there are craftsmen out here who can do as good a job as the commercially available versions. I don't understand why the Titanium specs are for a thinner material than the Chromemoly version? Most of the specs usually call for steel parts to be of a lighter material than the Tit. versions. I have called tech at Glendora 3 times now and haven't really gotten any significantly definitive answers. I get the impression they are flying by the seat of their pants and are making rules wthout really thinking them through? I have no problems with safety rules but how about we apply some common sense to them and then communicate them to the folks that have to adhere to them?
    Dave Germain

15. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Build your own if you can, you'd be crazy to spend that kind of money on a kit!

Dave and the rest,

We just finished a couple weeks ago building a chromoly shroud for our TAD from scratch. It took about $250 worth of chromoly and a weekend of bending, welding, and grinding but it turned out pretty nice. We will be doing the same for my TAFC in the next little while here.

There is no rules against building it yourself, as long as you use the correct thickness of materials - excluding of course the carbon versions. I have seen people build their own titanium ones as well, some looked pretty, some didn't, but they all passed tech.

16. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Does anybody have any idea of weights of these things? Nathan, what does the TAD shield weigh? What I am trying to figure out is the cost per pound of each option. If Tit. only saves 4 or 5 pounds then why do it in tit. ? Same thing for Chromemoly compared to Carbon Fiber? I did the same thing years ago when I bought my first Ti. can. Dave Germain

17. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Dave,

I don't know the weight off hand, but I will weigh it tonight and post it here for your info. I'll try to get a picture of it on here as well. It isn't incredibly light, although it did turn out lighter than I thought it was going to be.

The one we made for the dragster is a 1 piece deal. The funny car sheild will be made in 3 pieces, so I imagine it will be a touch lighter.

18. J-Drag

J-Drag T/C

New 2008 Rev

From the NHRA Div 5 web site.
    -------------------------------
    Helmet Shroud/Deflector Plate

All vehicles in Top Alcohol Funny Car must have a rear-roll cage shroud. A one- or three-piece shroud is permitted. The shroud must be constructed of minimum .075-inch Grade 2 ASTM-B-265 titanium or .090-inch 4130 steel or be of NHRA accepted composite construction and must be shaped to conform to the roll cage. The shroud must be attached to each of the side bars with a minimum of three 1/4-inch minimum diameter Grade 8 bolts and bosses per side, to the top with one 1/4-inch minimum diameter Grade 8 bolt and boss, and to the rear bars with a minimum of two 1/4-inch minimum diameter Grade 8 bolts and bosses per side. Tabs with] bolt and nut, where the nut is welded to the tab, may be used in place of the bosses. Three piece shields must be made with two side shields and a center section.

The shroud must be installed flush with or be filled/sealed to the upper roll cage bars and shoulder hoop to the extent that protective equipment cannot inadvertently catch between the shroud and the roll-cage components. Absolutely no components may be mounted to the helmet shroud above the top of the shoulder hoop. Unless the shroud is mounted with fasteners that have ½-inch hex style heads (as required in TF and TAD) a clearance slot minimum 1-¾- inch high by 2-inch wide is required on each side of each roll cage tube where it meets the shoulder hoop.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Link;

http://www.nhradiv5.com/apcm/templates/divnews.asp?articleid=25677&zoneid=15

------------------------------------------------

John Gates
    Santee, Ca

19. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Well, for all those curious here's some photos of the 1-piece shroud we made for our TAD. Made from .090-inch 4130 steel as per the spec (versus the expensive titanium route), it weighs in at 20 lbs. It is not 100% complete yet, as we still have to drill the rest of the mounting holes and pretty it up.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC