Synergin Oil ????

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by gt_diesel, May 29, 2008.

1. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

Anyone else have problems with Synergin Oil?

Three passes on a brand new motor, and it looks like someone cooked the bearings... Broke two brand new BME Rods, Cracked Block... etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bob69

Bob69 Member

what oil pressure and how much power are you squeezing out of the engine

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Well from what I can see you can rule out losing torque on the rod bolts. They are all still bolted together in place. I have heard of guys using Synergin and never having any problems. I would find it hard to believe that the oil caused all that but you never know. I would be more suspect that maybe all the oil was pumped up out of the tank or pan and you just had no oil to the bearings. Does your data logger record oil pressure and if so can you see what happened?

4. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

We are running 100 pounds plus of oil pressure, and the motor is making around 1700 horsepower.

It has been running the same combo for many years... This was just all new parts for the new season.

It was definately starved for oil somehow... I was told by the engine builder that he has seen that before with the synergyn oil.

He said he would only use Brad Penn.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

We use Amerilube synthetic oil and have never had problems. I believe Synergyn oil has been used by Jim Oddy and Warren Johnson in the past without problems and a few other racers. Which of their oils were you using and what viscosity?

Do you have a data logger on the car and does it record oil pressure?

6. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

No data logger.... We have a good old fashoned dummy light that comes on at 40#... The light never came on.

7. mark6052

mark6052 Member

Its easy to blame the oil. how sure are you that it wasnt driver error:eek: not trying to be a smart arse. did you short shift a gear? shake and short shifting can cause the same things. bearings, etc. just my 2cts. this did more than just blacken a crank, it broke parts. some different things.

8. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

analysis

not saying you already haven't done an exaustive search into this problem. it's just a good rule of thumb to investigate such a parts failure and have several different theories of what could have happened, and try to find evidence supporting those theories.

it looks to definitely be an oiling problem. whether the oil itself was the issue, that's hard to tell. i would definitely look for other reasons than the oil. if it isn't the oil, might be expensive when you rebuild...

9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

changes

you mentioned new parts...what all did you change? you didn't change oil filters by chance? i've seen too fine a filter cause such a problem. M or V bearings? possbily a bearing problem? did it blacken any other bearings?

was bearing clearance checked?

10. mark6052

mark6052 Member

more engine info please

its late and my eyes are going, is this a blown chevy? Long ago I found that a titan oil pump was the only way to go with them.

11. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

We are running a titan oil pump, it is a BB Chevy, it has new screens / filters... etc.

It is an automatic car air shifted by rpm activation.

No missed shifts or anything like that.

We are still looking into it at this point.

12. mark6052

mark6052 Member

what weight oil are you using? and showing my lack of knowledge, is this a synthetic?

13. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

It is a 70 weight synthetic.

I was actually not aware it was a synthetic when I bought it, or I probably wouldnt have used it. I have never run synthetic in my cars before.

14. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I have run all synthetic in all my cars since 1979. Used Mobil 1 and have never had an egine failure or one that is worn out. We use 70 wt synthetic in the blower motor and no problems. Synthetic lubricants are used in all jet engines in all thoses planes you fly plus in all the jet fighters. The only drawback in synthetic oils in a blower motor is the amount of times the oil is changed makes it a little expensive.

15. James D

James D New Member

Holy crap that looks identical to what I just had happen to me. In our case we had broken the tranny the run before and skyed the motor. The heads apparently were hit by the pistons and hurt the bearings on two throws. Next run it threw a rod out just like your photo when we lifted in the lights. Do your heads show that they were hit?

16. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

Heads look fine... Did have one bent pushrod though.

17. Lonnie Houde

Lonnie Houde Member

We use Synergyn in our Blown motor and swear by it.