Supercharger performance

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by SoDak, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Cantrell

Kevin Cantrell sells a blower lube made by PJ1. Click on his ad on the right hand side of the site to contact him. Many of the top T/A teams are using it. Have had good success with the Prizm as well. Norm Drazy told me a while back you will have a hard time using too much of it. I've always applied it liberally each morning.

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Will, you use the gel on a screw blower?

3. JRB

JRB Guest

We do on our Pro Mod. Only prior to the 1st warm up everyday. Just to keep everything lubed up prior to the initial fire up of the day.

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

lube

Yes, we use it liberally on the screw blowers...spray it in prior to and during the warmup

5. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

Blower gel

Here is a test I tried after having a change in plug colour during the midsummer.
    I ran out of a gel we had used consistently from the start of the year and had changed to another that was slightly different. Then a supplier showed up at the race track in Milan and had a different product again but quite inexpensive so he gave us some to try, after i told him the new gel I was using I thought was showing up on the plugs. I too was a believer in you can't have too much lube in there, I think differently now. These are my results and all others can enjoy the paths they chose , this is not an Advertisement, just my findings.
    I borrowed some of the Coloured gel that I was used to, but had run out of from a TF team to test the 3 different brands. What I did was spray 3 old pistons tops and leave them for about 20-30 minutes one night while servicing the car, then I put a few drops of alcohol on the dome and moved the lube around. What I found was that questionable product that I was using stayed loose and actually emulsified to a hand cream colour and consistency. The supplier at the tracks product , was similar in that it was clear and slightly firmer than the first one . The product I had run out of was coloured but very similar to the 2nd one i had sprayed on but was a little more tacky . My plan was to recheck things in the AM and see how they had changed , but I went into the trailer 3-4 hours later and thought I would check them . What I found was the first had dropped into a pool in the valve relief but was tighter than when first sprayed but still a cream colour now . The second one was alot tighter and tacky to the touch and still transparent. the last "old faithful" was tight and tacky to the touch it actually would pull hair like strands 4-5 " up from the piston and the remaining on my thumb and forefinger were still slick to move but would strand as they were pulled apart.
    While this is not a scientific test by any means , I was able to reverse the plug colour by either one of 2 things that I did and the blower was 23 runs between service and still did not have wear significant enough to warrant strips . What we did was never spray on race day , always following service pull over by hand and spray liberally at night, and I went back to the coloured gel product VALCO Gel lube...... although I am not positive the others would not have firmed up enough after the accelerants/driers had cured . I am not a believer in spraying anything in it while running as most products will change combustion temperatures ,some are solvent based (wd40) etc.
    I am not saying anyone is doing Wrong , I am saying what I did was right for our situation . Les Mellows.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  6. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Les;

You gave your findings, but didn't cite any tested brands...

Would you mind sharing which brands did what?

7. rick ertel

rick ertel NTPA

dirt

what about dirt sticking to rotors w/lube or not? in dusty areas -tractor pull?

8. TOL

TOL Active Member

Is there a product suitable for superchargers that is more like a spray on graphite/teflon coating that would harden with a bit of body yet still conform and burnish?

Just wondering out loud. Have used such stuff on equipment before, but never in the confines of a supercharger.

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Rick, we do see fibers from belt wear in the blower stuck to the gel. I used to worry about it and now I don't. The fibers and dudt and bugs are going into the blower regardless of if you have gel or not. The gel allows you to see what has been going into the blower which you coould see before. Nothing changed.

TOL, a teflon spray or coating inside the blower might work. I would thing graphite would result in more wear.

10. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Ertel, I hated seeing great blowers being tarnished by dirt running through them so we starting running filters. Wow, what a difference! The other thing was our cylinder wall scratches virtually dissappeared.
    Do you run the Sno-Farmer?

11. rick ertel

rick ertel NTPA

yes

we use k+n filters on top motor of snofarmer and our mini mod.where it is the worst! what is your bio sodak?

12. adjones419

adjones419 New Member

Hey Jim, want to split an order?

13. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

i used wd40 lol