Suggestions/tips for new driver to TAFC

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

Funnycarbob
    Member # 44

Member Rated:
    posted 01-25-2004 04:04 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I made every rookie mastake that was listed here. I found that the EGO has to go. When you make a mastake tell your crew everything you did wrong. Take videos, they don't lie. You drive a dragster with your eyes. In a funnycar you need eyes, hands and your butt will tell if you are over driving. Remember a lost run is better than a lost car or worse

[ January 25, 2004, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Funnycarbob ]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posts: 79 | From: Adamstown Maryland | Registered: May 2003 |

2. tafc323

tafc323 afc

very good advise randy g. lifting off the loud pedal is always the best thing to do. and it doesnt make u a sissy either. when u lift u can always come back to make another run. getting back on the pedal does weird thing to the clutch and fuel system.

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

a couple years ago i got my first taste of an alcohol car in steve burck's tafc. i had very limited experience in fast cars, but alot of track time bracket racing my 12 second camaro in high school.

steve was crazy enough to give me a shot, but the way we went about it i think really set me up for success first time out. instead of going to the track the first time out, we went to an air strip. first thing - fired it up idled up and back down 100' or so. shut it off, got out, cooled it down again, went out and did a burnout and 'launch'. it essentially was another burnout because after i got 'comfortable' in the car i decided to do a frank manzo 6000 rpm 'launch' on bare concrete.....lol.

that really knocked the first time jitters out. we went to the track and i made a progression of hits that would have resulted in a half track pass had my visor not fogged up. nathan, u already have experience in a 5 second car, so you should be good. however, i would recommend firing it up putting the body down and getting a little acclimated.

i have driven an a/fuel car too, and the funny car rocks by far! there aren't many things cooler than a long burnout in a funny car... :D

4. T.Smith

T.Smith Top Dragster

Some words of advice, from a couple of my mentors...

"Your foot is not a rachet"-Tony Zizzo

"Tomorrow is another day"-Tony Zizzo

"You are your own worst enemy"-Fred Mandoline

[ January 25, 2004, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: T.Smith ]

5. Shawn Jones

Shawn Jones Jr. Dragster

I think the best advice I could give you is have someone around that has driven f/c's. When I was learning how to drive I had the benefit of having my dad as a teacher. I'm not going to lie and tell you it was easy, and there were plenty of times that I questioned my ability as a driver. Since my dad was patient with me, and an excellent teacher, I slowly have progressed as a driver. Since he has been in my shoes he was able to point out what I did wrong, and what I did right. The second thing you need to remember is don't try to be a hero. Your the one with the foot on the gas, so if your in over your head lift. It's better to look like a sissy with a race car in one piece, than it is to look like an a$$ with a smashed up car.

6. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

That was pretty good there Shawn, I remember seeing you at the Div. race here at Bandimere and I thought you looked pretty timid. And to see how well you finished last year was just amazing. I guess pateince does pay off. I remember how Timid Steve Gasparelli was his first few races. I'm curious what's harder to adjust to the car itself or the speed?

7. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

The speed is no problem, it's just how fast you get there that hurts! :eek:

8. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

RG, I assume like most other racers that you started out in something much slower than TAFC. You telling me the speed didn't take some getting used to?

9. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I bracket raced a 1960 Corvette that ran 9.30-9.40's from 1973 to 1976 at OCIR. Then I had an altered that Nick Arias, Dave Calvert and I put together that ran low 8's at about 170 MPH from 1979 to 1983. I sat out until 1990 when I licensed in a TA/FC.

The difference between a 170 mile per hour run in the altered to almost 250 is like you've switched to a totally different sport. The only thing similar was lighting the stage bulbs. After that, no comparison. It's probably the same from TA/FC to FC.

The confinment inside a funny car with it's limited visibility makes the sensation of speed very minimal...until you hit the chutes and feel the extra tug. The best way to describe the feeling of the chutes hitting would be a good bungie jump off a very high bridge. They don't hit with a jerk, but have a gradual grip on your chest that gets stronger as you start to slow and you actually can't breath because of the pressure from the G-force pushing you against the seat belts. Then a gradual release. It's a good feeling.

From 100' to 660' where the clutch is trying to lock up and a gear change is made is where many new folks loose their lunch because they get behind the car mentally. Drivers coming from slower cars would use the guardrail, centerline, grandstands and scoreboards as reference points on the track. You can't do that in a TA/FC because in a matter of seconds stuff you could barely see out the windshield is already behind you and your mind isn't fast enough to grab another point. By the time it does, you've past it, too. That's why it's important to pick a point well beyond the finish line. It helps slow the run down because you never reach it. More helpful hints from Shirley many years ago.

Pete Swayne made 18 runs in my TA/FC in 1997 and never got past 330'. He said he felt like a passenger in the back seat because he couldn't keep up with the car mentally. After the 18th run, we sent him to Frank Hawley's where Frank helped him concentrate. There, he ran a couple mid six second runs and got comfortable. The next weekend we went to Bakersfield where he did a great job compared to the first 18 runs. On his first pass, he ran a 5.94 at 215 because he lost the finishline and shut off a little early, followed by a 5.95 at 214. He had low to mid 5.80 incrementals. He said the things Frank told him about concentrating made all the difference in the world because he wasn't looking far enough through the windshield before. Not too long after that he went 250.

Pete described what he went through for the first 18 runs as an "out of body experience. I was in the car, but not the driver of the car" he said.

10. jdgmntl1

jdgmntl1 New Member

Good Luck Nathan we all know that you will drive as well as you have or better. Look forward to test and tune in the spring.

11. Colin

Colin New Member

Im no driver, but i do know that you should take out that tach, especcially if its the kind from Racepak that it LDC and has numbers. The last thing you need in that car is a bunch of numbers flashing in front of you while ur trying to stage.
    Also, I dont know if you do you burnouts rolling, or if you stop, rev it up, and let it go. But i think the best way is to stop, make sure the tires are wet, rev it up and let the clutch out.

by the way, im 15, i wouldnt be surprised you paid no attention to me. Ive worked on a TAFC for 4 years, so i kind of know what im talking about, lol.

12. Gerry Woz

Gerry Woz Comp Eliminator

Colin ..Dude..

Relax :cool: ...your asking way too many questions, you are all over this board ...I admire your enthusiasm...but you need to slowdown ,look and listen... absorb that information..that way you won't need to ask so many questions that will be answered in good time...probabaly one weekend at the track..by the way, here's a question for you..what car have you been with for four years?.. [​IMG]

13. Colin

Colin New Member

Look it aint me asking the questions its the owner of the team, im just relaying it. Weve been having a few problems. Im with Jerry Greens Mile High Express TAFC.

14. alkyfan

alkyfan New Member

Who is going to be driving the Green car this year? I noticed that there was two drivers last year, and I assume that Mr. Percoco won't be returning since he bought his own deal. So who's the next batter?

15. Colin

Colin New Member

Percoco simply filled in for Steve Griboski, but now Jerry is goin out to North Carolina to race with his son Kyle, who drove the car before Steve and a few other drivers including Dennis Taylor and Dan Southern. Theyre gonna race in the east and come back here for some division events here and maybe the US Nationals.

16. Colin

Colin New Member

Percoco simply filled in for Steve Griboski, but now Jerry is goin out to North Carolina to race with his son Kyle, who drove the car before Steve and a few other drivers including Dennis Taylor and Dan Southern. Theyre gonna race in the east and come back here for some division events here and maybe the US Nationals.
    Would i know who you are Alkyfan?

17. alkyfan

alkyfan New Member

Not that I am aware of.

[ March 09, 2004, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: alkyfan ]