Spokane 2014 Top Alcohol race

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by mark6052, Mar 8, 2013.

1. mark6052

mark6052 Member

This may be early but the question has come up with Craig. Would there be enough interest in holding a Top Alcohol race here next year. A western region race. I assume in May; but will see. I'm looking to see if there would be enough cars (8 min.) per class. It could be a chance for the PRA to come together here. For starters, how about car driver and eight (8) crew tickets? The top alcohol would be advertised and be the feature part of the show. Let me or Craig know. It's early but he has asked me to talk with anyone interested. And yes the track is better, this year we have changed to the pj1 to see how it works in cooler temps. Craigs email nitrocat626@aol.com thanks, mark

2. jeffj

jeffj Member

We would be there with bells on.
    I think the tracks that are running divisional races rather than regional races are contenders for an award.......and not a positive one. If you do the math, an 8 car field doing 3 qualifiers and the 3 elimination rounds is 38 passes and if you divide that by the $9k payout it is $236.84 per pass total payout. Look at your alcohol payout for 6 second cars offered for this year and tell me if a regional race would be a good deal or not. I think it is a spectacular deal and if advertised and sold to the potential spectators it could be a great investment.
    I raced at Spokane when the stands were full to overflowing years ago for a show not nearly as good as the current state of Alcohol Racing is today. These are very fast and professional operations which merit far more attention than they are "allowed" to generate. I raced at Spokane when Craig had, I think, a Hales Ales deal on his race car...am I correct or is alzheimers setting in.....anyway, we would race your event for sure.
    Jeff Johnsen

3. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Tafc

Sign me up too! I wouldn't miss it for the world. I for one was truly bummed when they didn't have the Top Alcohol classes this year. I am not nearly as bright as Jeff but I would like to think we put on a pretty good show that is easy to follow- first guy to the finish line wins! Real racing!! Dave Germain

4. Cdn526

Cdn526 Member

tad in seattle

If it could be the week before, or the following week after, the Mission LODRS divisional/regional, that would get us out that way.
    Clif
    TAD589

5. mark6052

mark6052 Member

Whats wrong with a 5.90 funny comp race Dave. :p (kicking bear in butt). With the lack of touring nitro cars you guys are the fastest full 1/4 mile race cars out there. No 1000ft bracket race here.

6. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

5.90 class

I hate to admit it but I have a tune-up for 5.90. We ran 5.90s all over the place last year. Now if I could just cut a light.......Dave Germain

7. The Zone

The Zone Member

Would it be like you said a western regional race. That one is to be decided within the division directors and the current divisional track operators.
    There are only three regional races per division I don't think that will change. Now if you are talking about a true TA booked in show then I think that would be awesome. The TA classes get no respect anywhere anymore. Woodburn is the last track I know of that actually books in the cars anymore (do they still?) I know joey and Gregg L, and Brian Ashwells and Dave and a few others run the one feature race.

I do think it should pay quite a bit more then a regional race though. a 9K purse for TAD or TAFC is a joke. Pro Mods get 12k (that was the cost for WCPMs) in the NW. That would be a decent start but I say 15K for an 8 car field is more fair.

Dean

8. mark6052

mark6052 Member

My interest is to help Craig see if there is enough interest to approach the director for next year. Yes It would be a "real" WR race. Or maybe an OPEN if thats what is wanted. As for monies, I have seen the proposals. Its always easy for another to say what the track should pay. I have been told that top alcohol should be payed $1000 per pass. I don't think Woodburn pays that much. :D As to having an 8 car field, thats what I'm looking for.

9. tad2155

tad2155 Member

Tad

Dean sure do miss the alky car but this is why i quit,, still thinkin of building an A-Fuel promod, or a nostalgia engine in a promod,,,, locally it is run wat ya brung, $4k pay to the winner once a month but oh well
    GK

10. The Zone

The Zone Member

Hey Guy, Man what I would give to see a injected nitro pro mod. unfortunately it would have to be run at an outlaw track or IHRA. NHRA rules don't allow. In the outlaw world even at an NHRA track I don't see the reasoning for not having it.

Sorry to get off topic on this thread.

The Regional deal sucks bad right now in the NW, I do think there should be four minimum up here in div six. We already struggle with car counts and having to only claim three for national points means the guys going for points have no reason to travel or even attend NW events. They can run enough in the South.

Dean

11. tad2155

tad2155 Member

a -fuel

will it b advantage to build bigger cu inch a fuel engine say 474 ?? there is no wgt limits to cubes in the series

12. clint thompson

spokane regional

Yes we would support a WR race in Spokane. Love that track.

13. NITRO

NITRO ??

Spockane 2014

The AHRA is looking...
    Could be a good show !
    Nitro.

14. mark6052

mark6052 Member

It would be fun to have a AHRA finals back in Spokane. Now back to our regular programing.

15. Brad Hansen

Brad Hansen Member

We would attend any Top Alcohol races Spokane would schedule, Regional or match race.

16. mark6052

mark6052 Member

There are two (2) races this year for dragsters. July 19-20 and the Aug 16-17. Note, Aug is the same dates as the race in Seattle.

17. The Zone

The Zone Member

Slightly off topic but related to the above post

Spokane did the same date (July 20-21) as Mission's National Open as well, and have advertised Nitro Funny Cars, which is what Mission has. A heritage NFC event.. Very bad in division decision by Spokane, even if only a couple cars go to Spokane, it hurts Mission. I know of one NFC racer (Chris Davis) who was planning on racing at Mission until Craig called him.

Also this just in Woodburn gets a second TA regional race this year. In september

Dean

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  18. mark6052

mark6052 Member

Mission could change there dates.

Admittedly it has been a learning curve for Craig. It's easy to see the mistakes after the dates are set. Some tracks hold on to a date as "tradition". with only so many good weekends to run it is important for them to really talk with each other. I think with the addition of Chuck Sundstrom to the team things will get better for planning.

19. The Zone

The Zone Member

Mission could or should change the date for their national open they have had for 20 years. Does not sound real smart unless they wanted something different on their schedule at that date. It is one of the longest standing races in the NW. Craig actually knew they were running funny cars (nitro) at that date but thought the one or two local guys would run their local track instead of traveling to Mission (It makes then have to choose) and takes away the posibility of those guys going somewhere new. (the one or two feel obligated to support the local track). In the NFC class I feel every car makes a different

Spokane's date for their big event was always the last weekend of July wasn't it
    Dean

20. mark6052

mark6052 Member

Dean, its to bad we didn't have your 20/20 foresight to help. As to a track holding a date as if its "theirs" only. That's helpful. Spokane used to hold the ahra world finals in August. Always had a good turnout, cars and spectators. BUT, Orville would adjust the date depending on when the nhra had a free weekend. So much for the theory; it has to be on the same weekend always. Spokane will get by and things will get better, If this is the only date that steps on the other div6 tracks dates we're lucky. Oh wait, Seattle is having the divisional race the same dates in August as Spokane, maybe you should talk to them.