Smokin Hemi

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Money Shot, May 10, 2011.

1. GregM784

GregM784 Member

gapless = smoke?

I'm fighting the SAME problem on my blown small block.

[​IMG]

I've resealed the intake a couple times, my guides are a little loose, but under boost,oil shouldn't come in, and my leak down is < 2%. Guess what...gapless 2nd ring, TotalSeals.

I think this thread just made me call for a new set of rings..... :(

2. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

Hone

Did not hone cylinders.

3. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

So without jumping on the "get rid of the Total Seal Gapless 2nd" bandwagon (yet), what is the cause of this? If it is just on the hit and no signs of detonation, what difference does it make? To be clear, I don't like the idea of having an engine smoke at all. Do the gapless 2nds make more power or not through the rest of the run? If I have a puff at the hit (in my case it seems to be fuel and not oil) and make more power down the track, I'll take the puff. The only negative thing I have heard about gapless 2nd rings is the top ring can flutter with gases caught between it and the 2nd ring. I don't have anything to back this up but would like to know what would cause this.

4. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I don't know about power. I've only ran gapless with this combo.

I do know, that with these gapless rings, my oil stays looking brand new. That has to mean i am getting good ring seal.

5. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

I read somewhere that increasing the gap of the second ring allows for less pressure build up between the top and second rings,reducing flutter of the top ring and increasing the overall seal of the cylinder.