Shelly Howard remembered...

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Apr 3, 2005.

1. TAD1128

TAD1128 Member

Our Condolences to the entire Howard Family. My father called to tell me the news Sunday morning. I got to meet Shelly a few times and before I knew her I always cheered for her (us ladies have to stick together!). I am saddened by this news and it definately reminds you life is short so cherish those around you. Shelly, the Alcohol class will miss you.

Karen Benkovich

2. 007

007 Jr. Dragster

Doc,Tracy,Jennifer and the Shelly Howard crew

My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time
    Shelly and Brian you will be missed by many

Mark Gardner

3. Matt Curry

I was instantly grief stricken when I heard the tragic news of the passing of Shelly and Brian. As a crew member of a TAD team I have had the chance to meet with Shelly many times. Our teams relationship started with a common relationship with Tom Conway. Shelly was always upbeat and she was always there for a quick chat or a little bench racing. Shelly was a heck of a driver and one that you always feared when you had to race her. Her team was first class all the way and they were never taken lightly. Shelly will forever be missed both on and off the track.

My prayers go out to her family, her crew and race team, and the entire NHRA drag racing community especially the Top Alcohol drivers and crews in this great time of sadness.

RIP Shelly and Brian, you will never be forgotten.

4. AHopper

AHopper New Member

There are no words to say about the tragic accident. I was rasied at the race track, both my Grandpa and Uncle "The Keiths" have raced with her for 20 years. My families prayers and thoughts go out to all of you!

Andrea

5. Copeland Racing

Our entire team is in total shock. Shelly was a wonderful friend and will be missed by us all. We are fairly new to racing, but over the last 3 years we have gotten to know Shelly and her crew. My daughter, Amanda and daughter-in-law Crystal especially loved talking to Shelly at every race we met at. My son James Nick II, our driver, thought Shelly was quite a lady and really enjoyed racing against her. We had the greatest respect for her and her team. Our thoughts and prayers will be with the Howard family and if we can be of any help, please let us know.
    With your new wings, Shelly, may you race Home to be with Our Father.
    Love always,
    Copeland Racing
    Angie, Nick, James Nick, Crystal, Amanda, John, Kristen, Daniel and Michael.

[ April 07, 2005, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Copeland Racing ]

6. Keith W.

Keith W. New Member

Words cannot express how terrible I feel today upon hearing the news about Shelly.

I met Shelly through a friend of hers years ago, and my best memory of her is when we were first introduced at the track in Wichita, KS. Not only did she greet me like a friend she already knew, she invited me into her pit area and to ride in the tow vehicle so I could get to where the action is up close. Shelly won that event, and even invited me to be in the picture during the awards ceremony. Needless to say I have been a big fan ever since.

I haven't seen Shelly in a while and have really missed her. As I think of her I will remember how she welcomed me into her circle and the smile on her face that day in Wichita.

7. Drag Aunt

Drag Aunt New Member

IN LEIU OF FLOWERS

FOR SHELLY HOWARD

SEND DONATIONS TO: RACERS FOR CHRIST
    PO BOX 1208
    GILBERT, AZ 885299-1208

FOR BRIAN HOWARD

SEND DONATIONS TO: SPECIAL OLYMPICS
    1133 19TH STREET
    WASHINGTON,DC 20036
    WWW.SPECIALOLYMPICS.ORG

THANK YOU

8. Wheat Motorsports

Wheat Motorsports New Member

Our hearts and prayers go out to the Howard family. Shelly was a great lady and both she and Brian will be sorely missed.

Sincerely,

Wayne Wheat
    Wheat Motorsports

9. Dragcom

Dragcom New Member

I am not only praying for the Howard family but also for all of you who knew Shelly as a friend. I know many were closer to hew than others.

I first met Shelly and Paul back in 1994 at a race in Texas. They had blown their motor on the first qualifying shot on Friday and tried to sell my Dad and me some of the pistons out of the motor. Each time I ever saw Shelly she was always so nice. I'm grateful to be able to say I knew Shelly Howard.

May the Howard family and all of you who are hurting from this tragedy receive the peace and rest you need.

[ April 04, 2005, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Dragcom ]

10. LEN COTTRELL

LEN COTTRELL Member

In my 45 years of drag racing I have lost a lot of friends and am aware of a lot of others who have lost their lives to the sport, but this is the saddest loss of all. Condolences to Paul and his family.
    Len Cottrell & the entire extended "Chicken Chokers Team".

11. D Stone

D Stone New Member

I am still in shock over the loss of Shelly and Brian. It just doesn't feel real...

I first met Shelly in 2000 thru my cousin, Shane Conway. I was 22 at the time and had some apparent self-esteem issues. From the moment I met Shelly she was interested in me and what was going on in my life; she was ever-gracious, more than generous, had an ornery sense of humor, and welcomed me into her home. It wasn't hard to befriend Shelly and her family instantly. I had an open invitation to the Howards' home from that point on and was invited to watch her race whenever I could.

Not only did Shelly befriend me but my grandmother as well. Once a week, if she wasn't racing, she would try to meet us for dinner or a movie, not to mention shopping! During the time we spent together Shelly made me realize that I could do whatever I set my mind to and to never take no for an answer when it wasn't warranted. When I said, "I can't" Shelly would repsond "Why not?"

I got married in 2003 and since have been busy with "life" and all that goes with it. I never had the multi-tasking knack like Shelly did. I have not been able to spend much time with Shelly in the last year, though I've tried to keep up through my cousin and other family members.

Shelly, you and Brian will always be a part of my heart and I thank you for helping me grow as a person!

Paul, Jennifer, and Tracy--we love you and pray for you daily!

12. Vitali Kazakevich

Vitali Kazakevich New Member

The words cannot describe the loss that is felt by everybody that knew Shelly. Entire Natural Dragster Racing team extends our condolences to Howard family and the crew.
    We will keep you in our prayers.

Vitali, Kurt, John, David, Rand.
    TAD436

13. lrodkey

lrodkey New Member

An Angel in Disguise.....
    I met Shelly 30 years ago.
    One night she was visiting,
    & I walked by with my new boyfriend.
    Shelly said he's cute, hang on to him...
    We'll be married for 23 years in May.
    Shelly (GODMOTHER) was there when both of my children were born.
    Shelly always had a special sparkle,
    Brian a warm glow...
    They were Angels here on earth
    & Heavens Angels Now!
    Paul, Tracy, & Jennifer your in our thoughts & prayers.......
    our deepest sympathy......
    Love,
    Brian, LaDonna, Chance & Cassidy Rodkey

14. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Hi, this has been very hard for me to write because I have never lost a friend before, especially in this way.
    I was Shellys hairdresser and close friend for many years and I will miss her more than I can express to you on here. She had a certain idea of what real friendship was that attracted me from the start and I got to know her and Paul even better after my first race.
    I have to say, I was definitely pulled in by it (racing) and by her and her shyness about how good she was! I had no idea, none at all until I went with her and her crew to Indy. I was in love with dragracing immediately and tried as hard as possible to go with her whenever I could.
    I was there in Noble when she had her first crash and I guess I just thought that would never happen to her again since it happened rarely anyway...
    I kept anything to do with the time I had there,the nights spent in her truck and the mornings where we had long conversations while applying mascara and such.
    Shelly definitely had a major impact on my life and I always knew I could turn to her with anything and get the real truth. I always knew and felt that she was one of my best of friends.
    I will really miss blowdrying that long blonde hair.
    Hope I havent been too sappy because I know she would have hated that!!
    My love to you always Shelly, Your friend Lisa

15. Wendy Yates

Wendy Yates New Member

We would like to extend our thoughts and prayers to the Howard Family for what they have endured.

Doc, you are always and will always be in our thoughts.

Eric and Wendy Yates
    Larry and Jerry Clayton
    Cristie Yates

16. Jason O'Brien

Jason O'Brien Jr. Dragster

To Paul, Jennifer and Tracy

I am so sorry. Words can't express the sorrow that I am feeling.

Shelly was a wonderful person and I know she will be missed. Brian was my friend, he taught me things about myself that I could have never figured out on my own.

Sometimes I wish that I didn't make the decision to be here, because the people that I was once close to are now so far away. I never really had the chance to say how I felt. I wish I could be home, maybe just to be close. It is in my deepest regret that I am not.

Thank you Shelly, Brian and the Howard Family for all the love that you have shared with me and others over the years.

Brian was by far the happiest person I have ever met in my life. His love for people was neverending. I am fortunate for knowing him. We should all be so lucky.

Jason, Sarah, and Ethan O'Brien

17. ChanceP

ChanceP New Member

My deepest sympathy goes out to the Howard family. The little bit that I knew them Shelly and her husband were always VERY friendly and someone you would wanna help out in any way. Our thoughts are with you.

Chance Payne

18. KJC

KJC Authorized Merchant

Cantrell's Racing (TAD14) would like to extend our deepest and most sincere sympathy to the family of Shelly and Brian. Our thoughts and prayers go to the Howard family at this most difficult time.

19. Serge TAD 182

Serge TAD 182 New Member

Our toughts and prayers to the Howard family and close Friends.

Serge TAD-13 (Dan Mercier Racing)

20. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

Shelly's legacy....That no matter who you were and what you accomplished, she was always a friendly face and warm heart...No matter how bad things were going that day, she always had a positive take on the day...and did every thing possible to cheer people up....The world needs more people like Shelly who gave unselfishly to try to make our world (and our racing world) a better place. She had the knack of bringing out the best in people and by doing that brought out the best in herself. We can only hope that the rest of us are thought of this way, enjoying the friendship and respect of our peers.

Rest in peace my friend and God speed to you and your son.

Mike and Janet Kosky