Setting a standard for crowd attendance at divisionals

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Oct 9, 2007.

1. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

NHRA will have $100 million in cash once their sale to HD Partners closes. They could split the cost of advertising with the tracks in maybe a dollar for dollar match.

In another thread Will started a while back on the topic of letting more drag race fans know the TA classes even exist, he or someone else had the great idea of showing at least a few first rounds of the TA classes on ESPN's Saturday night coverage of Pro qualifying at national events. Also, the TA classes could at least get some mention during the sunday coverage of the pro eliminations.... possibly just showing the final rounds. At these times they could inform the fans that NHRA has divisional events.. "please check schedules on NHRA.com" That would take what?..... 30, 40 seconds? Just these two things along with my idea in the paragraph above would greatly increase attendance at divisional events.
    I hate to say it, but I think NHRA purposely doesn't promote divisional events in fear a certain number of fans may opt to attend a divisional event over a national event.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  2. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Nhra

First- does anybody from NHRA read these postings? I sure hope so, it is sort of a like a Dr checking his patient's pulse.
    Second- The NHRA has demonstrated repeatedly over the years that they don't give a damn about the racers. Walt Austin told me that when they had the press conference to announce the Red Wing shoe sponsorship that the NHRA rep took the Red Wing guy aside and tried to talk him into sponsoring a event rather than a single team. Fortunately the Red Wing guy was more loyal than the NHRA was. With the sanctioning body trying to steal team sponsors why should we imagine they care one little bit about the race teams themselves? Nascar has helped their teams to secure sponsors for years, they understand that healthy race teams means healthy racing sport. I have said for years that if the NHRA doesn't wake up and help their teams to succeed they will go the way of the unlimited hydroplane races. Dave Germain

3. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

I had another TAD owner tell me at Dallas that he is close to some of the pro racers and they have had meetings wit HD. He was told that the TAD and TAFC classes would not be part of the National events and they are leaning toward two day events with qualifying on Sat. and racing on Sunday. I'm not to sure this wouldn't be a better deal for most TAD and TAFC. Maybe then NHRA will put some effort into the divisional races with sponsors, increased prize money, and advertising. If they used the Sportsnational races as regional races and included us you could still have a national champion. What good does it do to run a national event. You don't get on TV on race day when everyone is watching. They don't even cover it in ND the week following the event. So who needs it?

4. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

Removing the TA classes from national events would be a brutal blow to the classes. Why run at national events? Aside from racing on the better prepped tracks than div. events....because your sponsors want you there...regardless of TV air time. Sure you don't get shown on TV on raceday with the pros but you do get your own hour show anyway... more than you'd get if you were shown on raceday w/ the pros. Some tv is better than no tv. Without it... many sponsors will go away and many potential new ones will no longer even consider sponsoring a TA car.

5. SICTOR

SICTOR hola amigos!

I would agree with you sir...HD Partners, to have qualifying on Saturday and Eliminations on Sundays. for a team on a budget and not having to use your vacation day on Friday. We'll I liked the format at Bakersfield, 3pm 6pm 9pm. But for a national event with noise rules coming into the mix more likely the run order would be around the hours of 9am 12pm 3pm. I just hope HD partners brings some healthier food vendors at the track & real breakfast burritos.

6. PANMAN

PANMAN Super Comp

:mad:
    I heard the same thing from a team who is alegedly going pro next season??
    nix the alky classes from Nationals and give us Sports Nationals to compete at. Sounds like at some point we are history from the traditional National event. Just a rumor i guess.:mad: