SCS blowers

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by HEMIdude, Oct 7, 2007.

1. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

Anyone here know anything about SCS blowers? I just noticed our has a 15" opening in the top but our JBR 4-hole carbon fiber hat has only a 10" hole. Should we be using an adapter spacer plate between the blower and hat?

2. G FORCE JUNKIE

G FORCE JUNKIE New Member

scs

I have one as well, seems to be a great blower!!:) I would give them a call to ask specific questions as to set up etc, even though they don't build the blower any more they seem very knowledgeable about them, still service them and willing to help!

SCS Gearbox, Inc.
    739 W. Main St.
    Bellevue, Ohio 44811
    Phone: 419-483-7278

Good luck!!

3. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

Thanks G,
    Yes it's been a great blower for us too. We get asked a lot of questions at the track whenever we have the bag off of it. Everyone's curious about the billet case.
    I've had their number for a while. The tech support from them has been pretty sketchy on these as it seems the only person there that knows anything about them is the designer/owner and it seems he's seldom there.
    We bought this one from Bob Gotschalk about 4 or 5 years ago. It worked great for quite a while then we sent it down to "a shop in Columbus, OH." a year ago to be restripped and freshened up. We've only made a few passes on it since and now the rotors are rubbing the rear end-plate. The rotors turn fine and don't rub the rear end-plate until we put the gears on the rotors and tighten them down.
    Does your blower have any shims behind either of the gears in front of the bearings?
    Does your blower have a 15" cut-out in the top? If so, what is the opening in the bottom of your hat?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  4. Lethal Threat Racing

I also have one I use as a back up blower. It is a GREAT Blower. The only one I ever would trust is SCS. The rotors are made diffrent than others, is what I was told. Timing the rotors is done diffrent also. I have Serial # 3.
    It was used on a Top Fuel car in the early 90's The NHRA made billet blowers outlawed and this made SCS very mad an he vowed to never do anything with NHRA again.

Mine is a High HELIX Delta Reto Opening. I will take Diam. and post later.

P.S if someone would like this Blower it is for sale 2500.00

5. buckeyehauler

buckeyehauler Member

Scs

The owner of SCS gearbox, Mike Sage, has "retired" and moved to his island in Florida. His son Craig now owns and runs the company. Mike is a very intelligent guy who has built some very interesting pieces for motorpsorts use, and had some very good ideas put into his superchargers well before their time. Craig Sage is very easy to talk to and I am sure will help you out the best he can or direct you to one of his employees that can.

6. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

It was explained to me that these blowers were basically built per request of Alan and Blaine Johnson when they were running TAD as they wanted a blower that could survive a small nuclear explosion. At a PRI show Mike Sage told me he made rotors for nearly all blower manufacturers up until 10 or 15 years ago. At his booth he was displaying a really unique outdrive unit for offshore race boats made entirely of billet alluminum. The entire drive moves vertically and you could independantly change the angle of the prop shaft with a seperate button from the button for the main up-down movement of the entire outdrive. According to Mike, Mercruiser really, really wanted to buy the patent and were giving their outdrives away free to everyone Mike was trying to sell his units to.

7. Lethal Threat Racing

The opening is 10 1/2" by 4 1/8"

IT has never been touched. IT does have three diffrent bolt location for difftrent hats.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

Blown,
    Thanks for posting the reply and pics. Wow, your's isn't cut out to the rear like ours is. Your's has a presure relief that our's doesn't as well. On ours it is visible where the opening used to be just like yours because it was cut out after the case was anodized. The extra cut-out 5 inch area to the rear is not a simple squaer cut-out. Picture your opening with a Y saped behind it. I put the underline under the "Y" because it's part of the shape of the opening. The flat area behind where the carbon hat meets the blower is flat and compltely covering the now cut out 5 inch opening. I'll try to take and post pics in the next few days. Now i'm wondering just who cut it out and why. My partner called Craig Sage today but focused on the dilema of the rotors dragging on the rear of the case and forgot to ask about the opening in the top. Does you blower have any shims between the gears and bearings/. Craig says they are needed to get the teeth of the gears to mesh correctly. We're thinking "the shop near the Columbus airport" either didn't realize this or shims out. I'll have to call Craig Sage tomorrow to see if he knows anything about the modified opening. We should probably talk to Gotschalk (who we bought the blower from) and see if he knows anything about it. I exchange e-mails with Jeff Burnet at Compsoite Specialties about the mismatch in the blower and injector openings and he said to call him about a way yo "do things to that injector that will make not using a spacer unneccessary". I'll call him tomorrow to see what he's talking about.
    What overdrive do you run your's? Gotschalk told us to run it at +67%. It makes 37 pounds @ +67%.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  9. Lethal Threat Racing

This blower on my 509 Chevy conventional headed motor made 30 lbs at 20 % over drive and 42lbs at 50% on my 526 BAE 6 Hemi.

I was running it all year on the black strips and that was 45 to 60 passes. The white Teflon I would replace every 30 or so passes.

If you have a 14.2 SFI Blower device the plate between the Blower and the hat will cover the open area that is not need.

10. craig moss

craig moss Member

scs huffer

I am going to look at one is there any pros or cons I am switching from a mike kuhl delta std helix billit rotor 14-71 how much diff is there it looks good in the pics any input would be great craig moss 918 271 0154:confused::mad::cool::eek:

11. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

Blown,
    What kind of rpm's are you buzzing your engine to when it makes that sort of boost. Our car has only had a 4.10 in it and it's seldom buzzed higher than 7,500. We're going to put a 4.88 in it for the last event of the season which is 1/8 mile. Next year we'll likely put a 4.56 in it.

12. Lethal Threat Racing

The BBC was 8000 and the Hemi 8800.

MR Moss this one is for sell and I will be in Tulsa Next weekend.