Saving IHRA Alky FC

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Thurston

Thurston New

Open Invitation

Michael, I do understand what you are saying, the camaraderie is a big factor of why car owners, drivers, and especially the crews work so hard to do this for such small financial rewards. From my vantage point I think there’s more interaction between the teams at IHRA races. Don’t shoot me NHRA guys because I know a good amount goes on there as well, and I’m certainly not the social butterfly of the racetrack. My crew seems to be doing a pretty good job of getting to know everyone over the past 3 years. I have had to mention to Paul Noakes that we both have had problems waking up our crews early Saturday morning. Drinking had to have come in a close second to Hockey as Canada’s national sport, and it seems to be a very popular regional sport in the northeast. So Michael, if you make it to a IHRA race you or anyone else has an open invitation to stop by our pit area, break some bread, and share a couple barley pops with us.
    Jim Thurston

2. Tim Stevens

Have to disagree with you Michael, at least as far as IHRA TAFC racing goes, we still do all those "fun" things, but when you pull to the line..LOOK OUT! At least 90% of us anyway would do anything for anybody, cook out, party, etc... There are always a couple of teams that alienate themselves from the rest..they are just missing out on the "experience"...the reason we do this...and we all know its not for the $$! Tim

3. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

One thing I have heard said more than once is that there isn't much difference in et's between IHRA alky f/c and pro mod. That either makes the pro mods look really fast, or the alky f/c's look really slow.
    I used to run a roots in the old days, too. If I had to go back to one I'd be dusting off my golf clubs before I'd do it.
    If IHRA allowed screw blowers and they held an event in my back yard, I'd be there. 5.60's and 5.50's might wake up the troops and make things more interesting to a potential series sponsor.

4. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

Ihra ..... Nhra ...... Nahra .....ushra ??

Everyone seems to be forgetting a very important factor , IHRA even if they do secure all the funding they DON'T want any more cars !! And from the point of view of the ROOTS contenders If the Ship is sinking , we don't want any more competitors either ...... thus better odds for the $10,000. Sort of like a "house game" in a different location every couple of weeks . Ihra has a great TV package , with good exposure, excellent comaraderie and good competition. IHRA says it's all about Economics ........ well so do I !!! To those who are happy running NHRA for that money stay and be happy , when its over in IHRA those who can afford the change will step over , some of those who couldn't stand the DRAMA of the Polburn and Peaco Circus have already made that decision.
    As far as the competition is stale I helped another AFC this year that improved his best ET at 4 events, his best MPH 2 times and won 2 events and r/u at another, 3 other drivers were Winners for the first time ! ... is that stale competition ?? how many first time winners in NHRA F/C ??
    As far as the times are close to Pro Mod . I disagree, but I will say there is very few teams (1 maybe 2 ?) that are changing their combination or developing new parts for a ROOTS application. But some of that technology has Directly influenced the Pro Mod developments. I also think that the Pro Mod record @ 5.990 is not just around the corner from a 5.685 , but it does have 40-50 guys all flogging it weekly to develop the necessary advances to stay in the hunt.
    If it was a matter of only car counts I say bring in the screw and modify the rules environment better so that they can crossover to both sanctions and all can compete. I feel there is absolutely no sense to just opening up the rules to mirror NHRA because that will eliminate the roots combination from competitive racing in a F/C and that I don't believe is the goal.
    I agree with the A fuel F/C and would love to see it, or 35 % in the tanks for ROOTS cars ?? but it aint gonna happen its just a danger (insurance issue?) that they will not deal with .
    We have to remember they IHRA - NHRA owe us NOTHING they are doing us a favour !
    Its all a huge rush and a hell of a good time , all we can do is enjoy it while it lasts !! Wherever that may be .

5. Tim Stevens

Who was at the Awards Banquet this weekend? Was anything "official" said or announced. If not, any "concrete" rumors about the class or a sponsor?? Spending LOTS of $$ right now and its not on screw chargers! Hopefully not for a "museum piece" either!

6. michael hall

michael hall New Member

Thurston

Jim, thank you for the invite,I just might take you up on it. I have worked for Cindrich & Sheetz for the past several years on their alky dragster then funny car. WE have so much fun and the people that stop bye seem to see this and share our excitement. There are a few teams that share our feelings and we always try to venture out of our pit to socalize when we have time. And yes there are many teams in Div 1 that are the same. The Horners, Kenny Winward, Bruce Mullins, Dan Pomponio and many others that are alot of fun to be around.Their crews and family make it fun just to show up at the track. I have not been to any IHRA races only due to scheduling and my work at Capitol Raceway on the other weekends, but I will certainly try to make it out. Some of the old school racers know how I feel and see it too, but I guess it is just progress and a new way to look at old fun...

7. Tim Stevens

Come on! SOMEBODY had to ga to the Banquet??!!:confused:

8. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

No News ! In this case that is good news. At this point we are still a part of '07.
    P.S - only 4 AFC competitiors were at the banquet .

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  9. Tim Stevens

Thats too bad, Maybe next year we will have an excuse to be there:D ! Make that, WE WILL BE THERE NEXT YEAR!! Now its time to shut up and get to work, March will be here before ya know it.

10. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Any word from the PRI show about this

Are we still a go