Sacramento NHRA Division 7 event

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Joker Racing, Apr 28, 2004.

1. was R4K

was R4K Member

Works for me Mitch- you definately earned the right to speak your mind on this issue! See ya in Mission.

2. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

:mad:

The west coast isn't the only place where tracks like this exist and the alcohol cars are scheduled. US-13 in Delmar finally was removed from the alcohol cars schedule this year. Cecil County while a fast racetrack still has the Armco guardrails. At least ten years ago, Robert Sweet drove his TAFC into the guardrail at about the 800 foot mark. Luckily he wasn’t hurt badly, but the track was down for guardrail repairs for a few hours. In 2000, I watched Ian Landies lose his life because of those damn guardrails.
    At any speed, those rails rip apart anything that hits them. In my opinion, all these tracks should be shut down until they put in the concrete barriers.
    NHRA really needs to step up and force these tracks to update their facilities. Some of these guardrails have been in place since the seventies. Can you imagine racing with 1970 helmet technology, seatbelts, arm restraints, etc??

The fact that NHRA hasn't stood up yet makes you wonder what the hell they are doing.
    One more death or major injury is one too many.

Wasn't NHRA founded on SAFETY???

3. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

After this weekend, I won't go back either.

4. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Hey Mitch:

Thanks for the heads up. I have no intention of EVER going there again. So, an apology wouldn't be necessary. I'd sell my stuff and donate the money to Michael Jackson's legal fees before I'd risk running at a hole like that. Why did you go back in the first place?

RG

5. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Larry:

Read what happened...but what happened?? Sounded like you smoked the tires, motor hit high "C" and ka-boom?

If I'da been there, I would have helped you swap in a new one...naw, I would have talked you into leaving while you still had your wallet.

RG

6. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

Randy,
    No Hi-C. Caught it before it got to 5800. It just got sooooo loose sooooo quick. It was also way backed down. Big hit on the pocket book for a lot of people.

7. JACK BURR

JACK BURR New Member

RANDY & DT are RIGHT, We went to SAC to get some POINTS & experience for the drver. Mike is OK, THANK GOD!!! THANK YOU, Dennis Taylor Safety Equipment, Simpson Helmets&Fire Suits, CROW Seat Belts
    We are not new at this class. so we "Knew" what to expect!! We went there to get some experience for the DRIVER,CREW,and CAR. NHRA said we had to aquire points to be elgible to race other races( National Events) Yes we are a NEW TEAM,But NO, we are not new beginners, Mike is a past World Champion ("OWNER" Top Fuel Dragster with Kelly Brown driving in 1978) so he knows what to expect! The race track surface was not to blame. We chose to race there! THE STEEL GUARD RAIL WITH SQUARE WOODEN POSTS was the PROBLEM. If there was a concrete guard rail , we would be racing again in a couple of months, The car hit one of the post, took the front end off and then CARTWHEELED.

8. robert

robert New Member

glad to hear mike is ok

9. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

This place sounds like Stanton, Mi. The shithole of division 3!

10. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

Damn I feel out of the loop, when did this Mike Drake deal happen? Randy, can Fontana handle 5 sec. cars both Traction/Shutdown?

11. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Read the coverage on Sac on Drag Race Central which reported Mike's crash.

DT is going to find out Saturday if it can handle it.

12. maxkakl

maxkakl New Member

Amen to that ch3no2 its pretty sad that they make 5 second cars run at that dump. "Dedicated to safety" ............except at Stanton

13. David Smith

David Smith Member

14. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

That car was one of the last to come out of Kenny Mooers' California Gold Race Cars. Kenny crash tested his own car at Bakersfield about 11 years ago. His car went sideways at 700 feet, drove right through the armco guardrailing nearly ending up in the grandstands, pitched the body, slid around and ultimately pounded the I-beam that holds the scoreboard up on the right side of the track before coming to a stop. Kenny broke his ankle and that was it. A real tribute to Kenny's craftmanship because his cars saved lives.

Gerry, isn't your's built by Kenny Mooers?

RIP, Kenny.

[ May 05, 2004, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Randy G. ]

15. Gerry Woz

Gerry Woz Comp Eliminator

Randy;
    You are correct it is an original Kenny car...we love it :D ..it works perfectly with todays combos..if and when we get another chassis;(We were just talking about this last weekend at the shop), ..we would clone this one pipe for pipe and weld for weld...the craftsmanship is superb. The design is timeless.
    [​IMG] Hey let us know how Fontana is this weekend...aren't we supposed to have a Divisional event there next Year?

16. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

What if they held a divisional at Fontana...BUT EVERYONE CAME.

17. mitch myers

mitch myers Guest

Hey Randy, I was going back to Boise as they had replaced some of the aramco with concrete and I had my head up my butt. I was looking at the points deal the first year out with the A/fueler and just got stupid. It was a blessing in thier black balling me as I still have a car and they still have a shit hole of a track1

18. Barry H

Barry H Member

Randy, is the track at Fontana at the Speedway, and how is it placed? Call me if you need any help this Sunday.

19. Sportsman

Sportsman TA/FC

Mark tried to put the car into the guard rail to stop, since there were no chutes or tires left. But, unfortunately there was no guard rail past to the end of the track. If he had went another 75 feet he would have hit a motor home. We decided to race there, and we elected to not to go back. I hope Dave Smith Jr. makes a full recovery, there is nothing worse than Fire.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]