Ring gap

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by 65dodge, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I have to admit here that I have been running around like crazy trying to find my notes on the last engine rebuild. I did find them and discovered that I didn't use the .006 times the bore as specified and that I used the .007" times the bore. 4.50 time .007" which is for nitrous oxide because I thought the .006 was too tight. I did set the top ring and the 2nd ring to the same .031 gap to eliminate ring flutter. I have checked the rings after 8 runs and they are not butting together

Sorry if I threw a wrench in works there but I didn't want to lead anyone astray.

2. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

Mike,

As far as the information goes no problem, as to posting those instructions....I need to get a new set of glasses now :eek:

Richard Gavle

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Save them as a picture then you can blow them up and not need glases (lol)

4. 65dodge

65dodge Member

What about bigger gap on 2nd ring?

Another engine (non-blower, 600hp) I put together recommended that the second ring gap be larger than the top ring? Something about better ring seal? Anybody know if this is BS or what? Thanks for all the responses.

5. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

No need to save them. Hold the ctrl button and the mouse wheel will zoom in with internet explorer.

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

According to Speed-Pro and there research into better sealing rings the gaps in a high horsepower motor should be as above. It was found that if the ring gaps in the first and second rings were the same then ring flutter was not present and a better seal was made.

7. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

My last nitrous motor was built with the larger gap on the second ring. I asked the guys who dictated the build specs (a major distributer of small block Ford turbo engines) as well as another engine builder why the larger second ring gap. Both times the answer was the same, that the gap should be larger in the second ring to allow any combustion gas escaping the first ring to be allowed to exit the second gap and prevent ring flutter. I agree with both viewpoints, that the second gap should be bigger, but it seems to me that with both ring gaps set the same cold, then when the engine is operating under full load the 2nd ring gap will be bigger due to greater expansion of the top ring.

Just my 2 cent's

Richard Gavle

8. mbaker3

mbaker3 New Member

The following was found on the post that Mike sent about ring installation:

"NOTE: Most of the 2nd ring gap recommendations are larger than the top
    rings. Recent testing has proven that a larger 2nd gap increases the top ring’s
    ability to seal combustion. This larger “escape” path prevents inter-ring pressure from building up and lifting the top ring off the piston."

But if you look at the ring gap for Nitrous and blown, the first and second ring gaps are the same, as Mike is suggesting.

Here is a link to Mike's chart, it is a little easier to read for us old farts;)
    http://dssracing.com/images/Articles/library/pistonring.pdf

9. MKR-588

MKR-588 Member

I'm pretty sure that Total Seal still goes by larger at the top & a tighter second.

10. aj481x

aj481x Member

The reasoning behind larger second gaps is that once pressure gets past the first, you want to get rid of it. Several years ago Ford/Navistar discovered that this was a problem on their diesels and specified a huge gap on second ring. Just drove mechanics crazy, as no one could believe it.

As far as top ring end gap, if the rings show no sign of butting, you probably can go less. All motors are different, on blown alcohol, it will also change if you run a cold/hot tuneup vs. a hot/cold.