Rev limit a blown alcohol engine

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by MKR-588, May 2, 2008.

1. MKR-588

MKR-588 Member

Is there a safe way to put an RPM limiter on a blown injected alcohol engine?
    Reason is that its in a circuit boat & it came out of the water & had an over rev & we shattered a roller lifter. This is getting a bit expensive .Just trying to prevent this type of thing from happening again.

2. gregl

gregl Member

Yes.What type of ignition are you running?

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

There are two different types of rev limiters usedby MSD. Basically one is analog as used on a standard ProMag 44 or an analog ignition system and a digital rev limiter as used with the MSD 8972 Digital ProMag Controller or digital ignition systems. The analog systems have no control as to which cylinders are shutoff when the rev limiter is hit so they can shut down the same cylinder(s) in sequence over and over again and this can cause hydrolock and damage parts. The digital system can be controlled and never stops firing the same cylinder in a row. This is a Soft Touch rev limiter and is a lot easier on the motor.

If you hear both the analog and the digital on a Two Step during launch you can really tell the difference between the two.

4. MKR-588

MKR-588 Member

Should have mentioned from the start that we are using an upgraded Mallory super mag VI. I know its not the best ignition around but thats what the customer has to live with at the moment

For our use, what do you guys think of the MSD 10 units ? Do they have rev limiting capabilities ? What are the pro's & con's of this electronic system ?

5. Spud_Miller

Spud_Miller New Member

You can always use a PSI rev limiter with the Mallory. They work really well. If you don't want it to come back on when the engine speed comes down, you can use a latching relay with it. There's too much fluid in the cylinders to do that with a nitro setup, but lots of folks use them on alcohol just fine with no problems. There are lots of good used PSI limiters out there.

An Autometer Pro Control can be used just fine with the points-style Super Mags. It isn't selective either, but it works ok.

Spud
    www.fuelinjectionent.com

6. LeWhite

LeWhite BB/Alt

How about a Mag 20

7. gregl

gregl Member

I used to run a super mag with a psi rev limiter and blew up my motor due to over revving.The best way to limit rpms on a super mag is a rpm activated switch to a relay that will ground the + side of the coil when selcted rpms are reached.The mag 20 is the way to go.

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Greg, if you short out the coil then the motor is still pumping fuel into the cylinders. What happens then?

9. sean70ss

sean70ss Member

Rev-Limiter

Kaboom, Bang, Kaboom Man That Hurt!!!!

10. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

Are you saying the PSI rev limiters don't work correctly ?

Or that when they "come on" it does stop the rpm from going higher, but then the engine loads up with fuel ?

11. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

I don't think he's saying either.

The way I read it is this.

Grounding the coil until the RPM's come down is a bad thing.

Using a PSI isn't all that bad, because there's at least a centrifugal weight in there that bounces the ground on the coil randomly.

The MSD is the best, as it's a digital limiter that can cause the mag to simply not fire when it's supposed to and still not lose track of the RPM.

12. gregl

gregl Member

I am glad I never hit the rev limiter when I had it set up that way!!!The one time I blew up the trans with the psi it still saw the moon and shattered.

Last edited: May 6, 2008