restripping blower

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by blown375, Sep 11, 2005.

1. blown375

blown375 New Member

Hi guys, I'm fairly new with the supercharged sport . I run a blown 375" sbc fairly simple set up with a 6-71 blower shop blower and was wondering what is involved in restripping the blower ?
    Can I do this myself?
    What's needed to do this and how often?

thanks Bob Frigon

2. TAF 316

TAF 316 Member

Go right to the source call Ronnie or Eric @the Blower Shop. 661 299 5483

3. CannoyRacing

CannoyRacing New Member

We run a TAFC and have been interested in restripping our own blowers and i was wondering what all was involved in this processa nd how difficult it is. Thanks!

4. dlewis

dlewis New Member

the process isnt that hard as far as the teflon stripping goes, just make sure that you put the rotors back in time when you re-assemble it. as far as pulling the teflon, most all of the newer rotors have what i call pinch screws that secures the teflon on the ends,just remove the screws, get a pair of vise grips (thats what i use) and attach them to one end of the stripping and pull it through in one continious motion. i leave about 1/4" on each end to allow for draw up then trim them up when finished. if you have an older set of rotors that you have to brad to secure the teflon the process is the same except you have to de-burr where its been braded b4 restripping then brad the rotors again once your finished.the first time i restripped ours i was scared to death i wasn't doing it right but after a couple of times its a piece of cake now. when you restrip the nylatron you have to have it machined down to fit and when that has to be done we sent it off to let the professionals handle that. hope this helps.
    david

5. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Wow brings back memories. Davids right its not difficult at all.
    from what I recall;

we used a towell to jam the rotors and a pair of gear pullers to draw both gears off at the same time. Keep track of your lefts and rights of course and any timimg shims if used (do they still use them?)
    They have a rotor holding fixture now for pulling teflon. Also after leaving the 1/4 inch excess as David mentioned in the above post. We used to tap the ends in a bit to bunch up the teflon and take out the stretch.

Repeat after 4 or 5 runs. well back in the day we did.

OH! and bandaids for the blood blisters! Keep them digits away from the rotors while their still in tha case. Of course your hands will fall into a 14-71 easier than them tiny 6-71's JUST KIDDING!

Our crewchief Terry used to cut the blacks in a lathe to the cavity diameter. He was a machinist by trade. I never witnessed him actually doing it but the blower came back pretty darn snug!

6. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

my only advice is:
    wear a leather glove on the hand that is pulling the strip, or you will find out how fast your hand can bleed :D
    doesn't matter how good you are

7. clint thompson

a little silicone spray makes the teflon slide in a little easier, you can make your own fixture out of some square tube steel. the job is a real bitch without some sort of fixture to hold the rotor while you pull the strips. the gloves are an excellent idea.

8. coyotedale

coyotedale Member

The silicone does help. A simple fixture for the rotors; grab a couple of connecting rods that are past their life. Bolt them upright on a steel/aluminum plate. Put a jack screw on one rod, a stop on the other, set the rotor in, crank down the jack screw and start stripping. When drawing the teflon down the length of the rotor, it will rotate along the helix.

9. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

ALL THE ABOVE POSTS ARE GREAT ADVICE. SOMETHING I DO THAT SEEMS TO HELP I PUT THE TEFLON/NYLATRON IN A COFFE POT AND RUN THE WATER THRU JUST LIKE MAKING A POT OF COFFE. SEEMS TO MAKE THE STRIPPING A LITTLE MORE PLIABLE. IF YOU NEED ANY OF THE SUPPLIES TO STRIP YOUR BLOWER I CAN SUPPLY OR ANY TOOLS IT TAKES TO DO THE JOB. WWW.RBSSUPERCHARGERS.COM THANKS JR