Rear Tires

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Brownman, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Mickey Thompsons.........Anybody running them besides Frank Hawley? Getting ready to purchase some new hides and wanted some feed back from you guys. They appear to have very little tire shake and the price seems right. Why is everyone using Hoosiers? Even Goodyear seems to take a back seat in this division. How many runs will these hides hold up too and do you stagger your pressure to adjust the chassis? / Track conditions? How often do you check tire roll out and is it done at a set pressure? HELP! Happy Hoildays Dave

2. Traveler

Traveler New Member

First things first, what kind of car are we talking about? Is this a Funny Car or a Dragster?That will help people decide which tire you need to have on your ride.

3. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson New Member

Brownman; I have run Mickeys for about the last year and half. Everyone has an opinion: here's mine. They cost less, you don't need liners,(with my size i need the extra weight savings) get about 35 or 36 runs (never got more than 14 with Hoosiers), the compund dosen't change. consistant tire dia. 110" w/ the 34.5s You need to run more air pressure (above 6#) and run about a 1/4#to 1/2# more on right side. They are also going to have a 36" Dia tire out shortly. Were are testing it in Mid Jan. Hope this helps By the way this is one a TAD.

4. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Appreciate the input, we are building a TA/FC to compete in Division one, hopefully for the 2004 season. Pretty basic stuff..stage 15 KB "WAR" hemi, three speed Lenco and a Strange rear. WE have purchased Tate Branches old Avenger from Division Four. Alot of loose ends to tie up as this is our first time at this level.We were offered a couple sets of M/T at a great price and didn't want to jump on them without some feedback. Thanks again Brownman!

5. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Cheeseman run's M/T's

6. Traveler

Traveler New Member

I think most of it is a personal decision. The Mickey's are a little cheaper than the Hoosiers, and Hoosier is lowering their price this coming year to help keep it more affordable. Some of the cars I have seen on the Hoosiers have gotten plenty of runs out of them. I know that most guys take them off between 14-16 runs and I know some that run them into the 30-40 range.I don't know exactly when the guys running the Mickeys take them off because I have seen even Chuck change tires every 2 races or so.Would be interested in knowing how many runs he puts on a set before changing them. I think the two brands are getting to be real close and both are trying to improve the quality. Hoosier will have a stiffer wall tire out next year, may be something to check into. As far as the sizing on the tires is concerned the Hoosiers are measured when they are mounted and there is a variation in sizing but it seems some guys like a taller tire while others like the shorter ones. The Dragster guys like short while the Funny Cars always like the taller ones. And there is no way that anyone can say that all the tires of any company come off the truck as a perfect match every time. I have seen Darren and Mikey from Mickey trying to stretch tires too many times to believe that. It's just the way life is with a bias ply tire.

[ December 31, 2003, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Traveler ]

7. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Manzo: Hoosier/liners
    Austin: Hoosier/liners
    Chesterman: Hoosier/liners
    Newberry GoodYear/liners
    Payne: Hoosier/liners
    Sickles: GoodYear/liners (not first hand knowledge)
    Chuck Cheeseman: MT's/beadlocks
    Gordon: MT's/beadlocks (ran a string of 5.50's at Joliet with them)
    Gasparrelli: Hoosier/liners
    Branch: Hoosier/liners

Notables:

White/Goodwin: Hoosier/liners
    Dennis Taylor: MT's/beadlocks (ran 5.63 and 5.64 back to back at Pomona)
    Bret Williamson MT's/beadlocks

8. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Doesn't seem like a bad call to grab a couple sets of M/Ts for starters. We currently have Hoosiers and beadlocks on the car. With all the problems we are sure to face in our first year the last thing I should be worried about is which brand of tires we run. Still waiting to see if we can run across a sweet deal from a sponsor that will pick up some of the running expense! (Just a christmas wish!) Nothing under the tree yet! Brownman.