race pack problems

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by CjRedden, Apr 19, 2015.

1. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

Yesterday we went out for the first time this year. After re wiring my car, installing a leahy timer and 6 shooter with the fuel log as the only new components from last year. 1st run shook violently. I went to look at the racepak data and it was very off. It only read as if it was idling. never received the wheel speed graph. just read the engine was idling across the whole graph right at 2200 it said. ok. so maybe I was thinking it had a glitch. second run made a decent run. my chief hit the button properly. same thing. just reads as if it was idling. im going to recheck the ground wires. and try and test it out. But has this happened to anyone else or seen anything like this?

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

A couple of things. Why is your crew chief having to hit a button to record? It is a lot better to have it start recording when the engine RPM gets to 3500 rpm. This way it can record the burn out and the run. How many seconds is your Racepak set to record for? How much time are you seeing being recorded with the engine at idle? Is this a V300 and what kind of car is it in?

3. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

How are you picking up timing ? Timing reader? Thru the pickup off the shooter. I've seen this happen. Your setting is wrong. We need more info.

4. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

I'm picking the engine rpm off of the tach output. It is a top sportsman car v300sd. I just set it up for him to start the timer. Maybe I will look into a way it will start recording when I hit the trans brake button. I believe it can read for a couple of minutes.
    The reading I got yesterdaywas for I think 8 seconds. All reading as if was at idle. Egts all read like it was idle. I had fuel pressure and oil pressure. Never got a driveshaft speed. No acceleration force.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The question is then when and what is it recording. You are probably not sitting at idle for 8 seconds after you crew chief hit the button so it is not that. Can you email me the run and the configuration file and the unlock code?

6. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

I can do that tomorrow evening mike. I will not be home until then. Thank you.

7. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

I figured out my problem. The run was recorded. I just did not move over far enough to see the run. my crew chief hit the button long before I pulled into the beams. so my next question. I think it would be a good idea for me to use the transbrake button to start the timer. but does anyone know if the racepak starts when the button is pressed or does it begin when it is released? my idea is to wire it in a relay so that when I press the trans brake button, the relay closes. due to my delay box, the button will be pressed and keep that relay closed until the transbrake is released.

8. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

Or you can have your guy just press the button as you light the top bulb. Just as easy without weight of wiring or relay failure

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

It is far better to have the Racepak triggered by engine 3500 rpm on the engine. We do that so the burnout is recorded as well just incase we have a problem. If the car is always running 1/8 mile then we record for 200 seconds. 1/4 mile car at 250 seconds. All you have to do is hook up your laptop to the RacePak using their special cable turn on power to the car then go to File at the top of the page then open car configuration. The right click on the first block at the top of the page that says V300SD Module then go to the bottom right corner of the page that opens. Then Read Configuration which will come directly from the Racepak. Bottom left box will say Start Record Channel and you want x200 which tells it to use Engine Rpm then next line down Start Recording When Value Goes Above and put in 3500 or whatever you want. Now check everything twice and Send Configuration to the Racepak. Then hit OK. I then do a Save. I would not use that transbrake button because it requires more wiring. The engine rpm is what is best.

10. Chris Wilkes

Chris Wilkes New Member

Personally, I would leave it as it is. I like the idea of having the burnout in the data. You never know what you might find, a problem could have raised it's ugly head during the burnout.

11. Chris Wilkes

Chris Wilkes New Member

I really like this ^^^^^ as well. Thanks for the info.

12. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

Mike, so it will start automatically recording based on engine rpm and there is no button to use at all? Only changes will be on the laptop and no longer i have to worry about my crew not hitting the button? If this is right i like the sound of that

13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

That is correct. With everything else going on you need it to record automatically.