question on a valve spring problem

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by secondwindracing, May 26, 2011.

1. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

New set of springs and on one spring a very small peice of the spring broke off I would say between a 1/6 to a 1/8 of a inch can you just use a dotco and sand / polish it and use it? also might add it is on the main outside spring..thanks Dave

2. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

When we first tried PAC springs we were experiencing this, talked to them and for additional $$, they would "condition" the ends to eliminate this problem. My "problem" with that was if you KNOW you have a "problem"...why are you selling it like that in the first place?! What Brand do you have??

3. B.DOUCET

B.DOUCET New Member

I run the Manley 221448 on the exhaust side of my engine. Before I install them I cut the end of the spring on beveled side about 3/8". I set them up .070 from coil bind and they hold up very well.

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

If you have ever watched a valve spring on a Spintron machine you will see why the tail ends break off. The spring can go into oscillations at certain rpms. One of the things that can cause this is that the let down ramp on the cam lobe can just be too steep so the spring bounces at the end of the let down ramp because it drops hard. This will break the tail ends off. I understand that you can try different spring heights reduce the oscillation but it is a hit and miss guess for us without the Spintron. Breaking the tails off the coils is common on all springs used on our blown applications.

5. KEITH CLARK

KEITH CLARK Member

springs

Years ago I worked at Drake Engineering building Offy's. We would trim the tails off every spring . It was just what we learned to do after getting engines back to freshen up. After we started doing this the problem was gone.

6. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Hey Dave
    Look where your Dotco grinder was made Ha Ha

7. danrace

danrace New Member

ring noel manton and he will help you set it up so it never happens like mike said you need a spintron to understand why it happens and then you will see it takes a tremendous amount of force to break that small peice better to set it up so the spring dosnt ossilate noel can help you with this and set you up with right parts.

8. T.A.D. 776

T.A.D. 776 New Member

I agree trimming the thin tips is always a great way to prevent problems.
    Many springs come that way already. Like the Erson Valve Springs I use.

9. secondwindracing

They were package springs I will trim of my ends...thanks for all the great help and thank to the now new name Mike the professor Canter...Dave

10. LeWhite

LeWhite BB/Alt

How the heck do you cut the tip off without touching thr next coil.

11. B.DOUCET

B.DOUCET New Member

Slide them over a piece of thin metal clamped in a vice. Cut with a cutoff wheel on a die grinder.

12. noelmanton

noelmanton Authorized Merchant

Spring Fix

First ask your spring manufacture to provide a useable product. Sounds harsh but if we purchased a crank shaft and the manufacture sent it with a note: "You bot it, you own it, polish it your self". We would be concerned, at the least.
    It is what it is.
    SO---------First go to www.mcmaster.com and purchase a 12 inch piece of 6-6 nylon strip about an inch wide, .125 thick. Purchase a die grinder. Purchase about 30 small diameter cut off wheels, and the same amount of rubber based polishing wheels, and a fine quality screw driver.
    Polish all of the edges of the screw drive. The reason for this is when you use this screw driver as a lever device you do not want to make any mark on the surface of the spring wire.
    Use the screw driver to pry the spacer coil away from the active coil, and insert a piece of your 6-6 nylon. With the die grinder remove the thin portion of the spring wire.
    The end must be polished, and the active must not be nicked, at all. If you nick the first active coil, JUST THROW THE SPRING IN THE CAN. DO NOT TRAY TO SAVE THE MISTAKE.
    "If you do not do this the tail will remove it's self"
    The best thing to do is just pay some one that has the desire to accomplish this task for a profit. The learning curve that goes along with can be very cost ineffective.
    "I do agree that the spring manufacture should never allow a spring to leave their building unfinished".
    "A spring tail in the oil pump of a funny car, can cost $ 60,000.00, or more and hurt some one.

noel

13. noelmanton

noelmanton Authorized Merchant

Manley valve springs

We highly recommend the use of MANLEY VALVE SPRINGS.

They have a staff that is very versed in valve train technology and have the ability to tell the truth and make a discussion when confronted with a spring issue, and with what we do today in the engine speed area we will see issues.

"On going breakage is unacceptable".

Noel

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  14. secondwindracing

thanks Noel, just put on the manley spring and out to the dumpster with my pacs..Dave

15. B.DOUCET

B.DOUCET New Member

I also agree Noel, but the Manley spring I run on the exhaust side of my engine WILL break the tip off with the spring setup .070 before bind. You can clearly see the mark it leaves on the coil below it. Easy fix is to trim the tip away and install the spring. Never had a problem doing this.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  16. underby6

underby6 Active Member

I epoxied some Moroso engine magnets by the oil drains (in the head), this has caught tips many times and is a cheap/easy fix.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

17. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

Noel, does Manley actually make valve springs? I've seen theirs, Erson's and Competition Products and they all have the same specs and paint stripes. Makes me think they all repackage somebody else's. Who would that be?

Tom

18. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Our promod ran Manley NExtec springs, and we used to break every spring tail off. Now we trim them ourselves. Finding chunks of steel floating around is a disaster waiting to happen.

19. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

How does trimming the end of the spring affect the spring pressure and spring harmonics? Obviously it doesnt break the tips off anymore.

20. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

OK anyone here running the pac's triples
    How much are you trimming the outer coils tails 3/8" ,, 1/2"
    Are you looking for a certain thickness of the finished tail?