Question for TAD owners

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Michael Gunderson, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

i guess i need to explain myself.

i was trying to get rid of all the bullshit in this post. plain and simple. i've already had a discussion with joe. its not that anyone else was wrong, but i figured if i was going to clean it up, i might as well get rid of all the posts aimed at kingnitro, good or bad.

basically i was trying to get the post back to its original topic, not who's gonna kick who's ass. if thats what yall want to talk about, take it somewhere else.

-mgmt

2. K.Brown

K.Brown New Member

I can respect that Will....

Peace, KB

3. Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas New Member

Mike,
    After wading through all the unnecessary garbage to get to the last post so I might make a comment and answer your question.
    First I have not been able to race much these last 2 years , because of a family illness, therfore I have not said much about the parity issue and conflict between the A/Fuel cars and the blown cars.
    "if you are not running your car - you should not be running your mouth"
    Next year Carol and I will be out - running our TAD car as much as possible and as often as money allows. Its' our choice and we have never discussed changing, I don't thing we ever will - I think we would quit totally before we would change. We have been running a blown car since the beginning of pro - comp - years ago. A/Fuel has never interested us.
    You had a passion for alcohol at one time - then you made your decision to change over - thats fine - your deal. Alot of us (for what ever reasons) didnot change and most of us "old timers" along with a few new teams will not. The issue is simple - parity is a must for all to enjoy our choices. It is NHRA responsiblity to maintain that parity or separate the cars.
    As the issues between the cars are monitored things will always require change - I think in the years to come (if the class survives) each will take their "hits"
    Hope to see you in Bradenton in December.
    Take care

4. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

I think the Blown cars vs Nitro cars is what makes this class (Alky dragster) so interesting! I sure hope it doesn't become 90% of this or that combination! I haven't been going to NHRA races nearly as long as most here I'm a newby I guess. But I would bet if NHRA allowed Nitro cars in the Alky FC class, the car counts would increase as long as it was a level playing field.

[ September 27, 2003, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Mr Scary ]

5. Mike Laws

Mike Laws New Member

Excellent post Dan Lucas! TAD remains one of my most interesting classes. The controversy that will surround it as long as there are different combinations racing together is ultimately good for the class. If I were the rulesmaker(?), I would even include TAFC into the mix with the proper rule changes for parity. (Loved the original Pro Comp class!)

As for the pending rule changes; the best scenario for the A/F cars would be to reduce the amount of air allowed to enter the engine. (Leave everything else alone!) By controlling the area of the injector above the throttle plates, NHRA could adjust as they see fit and this would be the least expensive change for the fuel racers. (Yes, this is similar, but different than NASCAR's restrictor plate use. Those RP's are positioned below the throttle plates of the carburetor, adversely affecting proper fuel distribution. While I despise restrictor plates on those cars, I am convinced their use would be the best for the fuel cars.)

If this rule were to be implemented, I suspect that the fuel cars would actually run quicker initially as it appears that most air inlets used now are slightly too large for the current engine/driveline/rpm combination. NHRA would need to do a little testing to find the correct size, but again, it would be fairly inexpensive compared to most alternatives.

Also, the fuel guys could easily test future (anticipated) reduced inlet sizes.

Since the fuel guys know a rule change is coming, perhaps a logical request to NHRA, that is inexpensive for all concerned would help.

I hope you guys keep this class going. It's a great thing and a lot of us hope all of you keep an eye on the big picture and can work together for the betterment of the class.

ML