Pro Mods? Threat level?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Jun 2, 2003.

1. bogart

bogart New Member

The pro-mod shows they have today remind me of the fuel altered circuits of the late 60's. They were very entertaining,BUT a lot of aborted runs. Maybe that's what happened to the fuel altereds,someone decided to put doors on them!

2. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Let's backtrack a little.

Flash wrote: "the only thing we have going for us is they are a pro class and they would not run div. races because that would be a step down in their minds!!" Wrong. Pro Mods will run anywhere track owners feel their fans want to see them. As an example, the upcoming Division 1 race at Lebanon Valley will feature Pro Mods. In fact, eleven Pro Mods showed up last month for the National Open there. Alcohol classes were not contested. Would that be a step down in your minds? Here's a link to the story in case you missed it. http://www.draglist.com/stories/SOD-May-2003/SOD-051403.htm

Marty, I'ts AMS. Yes, Pro Mods race at NHRA events because "our" series sponsor feels they get a good deal for their money by adding Pro Mod to eleven races. "Your" series sponsor, Lucas Oil, apparently feels they get a bigger bang for their buck by dropping Alcohol classes from five races.

bogart wrote: "Maybe that's what happened to the fuel altereds, someone decided to put doors on them!" Fuel Altereds are still alive and well! You should check out the Texas Outlaw Fuel Altereds. They put on a heck of a show! Just ask former Alcohol racers like Bobby Marriott and Larry Reep. Almost as good a show as the Texas Outlaw Pro Mods do. :D In fact, one of the higlights of Lone Star Raceway's season is the annual Pro Mods versus Fuel Altereds race.

Grant, let me explain it to you like this; NHRA apparently feels that the Alcohol classes are so popular that they can get along just fine without them at five of their races. :confused:

Will, I'm not sure that I understand your opening statement and question. Bracket races make money from entry fees. If you add Pro Mods to your weekly program, you will make more money by putting fans in the stands. I wasn't talking about just weekends either. Last Wednesday night Lancaster Motorsports Park put on a very sucsessful Pro Mod Quick 8 and a match race between Mike Janis' Pro Mod and Mike Swinarski's Nitro Coupe. It was also the informal debut of Janis' new WidowMaker themed car. Here's a link to that story: http://www.draglist.com/stories/SOD-Jun-2003/SOD-062503.htm Hmmmm.... I can't recall the last time Draglist ran a story on an Alcohol race.

You say you'll have big names. If you ask folks in Texas if they'd like to see Gaylen Smith, Ron Muenks, Frankie Taylor or Hugh Scott race, they'll know who you're talking about. How many folks in Sealy are going to know who Karl Brounkowski or Kebin Kinsley are? I think it would be an eyeopener for you if you took a poll of the fans at Sealybration asking if they would like to see more, four car, booked in, Alcohol shows or more open competition TOPMA Q8 races.

After writing all that, I still don't feel Pro Mods are threat to Alcohol racers. Engine builders are doing a booming business and fresh faces are contributing to the advancement of blown alky motors. I've talked with three Alcohol racers lately. One has no problems with Pro Mod. In fact he feels they add a great deal to the show. The other two only have a slight problem with Pro Mods.....their's aren't ready yet! :D A threat, no. More popular, yes.

3. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

I just got done reading that post on Bill Pratt's drag racing list. Pretty good racing that day for Pro Mods. You actually had ONE side by side pass, two if you consider 6.79 to 7.16 side by side. Sounds like some great racing by you guys...

Good luck in trying to bring up that percentage of quality runs....

4. MIke Eubank

MIke Eubank Super Comp

Threat or no threat this thread has brought out alot of opinions.

Now, There are going to be aborted runs in every class that makes any kind of horse power. I think back a couple of years ago A/Fuel cars aborted runs all the time. They still abort runs, they also haul ass. Same with the Pro Mods. These cars are a hand full to drive, so of course some are going to get out of shape. I think this adds to thier appeal. I Have worked on both and I can tell you both are real race cars and alot of fun.

Mikey

5. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

Outlaw, when you say PM's will run anywhere are you talking Big hitters? Or just 6.60-6.80 Doorslammers who call themselves Pro mods? Let's face it, it's hard for any sub 6.50 catagory to maintain consistancy run after run! Personally I can watch PM's and alkycars all day!

6. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Kingnitro, Steve Vick, Frankie Taylor, Annette Summer, and Rickie Smith are some of the folks who race local Quick 8's on a regular basis. Many others do so as much as their schedule allows. Others like Hugh Scott, Jason Scruggs, Sonny Tindal, and Pat Doherty might not be familiar to you but trust me, nobody who stages against them takes them lightly.

7. Grant Hensley

Grant Hensley New Member

Answers for F-O-R:

I would consider a show to be VERY GOOD if 1/3 of the passes are aborted. That means 2/3 of the passes were good. I would AGREE that Pro Mods abort 1/3 (or even more) of their passes. It is to be expected.

Since you felt the need for throw out numbers, here are some stats for you from the two qualifying sessions Friday in Top Fuel and Pro Mod:

Top Fuel
    1 session:
    12 good runs out of 21. 9 aborts = 42%
    2 session:
    4 good runs out of 20. 16 aborts = 80%
    Combined sessions:
    16 good runs out of 41. 25 aborts = 61%

Pro Mod
    1 session:
    13 good runs out of 21. 8 aborts = 38%
    2 session:
    13 good runs out of 19. 6 aborts = 32%
    Combined sessions:
    26 good runs out of 40. 14 aborts = 35%

How about those numbers F-O-R? It looks like the Top Fuel cars are aborting a lot more runs than the Pro Mods. How can the Top fuel cars be so popular if they abort so many passes? Try answering that one…

As for Pro Wrestling, it has been around for a very long time and its popularity has grown to astronomical proportions. Also, it is WWE not WWF. They got the F out. If you can’t debate any better than you have thus far, I suggest you do the same!

The Pro Mod class hasn’t even been in existence for 15 years yet. It is continually growing in popularity. The same can’t be said for the Top Alcohol classes.

PS. Outlaw Nick, I really enjoyed your post. I like it when people stick to the facts. You did an excellent job.

8. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

Grant- DO YOU KNOW HOW TO READ - I stated in one of my post that "I don't feel that watching a Fuel show is worth watching when they smoke the tires" ... I'm glad that you can figure % because you sure can't READ...I'm done with this deal...it is obvious that we both have different opnions... have a nice day...

9. Grant Hensley

Grant Hensley New Member

More Stats:

First round eliminations in Pro Mod at the IHRA race this weekend:

1 - Broke car (didn't stage)
    1 - Aborted pass (on a competition bye run)
    14 - Clean runs (7 excellent side by side races)

F-O-R, how is that for a hell of a showing?
    An 88% clean run percentage!!!!!

10. Danny Willcocks

Danny Willcocks New Member

Grant, some issues with your reasoning. First, a fuel car makes many times the horsepower output of a Pro Mod. Second, Pro mod's have a transmission. Third, this is a debate discussing the effects of Pro Mod vs. Top Alcohol, not top fuel. Just some thoughts for ya.

11. Grant Hensley

Grant Hensley New Member

F-O-R,

I read quite well. The issue here is popularity. You don’t have the luxury of deciding after the fact what a show is worth. You pay at the gate prior to seeing any runs. You don’t get a discount after the fact based on the number of aborted runs. My point is that popularity (or the cost of a ticket) is not based on the amount of successful runs that are made. Worth is determined based on what you pay for something. You sound like one of those people that go around all of the time crying about getting ripped off or that you didn’t get your money’s worth. F-O-R, you seemed a bit perturbed with your last post. Sorry for addressing issues and stating facts. Thanks for wishing me a nice day. Everyday is a nice day for me because I maintain a positive attitude and don’t feel everyone is taking advantage of me. Hint Hint!!!!!

More factual stats:
    At the IHRA National event yesterday there were no aborted runs in the quarter, semi or final rounds. In total eliminations, there were 28 successful runs out of 30 (93% success percent). 14 side by side passes in a row. I’m pretty sure that no one ran to the gate after the show and said “I got more than my money’s worth, how much more can I pay?”

FYI Danny Willcock, I didn’t bring the Fuel cars into this debate. If someone else brings the Fuelers into the debate, it is fair game. I believe Will and F-O-R are the culprits you are looking for. As for the other two issues you mentioned, I am well aware of those fun facts. Thanks for stating the overly obvious. Do you have any more pearls for me? I recall reading that F-O-R was done.

12. Danny Willcocks

If I read your post correctly(and I did because I'm a junior in high school and my reading levels are greater than the college averages) you were compairing the number of aborted runs in top fuel and pro mod. My previous statements still remain. Although I agree, tire smoke outside a burnout is no fun to watch.

[ June 30, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Danny Willcocks ]

13. Danny Willcocks

Are you trying to poke fun at my name or is it you that cannot read?

14. Grant Hensley

Grant Hensley New Member

Danny,

As stated at the beginning of my last post, “I read quite well”. For being such a good reader, I wonder how you missed that. I was not poking fun at your name. I inadvertently left the “s” off the end. I apologize. Since you have decided to discuss reading abilities and spelling capabilities, I have a comment or two. While reading your post, I came across the word “compairing”. I don’t think it is a comprehension issue, because that word does not exists in the English language. Maybe you just threw the “i” in there for the fun of it. Or maybe you thought the word “compare” involved a “pair” of things so you decided to invent your own spelling of the word. We all make mistakes, so thanks for giving me the opportunity to point yours out as well.

15. Steve Toppe

Steve Toppe New Member

As a fan I can tell you that I see pro mods more like pro stocks.
    I feel alcohol cars are way faster than pro mods.
    Maybe promods are getting popular but they are 2 different things.

16. Danny Willcocks

Grant, I changed my post because of an error and I guess I missed one. It's nice to be able to bench race inside when it's hot outside.

17. MIke Eubank

MIke Eubank Super Comp

Hey Will, did you expect this kind of response when you started this thread? kinda neat huh?
    :D
    Mikey

18. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

Unlike in IHRA where both Pro mod and Alky FC are Pro catagories. If NHRA ever made Pro mod a Pro Catagory, the Alky classes would die fast! NHRA would need a special edition of their classifieds to hold all the adds for Alky cars! Would you spend $1,500 a run to compete in a sportsman Catagory, or a Pro Catagory? Remember what PST did to Comp? but that's another story!

19. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

what this thread has brought out what i figured it would once the pro super gas boys jumped in - yes they have a fan base that likes pro mods. however, this fan base has given some of them delusions of grandeur.

from the get go, i've said that yes pro mods can put on a show, yes they can be a fan draw at a small track. i'm not disputing that. its that some of these guys have lost touch with reality in thinking that alcohol cars can't put on a show of the quality of theirs or match or exceed their fan pull.

nick - in reference to your posts about pro mods having more races - what i was getting at is they are cheaper than an alcohol show - at least when compared to an 8 car show. plus they are slower and can brake harder - so that opens alot more doors for them. to make an alcohol car show work, you're going to have to have the track to handle it, a facility that can handle a big crowd, and the budget to make it happen. tad's only have 2 brakes and are not suspended, so they can't shower down on the brakes as hard. also, this angle on top alky shows hasn't been taken in a while. at least in this neck of the woods.

if you think side by side mid 3 second racing isn't going to be a show, you're on crack. not to mention our show will have some cackle and flames - and i'm not just talking about paint jobs - pro mods dont have flames out the headers. (at least their not supposed to).

so i guess the fan is going to say - yeah those cars hauled ass, but they didn't have doors...

grant were you there at the texas state pro mod championships in 98 i believe. jay meyer was running the tx open wheel quick 8 stuff at sealy. the crowd went absolutely nuts when he rattled off 3.90's. and that was a pro mod race..

thats that.

20. Greg Duffield

Greg Duffield New Member

This debate is like comparing Fuel Dragsters to Fuel Funny Cars. They are both bad ass classes, and neither really has an overwhelming lock on the fan base at any event. What it all comes down to is promotion. If a show is promoted right, you can pack the house at a 1972 Gremlin shoot out (ok, maybe not) :D .

I believe Will could probably put on one helluva alcohol show, but getting a track owner to swallow the $14,000 pill is going to be tough until a baseline has been established. A better bet would be to put on a show with some variety, like a combined Pro Mod and Alcohol show. This will probably never happen, because each group wants to be the star of the show. However, the more the fan gets for their money the better, and in return the more consistently popular the events will become. This theory is easy to see in action anytime you go down to San Antonio for a Clash of the Titans race. First night I was there, Todd said they had over 10,000 spectators and I know they emptied the concession stand at least twice (water magically went from $2 a bottle to something like $5).

As far as Pro Mods being a threat, I don't see it. NHRA is more of a threat to you guys than any class could ever be. I go to a few national events myself, Gainsville, Houston, Dallas, and a few others. I pay attention to what the people in the stands do because I have to, and I have yet to witness an event where Pro Mods didn't hold just as many people in the stands as the Alcohol cars. I'm not saying that there aren't some events where people run from the bleachers like someone yelled fire, but I have never been to one.

Greg Duffield