Pro Comp anyone?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Rusty Kramer

Rusty Kramer New Member

I think an index somewhere in the 6 sec range to start would be great maybe lower it as needed when the majority is starting to run under. Make it an all run deal for starters and maybe a qualified field in the future. Evaluate it over time and start to gather data to hone in a tune up for each type of car to make the heads up deal happen. I think the fan appeal would be better than current alcohol cars if you had a good mix of cars. I think a ton of S/C racers would jump in. The current alky classes are just way to big of a jump for most super class racers. Obviously many of the manufactures of parts would bennifit if more blown cars were being run, even on non killer tune ups. I think you are hitting on a great deal Will. A lot of people have talked about this... How do we make something happen??

2. Flatlander

Flatlander New Member

First let me say I raced with this tye of class and it was great. Second there are way to many nice cars setting and the outlook is getting dimmer as each year goes by. Third you would need to establish limits and encourage racers to try and obtain them,(In looks, combinations and fan appeal) not rules just guidelines to prevent to much money from walking away with the winnings.
    32 car fields
    $800. per round won
    $1000. extra to winner, $800. to runner up
    550 cu in limit on F/C-Alt-500 cu in limit on dragsters
    any fuel
    limit the blower to 30% od
    limit nitro to 30% on blown cars
    1900ibs
    And lets go Race-
    The payout could be provided for by allowing a company all advertizing rights. You reading this TNN?? You own the show for the day and everyone wins. Les-Flatlander

3. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Personally, I think when you start adding the cu in limits and blower overdrive limits and all the other governing rules you start defeating the reason you have an index for bottom ET. If you just set an index at say 6.30, like ours it provides a fast enough class for the spectators to enjoy and reaches more racers budgets for running the class. Below is our rules, pretty simple and not difficult to police.

HEADS UP--------------6.30 INDEX--------------DRAG RACING

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COME RACE WITH US!
    TOP ELIMINATOR WEST
    Heads up!
    Pro light!
    No cubic inch limit!
    Blown or nitrous allowed!
    Chassis / Body - any style!
    6.30 Index

SO PACK UP YOUR HOT ROD
    AND MEET US AT THE TRACK!

We even allow nitro........

4. Lawren Jones

Lawren Jones Comp Eliminator

I thought some of you might be interested in the Supercharged Outlaw Series. My local track runs this show here in Albuquerque New Mexico. They run on Morial Day weekend, 4th of July weekend, and Labor Day weekend. I'm including the rules with this post.

Supercharged Outlaw Series

$75 entry car driver 4 crew
    $50 pre entry 7 days before event

SOS will qualify 16 cars:

Pay out:
    $1500.00 to win
    $1000.00 runner-up
    $ 600.00 semis
    $ 400.00 2nd rd loser
    $ 200.00 1st rd loser

SOS will follow the guidelines set by the NHRA 2005 rule book for Advanced ET.

If your car runs a screw blower you must meet the TAFC/TAD guidelines.

ALL CARS WILL RUN ON A 6.80 INDEX

Performance clause of 7.50 will be in effect. To receive any pay out money your car must run quicker than 7.51. (special circumstances will be considered)

All cars must run blowers.

All cars must make both qualifying passes. (special circumstances will be considered) 1st round will be ran Saturday night.

Must stage under power to receive round money. If your car can not stage under power you will not receive round money.

If a car wins a round but breaks and can not make the call for next round, the quickest loser from the previous round will replace the broken car. The alternate car will split the round money with the broken car.

Deep staging is allowed.

Use of Rev limiters or shift lights allowed.

Trans brakes allowed.

Electronic throttle stops, shift timers, delay boxes, ect., ect, NOT ALLOWED.

All cars must be painted.

Diapers are mandatory. Diapers do not have to be SFI certified.

Teams will be required to wear shirts of matching colors on the starting line. Examples: NO WHITE OR GREY T-SHIRTS!!! We are selling a professional product….. we want you to look professional.

Must bring an oil container for the purpose of removing your own oil. The track is located on New Mexico State owned land and oil is not allowed to be discarded. You will be checked for your container at tech inspection. Wal-Mart has a good selection of plastic containers for a reasonable price.

There will be a MANDATORY drivers meeting on both Saturday and Sunday. You will be given the time of the meeting when your car is inspected.

What do you think?

[ March 17, 2005, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Lawren Jones ]

5. coyotedale

coyotedale Member

Will, sounds like you see the same thing, but why reinvent the wheel?

The fact is, the alky classes were allowed to progress in such a why that the average working dude can no longer afford to build/run these things. Just stating the facts, but when the screw blowers were allowed in, everything else just toppled behind. Sure, the cars are faster, but there are fewer of them as a result, and this also has hurt the divisional car counts.

Goodguys has their class (A/Fuel) which is similar to the old Pro Comp class. It could be a starting point to enhance the divisional races, allow an entry level blown alky/injected nitro class.

As it is now, don't be surprised if you see some of the nostalgia classes become part of divisional races to enhance the show. I've already been told that the Div directors are looking into booking in, or even having an eliminator for the nostalgia nitro classes. It won't be a replacement to phase out the alky classes, but they do see a value in having them added to the program in some degree.

As far as Div 2,,, it is too bad it has gone down so much, but I know first hand what it is like to make every effort to field a car, only to see the cost sky rocket to just build the car. Adding to it was seeing my local track lose the divisional race, before you know it, the closest place for me to race was at least a 4 hour tow. Match races were even further.

I still want to run some form of a funny car, so I figured I may as well build something that has a decent chance of being booked in, and won't fall victom to "trick of the week" technology; enter into my life a nostalgia nitro funny car.