Power Increase with just a Hat Change?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by blowntrifive, Nov 29, 2010.

1. blowntrifive

blowntrifive Member

Changing Hats from a Bird to ? looking for decent feedback on what to buy. was looking at DMPE's C.G. Composites MK 5X LT 3 Blade Injector Hat. I was wondering if other than weight from a carbon fiber one to a big and ugly if there was any real power differences? Going on a littlefield Blower, LB20. Thanks.

2. fastavenger 588

fastavenger 588 New Member

power

no dont do it save your money it wont help u can turn it aroud backwards it wont matter and that ant no joke

3. blowntrifive

blowntrifive Member

Your saying that if I left the bird on it and turned it around it would run the same performace wise? You got to be kidding right?

4. suddendebt

suddendebt Blown Altered

We ran a bird and switched to the 5" big and ugly..... It made zero difference with the standard 60* 671 littlefield that we run.

That being said, I have been told that it is the way to go with the hi helix and set back blowers and so on...... I dont know that for a fact just what I have been told.

It puts the air into the blower at a better angle and with much less turbulence..... how ever, I have been told not get cute and putty the rough casting of the inside of the bau, it will hurt more than help.

Just my 2 cents, its what I have been told use it... dont... just putting it out there
    Bob

5. blowntrifive

blowntrifive Member

Thanks Bob for the imput, I run a HHR blower set back 2'', I was looking for imput in going to a BAU injector or a carbon fiber one,So that was what I'm looking for,Vinnie

6. badbird

badbird New Member

the carbon one is way better
    hammer superchargers have dyno'd them all and troy said the mk5 was the best out there with the mk7 not far behind
    but they are expensive the B&U seems to work ok if your not looking to rotate the earth
    a set back 14/71 HH needs more than your current hat
    how much power it will make with no other changes i wouldnt like to guess but ultimatly it will make more when your pushing hard

7. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

8. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

injector

YES YES YES If you have a good tune up and a good supercharger. If they were the same we all would be running those old Birds & Buzzards Think about it and look around at the fast cars. But I would say you don't need to pay $3600 for one. There are used good injectors around. Don.

9. blowntrifive

blowntrifive Member

Thanks, I know a few guys using the MK5,but they are bigger badder units then I have, I'm upgrading from a HHR 10/71 and a bird to the LB20 and looking for a good hat combo for it on a 509 bbc. Made great power with my old combo for what it was. Ran 7.80@ 178 mph at 3506 lbs door car, just want to step it up 2-3 tenths with out spending the farm LOL!

10. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

11. aj481x

aj481x Member

12. vwsamba

vwsamba Member

Get a buzzard. cheap, great looking and more than enough for what you are doing. I had one on my engine that had gone 5.90's with a 14HHR littlefield.

13. fastavenger 588

power

i bet u wont pick up 1/2 sec or 3 mph not in your case a good tune up is worth more take that money and invest in a better blower

14. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

advance search the word marshmellow and you will see a thread called vacum in the hat from several years ago. read it and come back in 20min.

15. fastavenger 588

well i can tell u i have been 242 with a big ugly and a 3500.00 cf hat and no change all on the same day so do what u will i know they look cool but save your money

16. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

call jr at rbs you can pick up a good carbon injector for around 2,000 to 2500 i dont think you will find a mk5 for that but you will get a lot better injector than what you have like someone said a good fuel system is money well spent

17. blowntrifive

blowntrifive Member

Thanks Jim I found a MK5 and JR is were I'm buying the blower from.

18. fastavenger 588

hats

i just want to know do BOATS GO BACKWARDS or are the hats going that way :confused:

19. blown375

blown375 New Member

20. Relentless

Relentless www.bretitanium.com

Of course it will make a difference, think of air the same as water would act. If you have horrible bends and obstructions it will hurt it, create turbulence, you want it as smooth and easy to get in there as possible.

We run a K11 HH and made our own injector as rules in our class didnt allow carbon. it works bloody brilliant, we made it to fit our DMPE 2 inch spacer, its a perfect match to it and gets the air in as smooth as we could do it. Had a B&U before this but I think this hat makes more power. so far ran a 6.42 at only 191mph, lifted at 1000 foot as tyres were rubbing body (since raised)

photo here

[​IMG]

It was cheap too, just took about 70 hours machining. We also did some trick bits inside too which we think we help power.

hat does make a difference.