Post race cylinder lube...

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Flyboy68, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Just wanted to know what some of you guys do after a race to lube the cylinders up. We had to bore our block (dart iron) last year because we just turned the motor over while spraying WD-40 through the blower after a race and the cylinders still rusted up some. What do you guys usually do?

Josh

2. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

all we do is pull out all the push rods... doing that will save your springs and also close up each cylinder we have never had a problem..also if the car sit in the transporter we leave a dehumitifier on and in the winter it sits in a heated shop..good luck Dave Lowe

3. The Shoe

The Shoe New Member

After each outing we pull plugs and spray WD40 in each cyl and replace spark plug then turn engine over

4. eli

eli Banned

Josh, Unless you flush out the fuel lines after your done racing, the alky will find its way into your cylinders, if you have no probluem with tec. and having gas in your fuel system, you can run the motor on gas for 20 30 sec., then take out all your poppet holders and drain them and the fuel system, and put beanoil in the pump, (not sure of the spelling) then pull the plugs and squart wd40 into each cyl turn motor over ( by Hand) replace plugs after you look at them to see how motor is running for next time you race, it sounds like a lot to do but all it will take is about 1/2 hour with your full crew working on it, you will thank yourself later in saved parts not to mention the money.;)

5. TAF 316

TAF 316 Member

Blenzall two stroke racing castor

6. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

Remember in the old days when we used to spray WD40 in points type distributors to absorb water when they got wet? Don't use WD40, it absorbs water. That's why you had to bore the block.
    Drain the fuel system completely, squirt oil in each cylinder and turn the motor over. Do this periodically and everything will be fine.

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I don't believe that you are using the correct terms. WD-40 is NOT hydroscopic, it does not asborb water. It displaces water thus the WD. WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion -- a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try.

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Let me add something here. When a lot of racers blow out all the fuel lines they use the air right out of the compressor many without going first through a water separator and a filter. It is possible to pick up deposits inside your air tank and blow water out of your tank into the water that you are trying to pickle. This water/condensation will cause rust and deposits in the motor and fuel systems.

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Alkydrag, I am not trying to piss on your shoes. So forgive me if it reads like that.

10. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

wd-40 is all we have used for the last ten yrs. works great....Mike good call.
    very correct on the date and person..

11. Chi Town Brown

Marvel Mystery oil works great for this also. And that stuff creeps. Draining all poppets after every race day and some Marvel oil into the cans keeps everything like it should. Same for BV.

12. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

No worries Mike, I can take it. I stand corrected. How well does WD-40 work for dispersing piss on your shoes, I need mine cleaned now?

13. TOL

TOL Active Member

What is "Marvel Mystery Oil" and where does one find it?

14. IGO1320

IGO1320 T/D 2268

Mmo

You can find it at any Walmart, or auto parts store. Red plastic bottle with black writing, works great on air tools also!

15. Scotty Mac

Scotty Mac TAFC

Ah, the old Marvel Oil Company of Port Chester, NY, across the street from the old Life Saver factory. Ever wonder why Marvel Mystery Oil smells like wint-o-green life savers???:D

16. IGO1320

IGO1320 T/D 2268

Yuk

Nope, I am not going to taste it!

17. Chi Town Brown

I have. Not intentionally!!!! It don't taste like Wintergreen anything. Does smell good though.