Port Nozzle Depth?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by WJ Birmingham, Dec 25, 2007.

1. eli

eli Banned

Barry are you saying the nozzles should be facing the blades on the hat? and not the rotors ? If so then the blower now has to not only pull air through the blades but it has to reverse the flow of the nozzles, and if like your saying all the vaporized fuel would go to the back of the blower, and the rotors would not be lubed. :eek:

2. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Thanks for getting back to the original topic.

My concern is to minimize the amount protruding because yes, I am concerned about disrupting and reducing airflow in to the engine.

The tip seems like it sticks in way further than it needs to. considering the volume of air that is pushing the fuel into the cylinder.

If it was a normally aspirated motor, I could see that there could be some benefit in where vertically the fuel was introduced into the runner. Being foriced induction, however, I can't see how it would matter.

3. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

I did just what berry told me over 1 year ago..I called him and he told me to do it and yes it works..if I remember rite the time I call berry on his cell phone he was at john force's shop using John's blower dyno and ect...I'am leaving them the way he told me to put them it works and every little bit helps thanks....Dave Lowe

4. eli

eli Banned

backward

Back in the day we called this type of advice -----being californaized. :eek:

5. Barry Paton

Barry Paton Member

Hey Gene : Where I come from we would call this Canadianized . By the way there is no need for a 250 mph fan as the injecter hat is in a vacuum situation whenever the motor is running . At 325 mph the top of the blower is subjet to - 3 to -5 psi vacuum . Aiming the nozzles at the blades [ peeing into the wind ] is the right thing to do . Barry out Next-----

6. eli

eli Banned

Yo, Barry ever think maybe thats why the fuel guys blow up all there shit every run? :eek: :rolleyes: P/S beside being taught not to eat yellow snow, pissing into the wind was the other one. and besides that on a screw blower, if you aim the nozzles at the blades, the fuel gets trapped in the cavity in front of the rotor's after the burnout, and the car will take a shit on the starting line, maybe your right with a roots, Gene in, by the way can i tell a Canadian joke without you guys getting all upset????

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  7. 182 TAD

182 TAD New Member

Canadian Joke

Hey Gene !!!!!:D:D

Just waiting for the Joke !!!!!!

8. eli

eli Banned

\
    A young Kid was working in a super market, a man walks up to him and asks for a half a loaf of bread, the kid looks at him funny and says let me go in the back and ask the boss if we have one, he goes to the back of the store and asks the boss, he says boss some asshole wants a half a loaf of bread, he turns around and the guy is right there ,so he says and this gentleman wants the other half, they give the guy a half a loaf of bread and he leaves. the boss says to the kid dam your quick on your feet you got out of that one ok. so he asks the kid how would you like to be the manager of my store up in canada? the kid says canada there ain't nothing in canada but hockey players and ho's, the boss says hey watch it my wife is from canada, so the kid says no kidding what team did she play for?? :D:D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  9. craig moss

craig moss Member

pointing the nozzles

I have a 14 hh delta and ports I have had the ports aiming at the blower and have never pointed them at the valve I was thinking of pointing the hat nozzles at the butterflies would it be worth doing it is on a jet boat approx 140 mph thanks craig:cool:

10. Thurston

Thurston New

Nozzle protrusion in intake runner

Bill, talk to any good head porter and they will tell you that the air along the surface of the intake runner (boundary layer) moves very slow compared to the air in the middle of the runner. Setting the nozzle tip close to the wall of the runner will cause the fuel to stall and puddle causing all kinds of different tune up problems. IMO whichever direction you chose to point the nozzle; try to place the opening of the tip close to the middle of the intake runner. This places the fuel in the maximum airflow helping atomization. In fact the air will speed up as it pass over the rounded nozzle port and you will gain more because of the air speed and atomization than you will lose with a very minimal amount air volume lost.

Hope this answers your question
    Jim Thurston

11. bobbyblue359

bobbyblue359 New Member

Thurston quit giving away all the speed secrets! We all know you put your nozzles in the exhaust pipes because they atomize better in the very warm air and make a hell of a show for the crowd.Up the fuel pressure to 175 - 220# and it doesn't matter which way you face them as the atomization for alcohol is optimized. Jimmy is right(god, why did I say that?) the air in the center of the port accepts fuel much better than at the edge and you don't lose air volume to the protruding nozzle: air speeds up and flows around the nozzle---the little bit of vacuum created right next to the nozzle is filled with alky and it leaves very quickly.

12. bobbyblue359

bobbyblue359 New Member

Forgot to mention: We were told to point hat nozzles at the middle of the rotor for open nozzles (idles) and 16# nozzles (offidle-transition) towards the visible corner of the rotor fronts, which sucks in the alky and beats it to death, thus atomizing it while cooling/lubricating the blower. If you disagree--OK. It was a gift from the Great Magician Mandolini.

13. Thurston

Thurston New

Nozzle

Hey Bob, that one just sliped out ;). How’s your crew situation coming, find anyone to help out in the race shop??
    Thurston

14. flatbladed

flatbladed New Member

no nozzel, big nozzel little backwards forwards upsidedown

we tried every direction on our little 10 gallon motor never any different .if someone said they saw a difference its because something else happend at the same time. like " i turned my nozzels twards the center of the manifold and it ran quicker" they did not know or tell you the air got better by 500 feet or water grains went away a bit. when a blown alc motor is wide open or "flatbladed" there is SO MUCH sh4t blowing and puddleing around it does not matter which way the nozzels are pointing.

15. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Thanks everyone for your opinions and thoughts.

We have decided, after much deliberation and estimation, to go with the stock nozzle location and intended direction (toward the valve).

We have spoken to several head porters, who agree with Bobbyblue in that the shape and location will not inhibit port flow.

We are also of our own opinion that the Littlefield manifold we're using has too short of an intake runner to turn the nozzle toward the plenum without the possibility of fuel jumping across runners, thus making it more difficult to tune.

This certainly has been an interesting conversation and thought process to say the least.

-Bill