port nozzle balancing

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by gregl, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

Greg,
    Welcome to the Hi-Tech world of flowed fuel systems. :D
    If you want to tune a fuel system, have your system re-flowed and buy all your flowed nozzles & jets from the same person that flowed your system, if not your just taking a guess as what the numbers really mean.
    You can flow your own jets & nozzles with a leak down tester, but you first must make sure your leak down tester is calibrated.
    A leak down tester usually has a .040 restrictor jet in it and to check calibration you flow a flowed .080 jet or nozzle and the gauge should read 80% if not you will have to change the size of the restrictor jet.
    Read this article to understand this a little more.
    http://www.kenlowe.com.au/LFS-leak check info.htm

2. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

I got a stupid question. If you only want to change one port nozzle, and so you compensate by doing the opposite w/ the main jet to keep pressure the same....how do you do this when your main jets change .005 per jet, 95, 100, 105 etc? Is this when you'd have to modify your main to get an area change inbetween jet sizes? does that make sense???
    Josh

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Ralph Gorr cleans up the exit side of the jet then he flows it and gets a GPM number then looks at a chart that states that GPM matches a hole of .xxx" jet size and that is size is what he stamps on the jet. The hole diameter may not be what is stamped on the jet the the GPM always matches his charts on GPM versus hole diameter and matches the GPM charts he supplies. This way when you change a jet you know the flow is really going to change. The other neat thing about doing it this way is you can buy more jets of the same size or different size and it will always fall right in place with the previous flowed jets you bought.

If you try to balance EGTs without using some kind of flowed jet you maybe chasing your tail. Also it is pretty hard to use software like Les Davenport's Jetsize without flowed jets. It kind defeats the purpose of the Jetsize software.

If you really want to laugh is to flow the NOS brass jets. Sometimes they are 40% off on flow.

4. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Okay so when you use a leak down tester to test the flow of your jets, are you simply looking for a leak down number that is less/more than the next size of jet? You can't get a flow number off of a leak down number right? ...just curious cause i'd like to flow all my main jets!

Josh

5. JP

JP Member

I'm really not a expert by any means but I have been racing alcohol cars for 15 years . I get my systems flowed by Austin and oddy and usualy there are just a couple of hundres degrees off on one or two cylinders . I have done and benn told to change thoses port nozzle .001 at a time less diameter for more egt and viceversa . AT the same time keep your main jet constant with the wheather changes and I the pressure at say 8000 doesn't change by more than five psi then do not anything more . However Less Davenport jetsize is the best tool to fix and keep constant the pressure , flow and the car running.... Just my two cents and to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks guys as a whole group everyone here are truly helpfull!

6. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

If you don't mind spending the money, you could switch to Waterman nozzles with drop in jets. Those come dead nuts out of the box.

7. JERRY McGONIGLE

JERRY McGONIGLE New Member

Check out the leakdown tester for checking nozzles, pills, barrel valves, and backpressure poppets, and cylinder leakage at www.machinedesignserviceinc.com

8. Eric David Bru

9. gregl

gregl Member

Just wanted to let you guys know I bought some enderly nozzle jets and adjusted a couple of ports about 4 sizes and brought my system pressure up which kept my high speed lean out open when hitting second gear and made my boat allot more consistant and egt's are all in the 900's.I ran three 7.0sec passes on saturday and mag box took a shit first pass in eliminations on sunday.One of these days I will win one of these deals.Thanks for everyones help.

10. eli

eli Banned

Thanks for letting us know. ;)