Pomona TV coverage

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Blown Chances, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

We're always talking marketing somewhere around this forum so I thought I'd point out something I noticed while watching the Pomona Sportsman coverage a minute ago. I’m sure everyone on the board saw it, but did you notice the commercials? The line up was certainly different from last season’s. Here’s what I noticed:

What I saw:

A Nissan commercial.
    A Scalp-med commercial. (Complete with Hot Rod Fuller endorsement)
    A Verizon wireless commercial.
    A Geico commercial.
    And my favorite,
    A Pizza Hut commercial with Jessica Simpson, oh yes, Jessica Simpson.

What I didn’t see:

A Bowflex commercial.
    The Fram Air Hog commercial. (THE Fram Air Hog commercial because there was only one, replayed 45 billion times)

So, I’m impressed with the level of advertisers involved with the TV coverage at least. Whoever’s in charge of that sure did a great job over the off season. This would also indicate that there is value in this program featuring our TA cars. If anyone knows what information they used to convince these companies to advertise with the sportsman program, please share the info. This person/group has numbers (Ratings, # of viewers, etc.) regarding these programs which could make for a great tool to acquire sponsors for the competitors.

Cody “The Flash” Perkins
    ----------------------------------
    Current top 10 player

2. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Cody,

I noticed that too and its a nice change from the normal played out commercials. I think you are right the powers that be see the alky cars as a good way to get advertisers out to a whole new audience. See you guys at Firebird in a couple of weeks

3. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

too bad they dont often repeat those alky shows:(

4. Kosmo

Kosmo tad

Sure they do, At 3:30 in the morning when the majority of American sports watching public is watching t.v.!:)

5. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

Have you heard of "TIVO"....

6. Chris Demke

Chris Demke Super Comp

Does anyone know when the 2nd showing will be? Not that I want to watch myself get "tree'd" again, but a friend of mine does have a Tivo, and NHRA.com has already removed this race from the schedule.

thanks,

Chris

7. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

Hay Chris, What was going on in your head when you staged? Where you thinking about the Jack and Cokes you where going to be drinking in the winners circle?

Doug

8. Chris Demke

Chris Demke Super Comp

Doug,
    You're killing me... You aren't gonna let me forget that night, are you??? :)
    Anyway, this is what happened. My lights hadn't been too great since coming back from my crash, and I thought I'd try something to get a better reaction time. When I pre-staged, I let the car roll in a little farther, and accidentally turned on the stage beam. So there I was, both pre-stage and stage bulbs on, engine at an idle, and Shields hadn't even pre-staged yet. (none of this is evident in the TV coverage) 'Stay calm' I thought to myself, I can handle this... As I wait, Shields rolls in to the pre-stage beam. I glance down at the tach (MISTAKE!!!) as I bring the R's up to staging rpm, and as I look back at the tree Shields has already staged and the 3 yellows are already on!!! UGH!!! I could see his whole car by the 330, and knew that I was doomed.
    Lesson learned: do NOT try new things in eliminations, and don't think, just drive!!!
    the crew of the Peen-Rite dragster was not pleased.
    It was especially painful seeing both Torrence and O'Bannon lose with mechanical failures and thinking - Coulda, shoulda, woulda...
    Chris

9. robert

robert New Member

and chris drinks crown not jack

10. Chris Demke

Chris Demke Super Comp

No Robert, I do drink Jack Daniels. Crown Royal is so expensive that all I can
    afford are the little airline size bottles ... :)
    Inside story: At the Division 7 race last september in Fallon, NV, Bob and Cody
    Perkins were hot on my butt to take the Div 7 title. Perkins was paired up
    with Eric Morris in the semi's (Robert is 'Clutch Hoe' on the Morris TAD).
    Before the round I went over to Morris' pit and told them that if they can
    beat Perkins I would buy them a bottle of their choice. The racing surface
    at Fallon was marginal at best, and both teams were having trouble getting
    down the track all weekend. Morris ended up beating Perkins, 6.09 to 6.52.
    After the race I thanked Morris and team and asked them what was their
    preference in poison. There was no question: they wanted Crown Royal! I told
    them that I would hold true to my promise, and at the next race we crossed
    paths I would deliver their prize.
    We didn't meet up again until the season closer in Pomona, but Robert made sure
    he came by our pit to ask about the bottle of Crown. "Oh yeah", I remembered.
    "I'll have a BIG bottle for you tomorrow." On the way out to the track the
    next day I stopped off at the liquor store at the corner of Arrow Hwy and
    Fairplex Dr, the one right behind the the Pomona Raceway tower. They had all
    sizes of Crown behind the counter, but what really caught my eye were the little
    airline size bottles, complete with the little purple bags. I bought 1 big
    bottle and a couple of the little ones. We entered the racetrack headed to our
    pit, but stopped by Morris' pit for the special delivery. Robert and the crew
    saw me arrive, and eagerly headed over to receive their long awaited gift. I
    hid the big bottle of Crown under the seat and rolled down the window of the
    truck. "Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!" I said as honestly as possible
    as I held up one of the little bottles of Crown Royal...

The look on their faces was PRICELESS!!! :)

Of course, I eventually handed over the big bottle as well. The truth, however, is that it was
    my BROTHER'S idea!!!

chris

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  11. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Those times aren't very reliable! I set my Tivo for one of those red eye times and it was Pool instead!

12. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

Chris,

It's interesting to hear the things you guys did to pick on our little team last year. It was definitely fun though. This year should be quite interesting. I remember a post about the toughest division in each category. If everyone hasn't yet noticed, Div. 7 will easily be the hardest challenge to even win a single event in TAD IMHO. I believe the current list of full schedule combatants are:

Demke (div. 7 champ)
    Austin (top 10)
    Perkins (The man)
    Shields (won winters)
    Windam (former championship car)
    O'bannon (Grimes, need I say more)
    Niver (first 30 on 97%)
    Brown (finally got the big bucks)
    That's 8, but all of the above should consider them selves lucky if one or 2 or 3 of these guys don't bump em' out.
    Miersch
    Ahten
    Isbell
    Swearingen
    Whitely

Now if only those other 2 teams based in California, (but running away to div. 2) would come play, we'd be in for a full boat load of fun. Oh, and a crazy prediction just came to mind. A BAD from the west will win the 2006 Championship. 8:1 odds, place your bets.

See ya guys in Pheonix

Cody "The Flash" Perkins
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    I'm gonna get some serious replies to this.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  13. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

8:1 against Conway/Torrence?

I like those odds....so if I put $100 on Conway/Torrence, you're going to pay out $800 if they win the championship. :D

14. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

I need to take a trip to Vegas

Make it 4:1 that the BAD thing will happen..... but I might take your money on the Conway/Torrence bet.

Oh, and we don't actually wager money, we bet mini bottles of Crown. Right Chris?

15. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Cody,

I dont know which is worse, TAD or TAFC in D7. For us plastic fantastics you have
    Gasparrelli ( not sure if they are playing in our sandbox or D4 )
    Taylor ( Ora gets the new combination figuerd out, watch out )
    Gordon ( always a killer )
    Williamson
    Woz
    Weaver ( 2x D7 champ )
    Miner ( are Larry and the boys going to have the new car out soon? )
    Patton ( gotta throw my team in the mix )

and then throw in hitters like
    August ( .50 and .60 runner )
    Swayne ( you know Randy wont stay away )
    Rupert ( looked good at Winters )

its gonna be a dogfight in here too. Oh and unless Herb Linder sells his old chassis, buys a newer car and some new motors you probably wont see Cliff Whitely playing with you dragster guys this year. Have fun this year, I know watching that three way battle in TAD was pretty cool

16. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

Frankie,

Rupert, August, or Swayne could all certainly contend for the title as well, I don't see a single slouch in the line-up. I see your point, if you want to be the best, beat the best, run D.7. (TAD or TAFC)

Jim Whitely has a brand new CNE car with the best parts money can buy and those Strasburg guys turning the screws. He licenced at the last chance test in Vegas and will be in Pheonix with the rest of us. Could be a "darkhorse" (exclusive term of ITA and its affiliates, darkhorse can not be rebroadcast without express written consent of Wheelie Will Hanna and this forum).

17. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Cody,

Sorry I had Cliff Whitley and Jim Whitley confused. Like you said, it should be interesting this year ( as it always is ). I like Chris' reference to Eric Morris's clutch guy. I wonder if the term clutch hoe fits all of us clutch guys or just Eric's, too funny

see ya next weekend Cody

18. Doug Watt

Doug Watt AFD

Don't worry I am getting older, and it's the second thing to go, right? (my memory that is...)

19. Tad117

Tad117 Member

Chris just something to rember if the other driver is not pre staged you can back the car up just have to do it quickly.

20. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Hey Franny, remember when i had Dave staged with my feet all those years ago? (1994 i think Etown points race) I remember Daves eyes in the car, like what the hell are you doing..LOL

we were stoked we ran a 6.34 that night