Pomona TAD entry list ?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by wolfgang, Dec 29, 2007.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

I see an entry for Art Trautman in an a-fueler.

Anyone know about this car? Does he own it or is he driving for someone else?

Thanksl

2. EX-NSP

EX-NSP New Member

ART Trautman

I recall him as a Div 7 Super Comp guy from Arizona. Don't know the AFD.

Maybe just stepping up to the next level.

3. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

I believe he is driving for Curt Shendel. It is the same car that Brian Smith drove.

4. JBJ

JBJ Member

You would be correct. Brian is going TAFC racing as he bought J.P's car.

5. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Not that I claim to know every single D7 AZ Super Comp racer ( seeing as how I am one ) I dont know anything about Art or what he is driving this year.

6. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

So I have only two grade points so I am still waiting on my shot to enter the race. By the time I actually get to enter the event will already be full more than likely. Now my question is how does a guy who has zero grade points get to enter before a guy with two grade points? Am I doing something wrong here? Somebody let me know where I am missing the boat.
    Dave Germain

7. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Dave you know you are not missing the boat. This happens every year. NHRA can make exceptions to this rule. I guess it just depends on who you are and who you know. Good luck with your entry.

8. clint thompson

national event entry process

Hey Dave,

I don't think it is the who you know theory. I think that you can pre enter whenever you want and they will take all the qualified (enuf grade points) cars up to the quota. If you registered at the time you could and someone was on the list with less grade points than you then I think you bump them out. Notice I said I think because I am not totally sure. If the field is full with people with more grade points than you on the day you can register then you will be SOL. if the field is full on that day, but one or more of the entries has less grade points than you you would bump them out. Simple stuff that gets very complicated.

just go online, register for all the races you want to go to and see what happens. The only ones where the grade points are usually a big deal are pomona, indy and vegas.;)

9. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Maybe Art has enough grade points from running Super Comp this year to allow him to enter TAD at the Winters. Theres nothing that I know of in the rulebook that says you have to earn your points in TAD/TAFC to enter a national event in those classes.

I just thought of something, cant you go by owner grade level points in the alcohol classes? Brian Smith ran the car at a lot of LODRS races this year. Could Art get in with owner points?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  10. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Owner

If he is in fact driving for Curt Shendel, then they more than likely entered on the car owner's grade points, and in this case, since Brian Smith finished in Div. 7 top ten in Curt's car, Curt has a car owner Bronze Card. You can enter any race whenever you wish when you have a Bronze Card.

Clint, I am a grade two driver right now, and it won't let me click on the event and enter it until it is open to my level. When I had a bronze card last year, I could click on any race and enter it when I wanted to.

11. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Rules

I really think there is something more to this subject. I also cannot even open the registration thing until it is open to me and my measly little two grade points. On the other hand I looked up Art Trautman and he only entered one event last year and didn't qualify at that one and that was in top dragster. I will admit that I don't even know him and he is no doubt a great guy but I have an issue with the rules. I have a obsessive compulsive streak and I have always thought that rules were RULES for everybody. I dearly love drag racing and if you read my website Blog you will see how far I have gone so I can race. But if we have rules why aren't they rules for everybody? The NHRA might as well do the "Pinks" thing, let us argue for car lengths and have the naked eye decide who wins if they aren't going to adhere to their own rules. Why even bother to print a rule book if you aren't going to use it?

12. ITS IN MY BLOOD

I believe Will is right,..
    .........Car entered, by using the Owner Grade Points rule.
    Any driver with the appropriate license can drive any car, in which
    the car owner has enough grade points to enter,..at any event.

13. LaDon

LaDon New Member

I will guarantee Will is right. He has been doing this way too long to not know. Anybody that can sell our magic 80 main pill has got something going on for him!

14. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

This owner grade point thing is really confusing to me. Where can you look up owner grade points. Also where in the rule book does it even mention owner grade points?
    I know that in the past it has been possible for a driver who does not have the necessary grade points to be admitted depending on who they might be driving for but it always seemed to be an exception to the rules made by NHRA. If there is anybody out there that can show me the rule that says the owner gets the grade points please let me know. I kinow we could not race at Houston Nationals a couple of years ago even though the car (owner) had the required grade points.

15. ArtWorkPhx

ArtWorkPhx New Member

How Art Registered

OK guys I have remembered my password so I can reply to all these posts about who I am and how I got registered.

I compete in Div 7 Super Comp and Top Dragster. Last year I competed at five (5) divisional events and I have 5 grade points, this is how I registered several weeks ago. The Bronze card post is not correct either. And owner and driver points can't be combined. Dave who stated I have zero points is very wrong about the points and not qualifing in TD. Anyone can register the way I did, you are allowed to use your points for another catagory but you can't use them twice in the same event. If it were who I was or who I know I would be sitting at home. I used my points available for Pomona to enter in TAD and not SC. I am driving Curt Schendel's car.

If anyone needs more info on how grade points are awarded and used just go to NHRA.com and in the search window type in " grade points" and it should take you to an artical dated 01/21/2005.

Art Trautman 7388

16. eli

eli Banned

Lets Take Mike Neff as an example, he never drove anything, how do you think he just jumped in to one of Forces cars and started going to national events??? Im sure there are no crew chief points. :)

17. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Art Trautman

I got an email from Art Trautman and he informed me that he was entered at Pomona based on his own grade points. I owe him an apology because I used him as a example to illustrate a point about national event entries. I actually looked his grade points up in NHRA.com before I said anything. Apparently either myself or the NHRA didn't do too good of a job, them listing his events or me researching it. But I still believe there are racers competing without having actually acheiving the required grade points but Art Trautman is not one of them. Dave Germain

18. The Zone

The Zone Member

I know there used to be a rule where a rookie driver had exceptions for entering. Is that rule not in place anymore.
    Not needed here for Art as he did reply for his entry acceptance (his 07 top dragster grade points.)

Dean

19. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

owner points

Thanks for clearing things up Art.

I don't know where it is documented, but to my understanding a car owner can be awarded any grade points/awards (such as gold/silver/bronze cards) that his/her car earns. I believe both Alan Bradshaw (driver) and Randy Meyer (owner) carried gold cards after winning the championship and going seperate ways in 2004. With that understanding, and I would check on this Art, I am sure Kurt can be awarded a Bronze card and can enter events as a Bronze card holder, bypassing the grade point/opening system. Brian Smith should have a bronze card as well being the driver.

20. dave hirata

dave hirata Member

re: im dumb

ok im having my first of many 2008 dumb attacks. where is the entry list posted? ive checked NHRA website numerous times. help me