POLL: 2 or 3 qualifying runs at regionals?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Aug 12, 2013.

?

Would you prefer 2 or 3 qualifying runs at regional events?

1. 2

26.5%
  2. 3

73.5%
  1. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

When was the last time manzo or bartone payne richert whitelty thompson demeke any of the fastest guys in the country didnt qualify at a regional. In most cases it cost more for guys cause not they have to pay to test thursday.

2. kwldchld

kwldchld Member

3 runs

We need to go to 3 runs on Friday. Stop the testing on Thursday. Most people cant go on Thursday to test so that puts most people behind. By the time qualifying is over your well funded teams have had 4 hits at the track counting Thursday. If the the slower cars are going to survive they will need 3 runs. Lets face it your well funded teams are the minority her not the majority. This way we dont need to take off more time from work. :cool:

3. Kevin Watson

Kevin Watson New Member

I've quickly become a fan of the three and three in two day format. Gets us in and out quickly but we aren't losing precious laps and data. This is a relatively new thing out west and I'm liking it.

4. maddhatter

maddhatter Jr. Dragster

3 runs

this is not a pro catagory how is a team going to learn w only 2 runs lol if you have a problem on one run you have a chance ... if u only want to make one run or two that is an option

5. duane shields

duane shields New Member

2 or 3 runs

After several years of running both Regional formats, I would like to see them go to 3 qualifier runs on the same day and eliminations the following day. I myself like the friday and saturday race format because it leaves Sunday as the flex day for rain or other delays that have happened. It seems like it doesn't matter if it's two qualifiers or three, we still have a lot of cars testing on Thursday, so people are taking off work early for the most part anyways. With the higher car counts in several regions because of the fewer races to choose from, the 3rd run makes it better for the times in which you have a fluke problem, or choose not to do the Thursday test day.

Duane

6. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

What Duane said makes sense to me.

7. Chuck Anderika

Ask Steve Griboski if he would like to give Tony Bartone another run to qualify this weekend in Topeka

8. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

3rd Chance

That last qualifier was at least the fourth lap for both Griboski AND Bartone in Topeka in 48 hours... some weekends it doesn't matter how many laps you make.. What about someone like Steve Burck who drove from Corpus Christi, TX who didn't test and left like a rocket, but couldn't shift out of low gear in the 2nd qual?

**here comes the rant**
    This is Top Alcohol racing, but its also drag racing.. Best part about drag racing is all it takes to win a round is just being a little less screwed up than the team in the other lane. Some weekends some guys have their shit together better than others. And at the next race the guys who were screwed up have their shit together and the winner last week doesn't make it past first round or DNQ's. Then there are people who always seem to have their shit together and hauling ass no matter what. And these people intimidate us "humans" into making dumbass decisions sometimes and handing them wins, and for some reason they seem impossible to beat or run with. If you knew the true lap counts of success vs. failures on the "super" teams that test their ass off compared to most of us, I guarantee you almost every car has damn near the same batting average. All we see is the badass because they've already got the stupid out of their system somewhere else. The rest of us are getting the stupid out during races. Super Budget teams hire people who've already got most of their stupid out of the way years ago, and even they still manage to find new ways to lose races or even DNQ on occasion.

And I think no matter the number of the qualifying laps, budgets and parts, the teams who happen to be a little less screwed up in pre-race prep, speaking racecar and reading the track than the others that weekend are going to make the field and go rounds. I think teams deserve the chance to run their cars in qualifying at least enough to A) make the tow worth your while, B) Learn something, right or wrong and C) have enough chances to put your best foot forward to try and make the field. Why sell yourself short a lap to learn something? Too keep the big dogs on a leash?

I like 2 Day races, 3 qualifiers. It's there if you NEED or want it. Otherwise, save your shit and don't make the lap. Typically there's 1 session that winds up in conditions you'll never see for eliminations anyway.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013