Oil Quantity

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Flyboy68, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Sorry for the repeat subject. We're running a KB 526 w/ a Dan Olsen dragster pan. It says on the website it's a 12 quart pan. How many quarts of oil do you all run w/ a simular combo? We're running a system one remote oil filter as well as a 3 quart accumulator. Thanks...

Josh

2. JT Heslink

JT Heslink New Member

I dump 15 quarts in mine to maintain oil pressure at the stripe. A similar motor with 15 quarts in it had 95 pounds of oil pressure at the stripe whereas with 12 quarts he only had about 20 pounds of oil pressure.

3. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

Josh......
    we run the same combo.....KB billet pump dragster pan, with 50 wt. Brad Penn
    17 quarts.....if i were you i would use at least 18. give me a call if you need to.
    Darren

4. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

we run 16 qt and 2 bottels of STP..Dave

5. blown375

blown375 New Member

HHHMMMMMMMMMMM?

You guys have me wondering now! Im running a BAE with an olson dragster pan with 13 qts of 70w brad penn oil with no issues. :rolleyes:

6. Big Sexy

Big Sexy Member

With a smaller FC pan, I run 3 gallons of Valvoline 70w.

7. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

Any of you run the 3 quart accumulator?

8. danddan

danddan New Member

oil capacity

i was just going to post this same question - i have a kb block 526ci - no idea what brand pan - it measures 5" deep at the front and back - any idea how much oil i should be running?

9. tdragster

tdragster New Member

Oil amount

So are you running 15,16,17 quarts in a pan made for 12 or are these higher capacity pans. Thanks

10. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

When we had our TAD with a wet sump (KB, BAE setup), we also ran that 3 quart accumulator setup - worked great. So with a dragster pan (12-13 quart capacity) plus the 3 for the accumulator - so that's 15-16, plus the lines and filter. We ran 18 with that deal. Remember, even though your pan only holds 12, there won't be 12 in there when you're leaving the starting line. Burnout and backing up, and then once you bring your stage RPM up, you've got a lot of oil in the heads as well as splashed up into the lifter valley area.

On a side note we found that accumulator deal worked awesome, especially when the chutes hit. Normally I'd always notice the oil pressure gauge drop to zero or damn near when the chutes hit, after we added the accumulator it would drop significantly less.

11. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Thanks for the insight on the accumulator Nathan. Good to know. Is there anyway of precharging that accumulator to lube the motor when it's never been started?

We called Dan Olsen and we have the 12 quart dragster pan. They told us to put 14 quarts in it to be safe. So plus the filter and accumulator, it looks like we'll be putting 18 quarts in. Better have a big funnel :D

Josh

12. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

The only way that comes to mind is to pull the mag drive out and spin the oil pump (with the accumulator valve open) with a drill like we do every year at the beginning to make sure we've got oil pressure without spinning the motor. Just have someone else shut the valve off before you stop spinning. Other than that, obviously you can't shut the valve before shutting the car off with the regular setup on a run - but I think they have an electric solenoid you can add to it to do that.

When warming up in the pits we used to always shut the valve off before shutting the car off so all we had to do after starting the car on the line is open the valve up, we never really used it as a pre-lube deal - just to protect from sharp oil pressure drops.

13. 84champ

84champ New Member

84champ

there are a number of factors that have to be conciderd.the amount of oil bled off through to much bearing clearance size of restrictors to top end i think you need to weigh in all of these things and compare apples to apples Scot johnson

14. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

hey scott hows it going??? haven't seen you in a long time...check your private messages..Dave

15. James D

James D New Member

accumulater

They make an electric valve for the accumulater ($100). I had one and would flip it on for 10 seconds and it would give me 30-35 lbs before starting. You can adjust the pressure you want pushing the oil back out by adding or taking away the air pressure you put into the tank, very easy deal.

16. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Yeah we have the electric solenoid w/ the one way valve. Cool deal.