Oil Psi, Kb Olds Wetsump, Olson Pan

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by shawn davis, Oct 16, 2006.

1. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

Looking At Racepak Data, Our Pressure Is Around 100 At The Hit, Drops To Around 40 2 Seconds Into The Run, Kb Olds Block, Lunati Crank, Melling Pump, Dan Olson Pan. We Ran This Combo For Years With No Computer, Graph Looks Like It Will Continue Downward Furthur Into The Run..restrictors In The Block Front And Rear,14 Quarts Total, System One Filter. Anyone With A Similar Combo ?
    Kinda Scared To Stretch It Out A Full 660 Feet

2. overkill69

overkill69 Member

you've got problems. We run a 12qt olsen with a titan pump(big spring) and a 3 qt accumulator.15 qts of Redline 50wt. We put our own restrictors under the cam bearings so we're feeding the top end with 2 .050 passages total.We also run (2) 3/4 inch hoses from the back of the heads to the oilpan. Makes around 85psi at the hit runs between 80-90 down track. We may have overkilled the thing but we spent a long time on the dyno and burned up pushrods and everything else. We now have 25 runs on the main bearings at around 1700hp tuneup. If you need help you can call me at 316-942-8355. I love bitching about KB Olds oiling issues..lol Mike

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

more oil

the quick crutch fix is more oil. i would think you're going to need closer 17-19 quarts. even if the oil is above the windage tray, it's not going to be as soon as it starts.

someone with olds exp may be able to help with the oiling issues. maybe get with Mike Kosky or Troy Buff. Marc White also hangs around the site...he used to crew chief on Randy Park's Olds.

4. aaa2643

aaa2643 New Member

Olds

We run a KB OLDS with a dry sump. Never had oiling problems though fitted restrictors to 3 centre cams bearings which also pinned the bearings. Runs a barnes 3 stage pump. Runs 110psi idle, 135psi on the run. Never hurt a bearing, pushrod, nothing. Though run 18 litres in the tank. Leaves a litre or so in the sump after a pass.
    Steven

5. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

I Was Planning On Keeping It Wet Sump, I May Switch Pumps. I'll Call You Today Mike Maybe You Can Assist

6. KDavidson

KDavidson Member

Shawn,
    We run a wet sump KB olds with 12 qt pan, Moroso omni filter, Titan pro pump .060 restrictors behind cam bearings. I measured the pan at the 4 degrees it sits in the car, with 12 qts it just comes to the top of the windage tray. We run 14 qts in the total system and have had no bearing issues....yet.
    But after the burnout and when the chute hits it will drop below 50 psi (I installed a pro lite with a 50 psi sender since I cannot see the gauge on a pass). It never has come on on a pass, we are making only 1400 HP and do not spin it that high at the moment (7200-7300). I would like to put more power and RPM to it, and that's why I'm interested in keeping the oil pressure stable. We run Brad Penn nitro 70 in the summer and Valvoline NSL 50wt in the colder months. The oil pressure will go to 20 psi after the run with the Valvoline (then recover) and down to 40-45 psi with the Brad Penn 70wt (then recover). We stage at 125 psi.
    We plan on install on shorter pan (ground clearance is an issue) and then adding a moroso or accusump accumulator. We also run Clevite V bearings.

I'm interested in all opinions on this matter.

Keith

7. 521BAE

521BAE New Member

What happens is that the oil is pumped straight out of the pan up to the top of the engine. We had this problem for a while and a dry sump will fix the problems

8. blownzr1

blownzr1 New Member

kb olds

anyone here have a good kb olds block they want to sell
    ?would prefer a 10.7 deck hight if you do call ronnie 434 525 9142 or cell 434 944 4048 thanks

9. NarrowCamaro

NarrowCamaro New Member

We run a kb olds with billet aj stg4 olds heads with wet sump. Our own pan, titan pump and accusump accumulator with a moroso(oberg type) filter with 14 quarts of blended kendall nitro 50 and 70 depending on the weather and have never had any oiling issues with the motor. ;)

10. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

I Think I Found An Issue, Pickup Is Only 1/4 Off The Pan Floor.
    I Am Going To Adjust It, But How Does That Accusump Work? Does It Maintain Pressure Or Does A Valve Open During Low Pressure Conditions?

11. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

Thats where the pickup should be so what are you going to adjust?

12. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

I Was Thinking .400 Off

13. KDavidson

KDavidson Member

Titan told me 3/8" for their pro pump.

Keith