Oil Info

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by WIZBANG, Jan 18, 2007.

1. bottomdollar

bottomdollar New Member

sticky oil

got to agree with bryan. lucus is a great oil additive. we are using 2qt to 14 qt of kendell nitro 70. we (knock on asphalt) have not ever lost an engine!!!!!! WELL except when we shifted 2600 rpm late :eek:
    there hub oil for heavy duty axle lube is the best ever made.
    lets dont forget about there powersteering oil. this is a wonder drug for any power steering system.

2. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

Maybe I'm All Wet, But We Have Been Running 50 Wt In An Alcohol Chevy? I Am Under The Impression It Is The 50 Wt That Isn't The Good Oil. Maybe The 70 Wt Is Still The Good Stuff ? Do You Think I Should Change To The 70 Wt ? Dry Sump !

3. blown1020

blown1020 New Member

good ?,im also running 50 weight in a blown chevy,how is the bradd penn 50 w compare to the 70 nitro, anybody running 20w50?how often are you guys changing oil?

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

A lot on what weight oil is used is dependent on you rod and main oil clearences and how much oil pressure you can maintain.

5. funnycarguy 230

I Run A Rodeck (big Block Chevy) And I Spoke With Jim Oddy He Is Suppost To Be The Blown Bbc King, He Told Me To Run 50w Or 20w50 Syn. That Unless It's Very Hot Outside, I Didn't Need The 70w Oilor Even A 60w. The Bbc Just Dosen't Need It Unlike A Hemi. The Oil Pressure Requirments Are Different For The Bbc And A Hemi, I'm Not Trying To Start Anything Here Just Letting You Know What I Was Told. Hope That Helps Jamie

6. weld_everything

How many cranks will you ruin before...

I have serviced the bottom end of a competitive d3 tafc for fifteen years and we have been all over the place with oil due to never landing an oil deal but when we finally caught on to GREEN Kendall Nitro70 our parts were looking great. As the BROWN oil superceded the green from a buyout of the Kendall/Amalie rifinery we started having bearing issues. C&A M series bearings would actually fleck apart as the babbit surface was not seeing adequate lubrication. We blackened two new Bryant cranks before putting a pressure tap to our PRO2 and could monitor the oil pressure during the run. We now run a line of oils that have netted as much as thirty more pounds of idle oil pressure and almost forty five pounds 8000. You will see a significant taper in pressure near the gear change due to rpm but I will always contend that the brown oil is for the daily consumer who wants the valvetrain to hush up while he takes a car to the auto auction and the green oil is for your supercharged engines....hemi or wedge;) later, BcW

7. Hal Westerlund

Hal Westerlund New Member

Oil

Hi,
    Don Harter in East Wenatchee just bought a pallet of 70 weight and misc other stuff to get distributer pricing, He would be willing to sell some. I can find his number if interested.
    Hal Westerlund

8. Danny Humphreys

Jim Oddy told me the same thing about the 20w50 Redline synthetic. Tried it and promptly kicked the rods out. Went back to running 70 wt and no more probs. I agree Jim knows his stuff, but what Mike said about clearances is correct. A crankshaft journal doesn't know if it's a Hemi or a Chevy.

9. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

Hal, I would like to get the phone number for your connection in East Wenatchee.
    Thank You !

Also Thanks To all for your info !

May the oil gods, NOT rain on the track !

10. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Glad the 70wt is working for you. In regards to the Redline 20/50, if indeed it was that weight it was the street oil. The Redline Racing comes only in straight weights and is very different than the street oil. Personally I use the Redline Racing in a blown gas deal that is always battling detonation. I do pinch a ring lane once in awhile but the bearings always look excellent.

Blessings.......Ron Clevenger.