No more A Fuel cars in Vegas

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Izzy, Apr 14, 2009.

1. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Parts breakage for p-fuel

The days of running quick with no parts breakage with a a-fuel car are over!!!!
    Even if they moved the % back to 97% it would not lessen the parts breakage. If anything it would get worse.
    Why? Because of all the changes to engine combinations and tuneups such as higher compression, cool fuel, short cams, etc. This is what is burning up heads, valves, blocks, cracking cranks, forking rods and getting one run from rod brgs. Do you honostly think that people who will burn er up to qualify or win a round are going to forget how to hop it up on any % of nitro you give them
    Bob Holley.

2. Dale Finch

Dale Finch Member

the two cars are completely different. It is a strange statement to me that blowing up either engine is completely normal. These are "sportsman cars". I will never forget taking an A Fuel owner to the airport with too many cyl heads to carry on the plane. We burned a head every run. Blown cars way past 10,500. Is everyone crazy? A fuel has been hit so often and is so dependent on the corrected altitude. They flat build big torque. The two classes are closer than ever before. Dean will give us averages over the year. Lots of the blown cars are not even running the max OD. Now have another new Od. Never ending.........

3. Nitro cowboy

Nitro cowboy Member

Parity issue solved

Hello All'

I very rarely post here, But after reading Mike Johnson's post I thought I might also give My 2 Cents worth. Great comments Mike, I really know what you mean. I too have raced both types and truly miss the Nitro. But I also had become discouraged, Probability due to my ability to figure it out. Let me tell I tried and tried and could not. I actually had a mutual Friend Tell me I should stay home save some money and really figure out what I want to do, Struggle or Hire someone or try something different. BINGO! It really hit home, I talked with My crew and They just wanted to race as long as we could have a little Fun. I agreed and talked about switching to a Blower. I must say I really have enjoyed the change. We have qualified at most of the races we go to. I'm still learning the tune-up thing and the driving part to. The A/fuel was a simple to drive, But Fun. The blower and shifting is A LOT of fun thought. I Believe that parity will never be achieved as long as two different types of combo's are allowed. But I do believe they can compete. It will just depend on when and where you choose to race. I also disagree with the nitro percent change and I know what a bitch the chilling has become. Another learning curve for you guys. Problem is someone always figures it out and until the A/fuel cars slow down alot NHRA will not make a change. I think that they NHRA would like to slow down the entire sport, They just don't know how. 1000 ft sucks and is not helping parts attrition. The fuse is just shorter. Speeds are creeping back up. The Fans really don't like it either, most are confused with the different classes at different distances. Long live the 1/4 MILE. I think someone once said racing is dangerous. Not for the pregnant Woman, ETC. I used to Rodeo, ride bulls and horses and I don't remember any padding on the ground, no Hans devises, defiantly no 7 point harness. O YA it was DANGEROUS, we have fantastic safety equipment that is constantly improving in Drag Racing and we pay for it, to go FAST. Plan and Simple. I just hope someday that we the racers get more input to rules and regulations and not a lawyer, business consultant, ETC. Just My 2 CENTS.

Dennis Swearingen
    TAD 7222

4. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

Bob,

With all due respect, I don't believe you are correct in this situation. Getting a percentage increase would definitely help the situation not make it worse.

Best Regards,
    Larry

5. jeffj

jeffj Member

First of all, there are 3 combinations legal to run in top alcohol dragster; roots blown, screw blown and injected nitro. If there is an unfairness it is certainly first and foremost the roots combination................either of the others are so close to each other that it is a wash to my eye.
    Everyone has picked the combination that they want to run and/or that they feel has an advantage. Why complain to everyone about the choice you made? Of course they modify the weights, overdrives and % to get it as even as they can but its pretty competitive between the 2 combinations that are currently running to me. Each combination is going to have air, altitude and track conditions that are good or bad for them. You considered that when you picked your combo.
    Anyone suggesting modifying the track length to favour one over the other is just crazy. We have to keep our cars up to date to run them and so should the race tracks.
    Jeff Johnsen

6. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Larry M.

Larry.
    You might be right but I think in the quest to go faster and quicker tuners will take the increased percentage and still use all the tricks they learned running 94%. I am with you though I had rather have the % back. It seems as that on our limited budget just about the time we get the tuneup figured out they change the rules. I don't know if most people out there have a clue how hard it is to overcome a 2% change in nitro. The people with sponsors and big racing budgets can afford to test and waste some parts. I am not whinning but maybe need to look somewhere else to spend my money.

7. pennance

pennance Member

Your 100% correct. When i had my car it was straight outta the can and now weve cut it twice. When i sold my operation i took on my next addiction which was Vegas gambling and found it to be WAY cheaper than A/Fuel racing. But being the fool i am i went back to get hit in the head again by the same baseball bat that hit me when i left. Correct that the bat is bigger now.

I say straight outta the can and one mag and lets go racing!

8. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

One 44 amp mag

They keep saying that they are looking for ways to slow the TFD down. Take a mag away and they will definately slow down. I have tried to run an a-fuel car with one mag and about the best on 100 % we could run was 6.20. Of course we are a little smarter now but you will never burn 25 to 30 gallons of fuel on one mag. You can't keep the cyls lit. Maybe with diesel type compression like about 16:1 maybe!!! Of course then you would need to use criptonite rods pistons and crankshafts and change out every run.