Nitro / Alcohol

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Bar's Leaks Clay, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

B I N G O !

KB

2. Bob Perkins

Bob Perkins New Member

25.00$

hello clayton

we have talked about this before ,same stuff different day.
    i will promise you this you give me and flash 25,000 we will whip
    some serious A$$ on the 250,ooo dollar guy or gal.LMAO ? we
    sneak one in every now and again with no $$$$ help.

thanks again for supporting tad afd classes

BOBBY P

3. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Uh Clay, I hate to tell you this, but whatever you say on this board is a direct reflection of Bars Leaks. Or at least thats the way it was put to me on several occasions in the past. Anytime I ever said anything that people found questionable they went right to the car owner/driver even though he had no knowledge of what I was saying on here. They never bothered to go directly to the source ( me ) Didnt make much sense to me, but then again I was just a lowly clutch guy :D not a car owner, driver or crew chief.

4. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

I don't think my question posted on this subject in the past has ever been answered. How come the blown cars could run in the 20s and 30s five years ago and not now. It seems to me that if you look at the TAFC's best times and look at the last year's best TAD times last year the TAFC are way out front on performance. at least .20 or more difference in the et's. What if Manzo desided to run a TAD. Think he would be competetive???

5. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

It has been answered a number of times you just disregard it as a poor excuse: WEIGHT

They just upped the min so those who could make the 2025 were somewhat hurt by it but it should even out the class a little.

I know there are places that I could improve on but there are very few places that a BAD can cut weight. Our car was 55 lbs heavy (80 lbs over the bare min. of 2050) when we crossed the scales in Pomona after running a 5.33. I'm 6'1" and 199 lbs. We used to come close to making the 2025 min. but in making more power, other parts needed to be exchanged to be able to hold up to the additional stresses. Mass = strength so we've sacraficed being on weight for not having to fight parts failure. I'm not complaining because other teams can make weight with their cars so I just need to cut some of the unnecessarys, and raising the minimum weight helped us.

Realistically I had a chance at winning the Winternationals. (woulda coulda shoulda) Had I not fell victim to tire shake as even the almighty Manzo did in that lane in that round there's no reason why not. If I had continued to run mid to high 30's I'd have won the race. We have one of the best funny cars out there sitting in our shop. When the day comes that we don't have a chance to win we'll make the switch and begin the learning curve that comes with it.

If Manzo switched to BAD he might be competitive in a few races but wouldn't be "dominant" for years. Working on a combo and working and working and learning and working is what it takes and that's what he's done for 20+ years. That's what Santos had done.

Brandon Johnson is running everything the exact same as his teammate Shields. Shields has been far from dominant with his new combo since he switched, but now he has it figured out and they can run consistant low 30's and 20's after 3 years. Dana also tears that motor apart every night to check every little thing and have it leaking down perfectly. If you don't want to suffer that learning curve, pay a tuner alot of money (Boggs for example).

However if you want to run teens, have alot of money ready. Maybe I'm wrong (happens alot) but look at when the teen runs come and what follows. Mitch Meyers: Pomona Q3 (5.11), E1 (5.10), E2 (5.17) Q3 and E1 were the last runs of the day and allowed for enough time to change/rebuild the motor when it blows up. (from what I heard he was down to only one motor by Sunday so he couldn't hurt it.) He eventually ran a 5.28 in the final to lose on a holeshot.
    Hirata: Chicago Q3 (5.16), only run that day. Did hurt it.
    Morgan Lucas: Q3 (5.12) last run of the day, seeing a pattern. On race day with an impending 45 minute turnaround the car falls off to a 5.30.

There have been other teens, Riechert has done it a few times and I don't often see them throwing their junk on the ground so maybe these instances above are pure coincidence. Meyer was the first to go .13 in Topeka of all places but couldn't get within 1/2 a second of that in the first round. Riechert ended up winning the race so it was still ok conditions for nitro guys.

Garlits set the record years ago, that record stood for the next few years and even he didn't run that good again for a long time. (Don't ask for specific dates, look it up yourself if you gotta.) When asked why he couldn't repeat his past performance he said, "That was a special combination that I'd stumbled onto but it cost alot of money to run it that way. It was better to take that combo and hide it so drag racing could progess and grow because when that combo gets popular the entire sport will change and become very expensive." If I'm right, Boggs' combo is fast and expensive but Lucas can afford it so there's no reason to "hide that combo away for the good of the sport." (I say if he can afford to let him blow it up every round.)

I'm working on my combo. We'll see if another one of my crazy ideas pays dividends when it comes. If its not enough to "even the field" it will work on the FC.

Flash

6. Barry Ferriolo

Flash- sounds like the biggest problem is ... ya need to get NHRA to ban Boggs!

7. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

I'm not worried about Boggs.

8. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Hey Flash,

As it stands today, whats your schedule like so far?

9. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

You made my point. I am glad to see you hang with it. I'm pretty sure that when the heat gets here your comb. will be much more competetive. What is happening is everyone is picking the National events where their chances are better. It took Santos a long time as you said to get the right combination. I didn't expect the blown cars would get the new od fgured out the first race.
    When you put more boost in the motor and increase hp lots of things change.
    It might be that some of the same parts you have been running now fail. Have you noticed that in the heat Boggs tune up is not near as quick. I was there when Mitch ran the 5.10 and 5.11. He told me that they did have a motor problem and on raceday was down to one bullet. However I have seen Randy's car run a 5.13 at Houston with the driver pedeling it. Last weekend I was at Houston and the weather varied between -500 and +500. Lucas ran a couple of 20's and he had no major engine problems. According to Conway he ran the same set of heads and springs all last year. I think that some of the blown cars on average are competetive on race day and with a little time to get the new combination worked out and the warm weather will be better at some of the races. Sounds like you are on the right track. It took Shields a couple of years as you said to get the afd quick and fast and he spent a lot of money I am sure. Dana doesn't work cheap I'm sure. Him and now O'Bannon are gone in the blower game. I think that they were the only two that in the past ran a 20. I know one thingfor sure though that it takes hp to move the weight of a race car down the track. If you are over 15 lbs heavy sounds like you could run faster just by either loosing some weight or spending money on some lighter parts. I'm not trying to be a smart ass I am to damm old for that. I just think it is too early to make judgements. A blown car was R/U last year and could have won it all. I don't know what their problem was towards the end of the season but they sure let a lot of points get away at the end.

10. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

Frankie:

Right now I have 2 strength of materials labs to due by tomorrow, an accounting chapter to catch up, um... oh did you mean race car wise? Well, I won't see you in Pheonix this weekend. From there we'll see. Vegas National is a lock. It will be my 21st birthday that Friday (Apr. 13) so everyone better come have a piece of cake at my pit area. :D

Nitrohawk:

I'm surprised to find we have something in common and something we agree upon. I'm too young to be a smart ass, and its way too early to jump ship on the season. I don't have the budget to run for a championship, so as it stands we go racing when we can with our family to have fun, but its not fun if we don't have a chance to win. Obviously if we show up you know what we're thinking.

O'bannon never ran in the 20's, and they are one of the best teams around. It's definitely not an easy thing to do. When the field learns how to utilize that new overdrive, it will tighten up. Consistant 20's should be very possible in the right conditions. (Thacker and Perry already found those conditions) time will tell.

Flash