NHRA's weight on the A/Fuel cars

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Wendland, Oct 9, 2003.

1. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Mr. Hanna I think you should build an a/fuel car. Maybe then you will give these guys some respect. Running teens aint easy!

2. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

But, at least it is possible (For an AFD).

Wells' and Thacker's runs are much more impressive than any AFD's mid 20.

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

mr hammond,

i think you should build a blown car. see how easy it is to run .20's, much less teens.

i have a ton of respect for the tuners that make the a/fuelers haul ass. i helped tune tim rudy's car for several races, so i do have respect.

you really should think before you type. you would look alot smarter.

[ October 30, 2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Will Hanna ]

4. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Mr. Hanna
    I would like to thank you for all the hard work you must do to keep this web-site running. I just got on line and really enjoy this site. I am sorry if some of my topics have been beat to death, but like I said i'm new to the computer scene. I mean no disrespect to you or anyone else. I think the battle between nitro and blown cars is awesome! I know there were several races that featured a/fuel vs. blown in the final. That is great for the class. I ,as i'm sure you know, love nitro cars. I also love the debate. So, keep it coming!

5. BAD Sis

BAD Sis New Member

ch3no2- I too am fairly new to this site & all the debate. Guess what- I got my ass jumped for having an opinion. But the one thing is I guess my position would have to lean towards the blown side , just because of some of the answers, and remarks of the A/fuel people. I was just more disapointed in the fued than anything. It sounds like there are only two guys that have ran in the 20's this year.... think about it.. that is a big margin. And- the class IS Top Alcohol..... ;)

6. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Maybe NHRA should take a good look at some of these blowers,(gizmo). [​IMG] I know there are a lot of blown cars that have all the knobs turned and still cant run 20's or even 30's. I bet if you call Norm Drazy at PSI he can explain that. If all the blown cars were running high 30's or 40's like they should be if they were running a legal blower, then nhra would have made some significant changes. You reap what you sow. [​IMG]

7. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

Steve, I don't think the Blown guys are stupid enough to try to Sneek a Gizmo on their car! They know what to look for!

8. Will Hanna

Staff Member

i can pretty much assure you that marty and david are running legal d blowers.

it doesn't help your argument tho trying to say a blown car has to cheat to run with an a/fueler...

9. Wendland

Wendland Guest

Bad Sis,

For not being "around the sport" for a while and not knowing much about the class, you sound like you've been around....Who in fact are you?....Someone who already posts on this site but has to hide behind another name? Do you live in Illinois?

10. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Mr Scary, It is extremely difficult for NHRA to check for this gizmo blower. When is the last time you saw a blower taken apart and a template used to check rotor size or placement. I haven't seen it. What I have seen is a lot of blown guys scratching their heads and running 40's. I think Grimes brought some of Santos blowers with him.
    As far as the argument that there should be no significant rule changes, there shouldn't. A little weight is fine, this will slow down a/fuelers. As long as blown cars run occasional 20's and consistant 30's there shouldn't be a major change. Changing nitro % ,even at 99% ,just kills these cars, it's not like topfuel they have blowers to compensate. I agree that a/fuel has the potential to be real fast, but there just isn't consistancy like blown cars, even Darien's car drops cylinders. He has had a great year but as i've said look at the top 10, 6 blown cars 4 a/fuel, A major change is not in order.

11. Will Hanna

Staff Member

i'm no a/fuel expert, or even a blown expert, but i can tell you its pretty easy (six bolts) to take an injector off and for collins to stick his template in the rotor.

i can also tell you after running numberous low .40's on divisional tracks, i can see where the potential is to run low .30's or .20's in the kinds of conditions they saw in chicago. we have a 98 blower on jasons car. i think its a low blow to call david and marty cheaters.

12. Tommy 2 Tone

Tommy 2 Tone New Member

Will, Steve has no clue what he is talking about. I would not waste my time to try and educate someone who thinks he knows everything.

Let him go live in his fantasy world.

13. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Maybe they need to 'fix their shit'. j/k

[ October 31, 2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Pat McGill ]

14. David Smith

David Smith Member

Steve I have seen NHRA check the blowers on a few occasions with my own eyes. 2002 Topeka NHRA checked Blowers on first round winners. Also this year in Chicago they checked all Jeg Allstar competitors blowers. These are two occurances I seen myself I am sure there have been a few other spot checks.

I think someone would have to be crazy to try sneaking a Gizmo blower on there car.

15. The Zone

The Zone Member

ch3no2, you must suffer from tunnel vision: As long as blown cars run occasional 20's and consistant 30's there shouldn't be a major change. I agree that a/fuel has the potential to be real fast, but there just isn't consistancy like blown cars, even Darien's car drops
    cylinders.

Here is a little stat for you: (for 2003 only)
    BAD: 5.30 or quicker passes 41
    Number of BAD's that ran in the 5.30's or quicker 10
    # of BAD's that had multiple 5.30 passes 6
    # of BAD's that made more than 2 5.30 or quicker passes 3

A/Fuelers: # of 5.30 or quicker passes 100+
    # of A/Fuelers that made 5.30 or quicker passes 18
    # of A/Fuelers that made more than two 5.30 or quicker passes 14

Pretty even I would say. :D :D
    Three BAD's made regular 5.30 passes if you can say that 6 for Shields (at three of 14 events attended), 10 for Wells (at 3 of 15 events attended) and 15 for Thacker (at 6 of 14 events attended)
    If you want me to post the consistancy of A/Fuelers or their abiltiy to run 5.30's or quicker regularly let me know.

Now these stats are for the year and the big problem in the parity problem is this.At Nationals the A.Fuelers dominated. NO one can dispute it. #1 qualifier at every event and winner of 11 of 15 events.
    At approximately 1/3 of the divisional events the A/Fuelers were the stronger car in qualifiying and won 75% of the time. At another third of the events the two types of cars qualified pretty well equally, but the BAD's won 85 % of those races. At the other third, the BAD's qualified #1 and won 95% of those races.

So here is a problem that I think has to be addressed. What about that 1/3 where the BAD's are already at a huge advantage (win 95%) and the 1/3 where they are even right now, and win 85% of the races. What will these two scenerios do for the A/Fuelers that WILL slow down (due to having extra weight), which will probably make them absolutely uncompetitive.

This is all a mouthful but it is part of the parity equation. Should the A/Fuelers be compensated at the tracks where they are already at a disadvantage.
    The new rule (plus the clutch) will help the BAD's a bit at Nationals and some of the divisionals. But what can be done to help the A/Fuelers at the races where they are'nt competitive?

Dean Murdoch, SpeedZOne Magazine

[ October 31, 2003, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: The Zone ]

16. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

I usualy don't get involved with this stuff, but I will make one last post......

What are talking about. We don't give a sh't if you posted one, two, a million - just state your opinion or facts and lets get on with it.

17. The Zone

The Zone Member

Huh???????????????
    Dean

18. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

I do know the Gizmo's are legal in Dragboats for the Alky Hydro's only! Tim Stokes ran a pair of 5.30's(5.39-5.37) at over 220 MPH on his!

19. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Will
    You remember a couple of years ago when Jay just loved to be paired up with an afuel car in eliminations?
    This debate could go on forever but "what it is it is". Not all afuel cars run 5.13 and not all BAD's run 5.25 but wouldn't it be great if all cars ran that quick. There would be some great racing. NHRA made their move for whatever reason and I personaly think there was several reasons.
    So lets heal this thing and let LOVE prevail.
    Only the start of next season will tell the story.
    Looking at the qualifing order from Vegas I wonder how it would have looked if the extra weight was on the afuel cars. Maybe Shields 3 and Lucas 5th. And what do you think about the new champion's dng.

20. Will Hanna

Staff Member

couple of things bob,

that was almost 3 years ago in your reference to when i raced with jay meyer. a/fuelers have come along way since then. jay also used some good lights and luck to win some holeshot races like when he beat gallant's 5.35 with a 5.46 among a few other holeshot wins. the gap has grown considerably wider since then.

due to vegas' altitude, the results can be misleading.

good luck next year bob