NHRA's has been acquisitioned (sold)

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by F/C Girl, May 30, 2007.

1. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  2. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

With the professional series being sold, I wonder where that leaves the pro-sportsman series (us). We can't go away. Where will the future pros come from? The first order of the new group should be an instant doubling of the TAD and TA/FC purses to ensure a steady stream of new blood. Anyone second the motion?

3. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

Dang Nancy you beat me to it :D
    I would still like to know how you can sell a (not for profit) corporation since no one really owns it or any stock or assets at least by my limited understanding of business corporations.
    I wonder where this is going to leave the Pro/Sportsman racer T/AD & TA/FC and the other sportsman racers since only the professional series was sold.

4. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

Not that I was a member, seems to me like a good time to bring back the (Top Alcohol Racers Association)
    I 2nd the motion

5. bud7291

bud7291 New Member

Its an organization with assets and rights.. As the article pointed out, they sold the rights to use "NHRA" and such, as well as NHRA owned tracks and contracts. Those things are sellable...

As for the Pro/Sportman racers, it wasnts just the professional series... NHRA has always been "Professional drag racing" and when they say its professional series has been bought I believe it means sportsman too.... Edit: Nevermind, after reading it a second time it clearly says NHRA will retain its non-professional series...

Should we be worried about any effects? It seems Compton and Wally are happy about this, and I dont think Wally would do anything to hurt the sport he built...

CJ Curtsinger

EDIT: yes, after looking again at the article the title is: NHRA assets sold... not NHRA... so maybe you can't sell the association but the assets are fair game...

6. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

Sorry Bob :)

This is a big story though.............

It's going to be interesting.

Doubling the purse would be Sweet for all of the Sportsman and Pro Sportsman categories.

IMO

:cool:

7. bud7291

bud7291 New Member

Well Nancy, if they didn't buy the non-professional series (Lucas Series) then they won't really have any word on what happens to our purses... I think we will get a better idea of what all happened/will happen in the next edition of ND...

CJ Curtsinger

8. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

CJ,
    I hope your right!!
    But given NHRA's track record in certain cases I'm not so sure. Ask the Pro Stock Truck Racers.
    Remember money talks BS walks!!
    I guess we will just have to wait to see how this all pans out :confused:

9. Matt Curry

Take a look at NHRA.com. Looks like they (everyone involved in this "sale") knows what they are talking about. Wally wrote a letter and posted it on the web site. I don't think that we as sportsman racers have anything to worry about. At least I hope we don't have anything to worry about.

10. bud7291

bud7291 New Member

Initial shock is subsiding and logic is seeping through... This may be the best thing that has happened to the sportsman categories... After reading the letter from Wally I get the impression that now the alcohol classes will be the premier category in NHRA... This may mean a lot more exposure to the sportsman levels...

CJ Curtsinger

11. Bob Orme

Bob Orme New Member

I think it will be very interesting how all of this plays out.

I would think the track record of the principles involved in the company purchasing the Pro side of the sanctioning body is nothing but positive, and could well boost the popularity of the sport among the general public beyond anything any of us might have imagined. Their success with starting and building DirecTV to what it is today is a true sign of business and marketing savvy.

Separating the Pro end from the Sportsman end could, and should, also be a positive move. At least I hope so. If the NHRA can now focus more energy and attention to the Sportsman racers and Sportsman racing, the end result should be a better experience for all involved. ...again, at least I hope so.

I have no knowledge concerning the details has to how this all came about, but to speculate just a little, this may have been something in the works for a while, something that would preclude or prevent other individuals or companies from buying the NHRA.

12. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

change?

the way to figure out what's really going on or what's going to happen is to try to interpret the pr jargon and figure out where's the money going...

my initial reaction is that NHRA will now act in nearly identical fashion to the national series like it does the divisional series. NHRA comes in and puts on the race. NHRA Pro Racing will focus on the marketing side.

I'm guessing NHRA will get paid a set fee to put on the races. I'm guessing all other revenues generated from national events will be split between NHRA Pro Racing and the track of the event.

beyond that, it's really foggy what may or may not be the future plans for sportsman racing, specifically the alcohol classes. from what i read into it, i doubt we're looking at much change at all. i damn sure wouldn't expect more payouts.

i'm guessing a good chunk of the $121 million will go into a few pockets, not the racers...

13. Bumpy55

Bumpy55 Member

Randy, do you think maybe Tom was just lending Wally a hand by offering to "Drop a note to everyone for him" LOL:cool:

14. TAFC 5 81

TAFC 5 81 Member

My concern would be; is HD in it for the long haul, or just to polish it up and sell the rights (for a nice profit). On the positive side, if new marketing can make a difference in a TV package that pays NHRA (not vise versa), that will help.

15. ITS IN MY BLOOD

Bottom line is,.......
    everyone IS making money,..... and will make alot MORE,

...EXCEPT THE RACER.......

TIME TO PAY THE CARS THAT RUN....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. bud7291

bud7291 New Member

On that TV note... I heard about that Fox/ESPN thing... I wouldnt say Im an expert on TV marketing, but that seems back asswards... Someone then made it seem even more back asswards when they explained to me that if they paid NHRA to show the events that they would pay for TV commercials (and play them occasionaly so as to return their investment)...

CJ Curtsinger

17. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

What does a nonprofit organization do with a 100 million dollars? I'm also having a hard time not assuming Compton's primary interest in setting this up was for his personal financial gains and what's best for the sport being a distant secondary (if that) concern.

18. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

The next ND would be Way too soon for them to announce a cohesive working plan. that will take some time, changes that happen like this, usually leave things alone for a little bit before implimenting major changes, at least that's how it's always worked in the corporations that I've worked for that have done acquisitions.

right now, there is a real learning curve and meeting after meeting after meeting before the actual decisions will trickle down. Plus, it's literally the middle of a season where there are already many registrations in place, so some of this just has to play out and it will take time.

Hey, this may end up being a GREAT thing for all of us and the sport of Drag Racing Globally, so right now, it's just business as normal. IMO

Interesting points of view though, good post.

take care and good night to all.

If your racing this weekend, good luck!!!!!!

Nancy

19. Henry Charest

Henry Charest New Member

Will, I think you must listen to Rush Limbaugh, because one of his favorite sayings when trying to figure out why certain things are happening is,"Follow the money". If nothing else the Glendora Gods understand the "Almighty Dollar Concept" and will aggrandize their own positions. Don't hold your collective breath, you sportsman racers, waiting for an increase in the payouts. Blue skin doesn't hold much appeal for most of us, and I'd bet a dollar to a donut thats about all you'll get for your efforts. I truly wish you an increase in your payday, but knowing NHRA as I think I do.........
    NHRA knows this; drag racing is more a sickness than an avocation for most. How do I know this? Most racers would run for the sheer joy of it, as long as they didn't go broke. Any monies made racing only put off the inevitable.
    Henry

20. T.A.D. 776

T.A.D. 776 New Member

The NHRA could not legally be a non profit under these circumstances.

The first time the NHRA was SOLD was when the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co bought it back in the 80s.
    Remember when it was no longer NHRA Drag Racing and became Winston Drag Racing even on the cover of National Dragster.
    There was no vote on the sale from the so called membership then either.
    The top executives on the board at Winston Drag Racing were all transferred from R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co to run the newly acquired asset. The agenda was to push the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co products on the public by circumventing the federal laws againest tobacco companies advertising on television. It took years for the Government to stop this by passing legislation to prevent tobacco companys from using sports to push their products.
    It was even in the rule book that a racing team could not be sponsored by any brand other than Winston. But then of course R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co brought out the Smokin Joe Camel car with the cartoon logo and the blatant advertising campaign aimed at the YOUNGER public (children) to entice them into thinking smoking was cool to help replace the 1,200 + customers a day in the U.S. alone that die horrable deaths from using their products.
    It was this big push and investment by R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co to get their products back on television that caused the biggest growth spurt for the NHRA.
    A little research would produce who is currently on the board at NHRA that is still directly connected with R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. To the best of my knowlege R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co still owns the NHRA so if ownership is being transfered that is who is doing it.
    Consider that possibility that the transfer may well be another way to get around the hard won restrictive tobacco advertising laws as this type of broadcast may not be under the same regulations as regular TV. The same as some of the new radio broadcasts can not be censored by the FCC.