NHRA seeks input on electric timers and programmable ignition systems

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Sep 13, 2006.

1. CAlbertTAD149

CAlbertTAD149 New Member

How much easier will the between round service be larry? We both have to do the clutch, but its not like you guys have to change valve springs and rods and bearings nearly as much as we do. Even if we had the timers that is all routine maintenance that we have to do on our cars. Especially with 10,000+ RPMs and 60+ lbs. of boost. Routine between round maintenance is a lot easier on the bottom end and valve train when your car only sees 6500 RPMs. So unless these timers can make it equal, which they cant, why change it. Is the goal to get the a fuel cars into the 4's so they get rid of the class all together because they are too close to top fuel?

2. eli

eli Banned

Once again******do you need a hammer to hit that nail ?

3. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

huh?

CAlbert,
    With all due respect, I suggest you do a little research on the electric timers, again. Also, check on the maintenance on an A-fueler.

The timers WILL NOT help the performance of either car. The electric timers will, again, ease routine maintenance for ALL of us. Best of all, the electric timers are dead on ALL of the time.

Obviously the a-fuel car does not put as much wear and tear on the valve springs as the blown car does but we do have the same routine when it comes to rods and bearings. Remember, we do have to mix nitro, blow out the motor, wind mill it, etc.

You can still use the air timers even if the electric timers are allowed. Your choice. Its just one more item you have to check, that is, if you have the time to check the air timers.;)
    -L

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

increase in performance

having worked on both cars, i would say any increase in performance either way would be marginal at best. you might see a moderate gain in consisency.

what larry is referring to in between rounds is changing your timers will be as easy as it is to change your alarm clock at home. hit a few buttons on the controller, and boom, you have your timers set. depending on how many stages of fuel management you are running on your current air timers, it's a much more time consuming task to make those adjustments with air timers. you have to get the clock box out....hook it up, cycle it...ok, turn the thread jsut a touch...crap....now the timers 3 tenths off...so you keep messing with it until it's half ass where you wanted it to be....then if you have sequential timers, you have to go back and at least double check, if not adjust the rest to make sure they are all where they are supposed to be...see above on pain the ass factor.

the consistency of the timers isn't so much a performance of the car type of deal....its keep from blowing up type of deal in my book. i had the car nose over hard in st louis in high gear because one of my air timers decided it didn't really feel like closing the fuel managment circuit on that run. i caught it and only fuzzed one piston (not to mention i wasn't qualified and only made the field by .006 from lifting)...i think these controllers will save parts, and consequently oil downs.

yes, the air timers are inconsistent and affected by a number of factors including temperature and moisture. however, i don't think getting rid of the timer variance is going to take a low 5.30 a/f run into the low .20's. maybe it makes a 5.31 a/f run a 5.29 at best. it also will make a blown 5.31 a 5.29 at best also...so it's really a wash in my book performance wise.

i've been wrong before tho....but i'm for them.:rolleyes:

5. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

Will,

Is there any time frame on when a final decision will be made? My brother and his wife, Randy & Kim Parker who run the Mercedes Shoppe TA/FC & TAD are done for the year and we are making plans for next season. The sooner we know, one way or the other, the better. For the record, we would like to see these new systems allowed.

6. Will Hanna

Staff Member

extra timers..

then you have to figure in the factor of people on both sides of the fence getting too tricky...

wow...i only had 3 timers before, surely it will go faster with 6 stages of fuel management...if i only had 12....:D

one of the smartest lines i ever had tom conway tell me is 'these cars aren't that smart...'

7. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

...but they are smarter than us!

8. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Yea, but a computer wiz kid like Will Hanna will figure out a way to hook the electronics up to the button on the steering wheel to let go of the trans brake.

Since the Super Comp cars have to put delay the button (or else they get the big red light every time) just think what you could do with a "chip" on the button of a Lencodrive. You could really sharpen up those reaction times only when needed.

Now if NHRA would allow me to make a steering wheel mounted push button clutch release so I can compete, that would be a good thing. Then everyone can play "Dial-A-Reaction Time" and smack the tree only when needed. Kinda hard to get your leg with five layers of fire suit and a 5 pound fireboot off the clutch pedal as fast as the guy in the lane next to you with his thumb on a 2 ounce button on the steering wheel, don't you think?

BTW...Just busting your chops, Will.

I think a button on the steering wheel to release the clutch pedal is a good idea. What's good for the goose...as they say.

Frank in an interview:

"I put 2 in the box which gave me 1 on the tree and got a 10 light. That Lucas, Superwinch, Brad Anderson funny car is really gettin' off the starting line this weekend!"

9. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Wow!!!! Do your homework.

Anyone now running the MSD six shooter can prob. effect more timeing changes now than they need. The MSD controller will just make it easier and more reliable. The MSD rep at Dallas told me you could throw away your six shooter and air timers. The cost of the box is 770 dollars and can be set and changed with your laptop. As far as as the air timers on an a-fuel car most good running cars are not useing any high speed leanouts with air timers to control the fuel anymore. So this is a non issue. I think we are about the only class in NHRA racing that cannot use the electronic ign. control box. It will not improve performance and will make it easier for both blown and injected fuel cars that are useing six shooters with air timers and pressure switches to control ign. timeing.

10. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

What happened to Len Imbrogno's post?

11. Will Hanna

Staff Member

page 2

check page 2 of the archives for the post about electric fuel management timers...

2 very similar threads