New Safety Requirements for 2010 in TAFC & TAD

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Stefan Kontos, Oct 26, 2009.

1. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Marty
    I see everything you say except the approved puke tank for FC
    I did read you need the approved tank thou but doesnt appear this applies to us this time
    or did i miss read this?

2. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

from the amended rulebook link. I'd bet most people already have this pretty much covered. Probably gonna have to add the "secondary" locking device on the valve cover vents, though. Not really sure what they mean by that

Catch can/vent tube system mandatory. Twiston/quick-disconnect fittings between the
    vent tube hoses and the valve cover vent tube adapters must incorporate a secondary
    locking device such as a hasp pin; ball lock pin prohibited. Tape is not a satisfactory
    primary or secondary locking device. Double clamps are required on each end of all
    hoses used in the vent system, including the dry-sump vents. Minimum 1 1/4-inch inside
    diameter hoses are required from each valve cover to the catch can inlets and/or frame
    rails and from each frame rail outlet to both catch can inlets. Minimum catch can(s)
    capacity is a one-gallon sump (i.e., below the bottom baffle) when the valve cover
    discharges are routed through the upper frame rails; otherwise a two-gallon sump
    capacity is mandatory. Minimum catch can inlet and outlet/discharge configuration is
    two 1 1/8-inch inside diameter openings (or equivalent area). NHRA accepted vent
    tubes/hoses are mandatory for all connections; see NHRA.com for a list of
    accepted vent tubes/hoses. Vent tubes must be unobstructed from the interior of the
    valve cover to the interior of the catch can; i.e., no orifices, reduced areas, filler
    materials, etc. Pan/crankcase vacuum systems, of any description, are prohibited. See
    General Regulations 1:13.
    Page

3. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Dang...and I've been pressurizing my wing struts all this time to 243 psi....

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #323

4. Soldierboy0098

Soldierboy0098 Active Member

Confused again

Great I just started to change the stuff on the car and now I get to change my puke tank again...awesome...

Well I like the idea of the auto shutoff and the fireproof brake lines, not sure what the new puke tank is going to fix other than the amount of money in my wallet and the cracks on the current one. The helmet system is a neat idea but I'm not so sure it's going to help any...time will tell I guess.

Trevor Sherwood

5. The Leveler

The Leveler New Member

a certain amount of saftey rules are ok. but this is getting pretty outta hand. if somebody blows there motor and happens to get grenaded with schrapnel(god forbid) are we going to have to wear bullet proof vests? S#$t happens! pretty soon your gonna have to get a vasectomy just in case you bump your nads :mad: I'm old school...buyer beware this stuff Is dangerous..thats part of the thrill:eek:

Shane Pearmain 508 TAD
    Everybody dies.....not everybody really lives!!

6. drn1013rd

drn1013rd Member

section 1 fuel

so now you can run electrically controlled fuel selonoids, or electrical fuel managment? they marked through all the prohibited part is this right?
    or am i wrong as always.

7. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Good rule of thumb:

"If it's required on the nitro cars this year, it will be required on the alky cars next year."

Looking forward to running a monster truck automatic killl switch in 2011.

Cheers.

8. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I just got in touch with one of those computer nerds who is into ham radios- you know, the guy with inch thick glasses, pimples and skin that has never seen the light of the sun. He gaurantees he can shut the other car off without killing mine. So now I got another crew guy and he works for cheetohs- cool....... Dave Germain

9. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

NHRA has been trying to speed up the show???? :rolleyes: What's going to happen when they have to pull every pair of cars off the track because the car dumps the laundry and shuts off the engine at the finish line?:confused::confused: And don't for get to unbuckle your helmet before you use the "Eject removal system" :eek:

10. underby6

underby6 Active Member

I think a timer that shuts the car off is it's on longer than say...6-7 seconds from the time a WOT switch is engaged....that'd be a more efficient idea. Pulling cars off the track does slow the show down. The helmet system is just a bladder with an npt connection, you won't notice any difference taking your helmet on and off.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #323

11. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

Valves

does anyone have a discount source for the clippard pistons

12. Brad Hiatt

Brad Hiatt Member

13. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

here is a list of all the clys that cross over to the fabco or clippard

CYLINDER, 7/8 IN BORE, 3 IN STROKE, DOUBLE ACTING, DOUBLE END MOUNT
    A14030DD------------Nitra
    063-DXP---------------Bimba
    UDR-14-3-------------Clippard
    F-0875D02-03A-----Fabco
    0875D02-03A--------Numatics
    0.88DXPSRx3.0----Parker

14. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

Bill what are you looking for?size and length of rod? if I have one that will work I will give it to you I have quite a few..Dave Lowe
    shop 620-231-8068..if not there leave message

15. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

Pistons

nice job John. thats a good list.
    Dave, thanks. John's list is what we need. 7/8 x 3" stroke.

16. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

cyl

Brad..couldn't find 7/8 bore there. thanks

17. Chi Town Brown

There is more than one paint supplier now. There will be a Third one in just a couple weeks. :)

18. jeffj

jeffj Member

I do not see the rule changes you folks are talking about in the listed 6th of Jan 2010 rule ammendments. I was under the impression it was going to be puke tank, cable wing to chutes, vent hose, burst panel ignition cutout and chute mount upgrade. All I see in the link to the NHRA rule ammendments for TAD is chute mount upgrade to 3/16 moly with 1/2 inch bolts.
    What am I missing or where is there something different actually written?
    Thanks. Jeff Johnsen

19. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

New rule book vs. ammendments

Jeff,
    The 2010 rule ammendments are only changes or additions made after the 2010 rules were compiled and released (which happened late last year). The other safety rules were included in the rule book, so they are not considered ammendments any longer. To view them you have to go to "Download Rulebook", then log on with your membership number to see it. They are no longer mailing a hard copy to you, unless you call and order one (at an additional cost).
    Good luck,
    Marty

20. Dale Finch

Dale Finch Member

Hey, I would just like to address one topic of discussion. It was mentioned that one company has an exclusive for the Leahy Box. David Leahy designed this after Scott Kalitta's death for the fuel ranks. I am thankful that he did so. In the scheme of things it is inexpensive. Anyone who has dealt with David knows he did it with only safety in mind and he is a real gentlemen. He is the only one that stepped up with only short time to make the prototypes. I dare say it was just to help protect his friends. Glad it can be adapted to the alcohol ranks too.

Great MSD and electronics expert too. I appreciated his help over the years and don't want the wrong impression out there.