New Pro Comp class

Discussion in 'System One Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Proposal for new "Pro Comp" class for NHRA Divisional competition -
    -1/8 mile
    -Run what you brung (Top Alcohol, Nitro, Outlaw Pro Mod, Altered, etc.)
    -3.66 quickest dial in - 4.10 slowest dial in
    -32 car field
    -Similar payout Top Alcohol divisional purse (700 quarters, 900 semis, 1500 r/u, 2500 win)

1/8 mile opens the door for current Advanced ET cert cars/drivers to run the class with no major modifications. If it was 1/4 mile and quicker than 6.00, the cars would need Top Alcohol/Pro Mod cert, licenses, carbon brakes, etc.

This would need to be at all divisionals within a Division with a Division Champion crowned. Nobody is going to pull out of TD for a one-off deal.

The first step is we need to show there is racer support for this. If you like this idea spread the word!

2. blownapex

blownapex Member

im interested with no od or weight limits on screws 3.66-4.10 dials this is good for a lot of cars
    1/8 mile only is safer / cheaper for most
    d3
    keep me posted how this works out

Will Hanna likes this.
  3. z-man

z-man New Member

I still believe the cause all started letting the screws in. COST WENT UP.Before that you had a ton of cars!!!

4. Cpt Kludge

Cpt Kludge Member

Wow!
    Sounds a lot like like Funny Car Chaos with more than just funny's! The ET range is a bit stout but I'd be down with our new injected nitro F/C if we can get to running that quick. I'd bet a lot of other racers would be too!

Steve

Attached Files:

5. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Before the screws came out if you ordered a roots supercharger, before it was delivered, it was already obsolete by the time you bolted it on your car. Do you remember the helix blower wars? The screw blowers put a stop to it. Even one of the leading roots blower manufacturers who raced TA/FC bought a screw.

6. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Roots....cheaper....hmm.

NHRA legal Pro Mods can only run a roots...Last I heard a Chuck Ford RENTAL blower costs $6000 a race and he takes it off after the race. I'm sure a new Janis, Billes or Hammer deal is going to cost close to $40k for a hat/blower combo. Even at $30k, if you have a spare, you're going to have to have $50-$70k in blowers, or rent a Ford for $72k a year.

Even better when you figure out your <insert the blower you have on the car> is not the hot lick anymore because <the other guy> has a new mod and you gotta have it to stay competitive. I saw Stevie Fast post his old blowers for sale for $22k after he switched to another mfg.

Yeah, that sounds way better than $20-25k for a brand new PSI D rotor and carbon hat.

vamcaptain and Randy G. like this.