New funny car body

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by SLIDER, Nov 24, 2004.

1. BenchRacer

BenchRacer Super Comp

There used to be a lot of different companies making bodies for purchase by the general public, anybody who made fiberglass products could do one on the side, now there are what ???? 2 or 3. Also Alcohol and Nitro used to use the same bodies. The market isn’t there anymore. How many New Alcohol bodies will be sold in a year, maybe 20?? 30 at the most. With the Auto Manufactures having to approve who can make the bodies I can see why very few people are willing to put out the financial investment. I have heard that GM has stopped a couple of bodies from being produced. Gone are the days when you could get a rental car, wax it, tape up the seams and make a splash mold that could be stretched and moved around to your desired shape. Used to be a guy could sell 3 or 4 bodies and break even, how many cars will have to be sold before S&W Race Cars makes a profit? With NHRA, IHRA and the various funny car circuits that run, there are about 200 Alcohol funny cars out there that run down the track on a regular basis and I doubt 10% will have the need for a new body next year. Look at what Slider said “With the new Monte Carlo body now being available, it looks like the investment would not be worth while.” one new body style would dilute the market so much it would not be worth the investment for some one to do another. If you want to get people in the stands you will have to find a different way.

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

damn gene, thanks for the confidence.....5.40's at 265. that'll work :D