New funny car body

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by SLIDER, Nov 24, 2004.

1. was R4K

was R4K Member

I had a Bruce Iverson 81 Vette (Janco?)It didn't like 200 MPH + - sure looked cool though!

2. gopher

gopher New Member

as of for the chute problem. i inderstand jay payne had air launchers on his car at pomona and they worked flawlessly. The stroud chute is smaller but still sufficently stopped the car with one chute, and thats at pomona.

3. nick bell

nick bell TAFC

Biggest thing that is going to affect the sale of this body is performance. And I dont mean big speeds or little et's I mean is it stable, how does it handle, does it need giant spill plates to keep it from wandering all over the place or just little ones to make a place for stickers. Talk is cheep but buying a body and then having it turn out to handle like a truck is a problem. I might be wrong but has anyone ever put a body set up for alcohol in a wind tunnel for comparison purposes?

4. SLIDER

SLIDER New Member

John:

Can't release that information yet. This post was just to find out if there would be a market for the body. With no negative comments about manufacture it will diffently help it move to the next step. My guess at this point is it probably won't be available until 2006. Thanks for everyones replys

5. Barry H

Barry H Member

A few years ago Bernie Harrington had a Honda body made. The body seemed stable. no chute problems. The biggest problem was the weight (glass, not C.F.). The other problem was the time, money and effort working with NHRA and the manufacturer to assure compliance with the rules following the curves, roofline, deck, etc. of the body.

6. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

slider,

if your body lives up to the billing you give it, people will buy it. will you have 20 orders as soon as it hits the market? probably not. alcohol racers definitely have a wait and see attitude b/c most cant afford to spend that much money on something that may or may not work. give one to a fast car, once it appears to be proven, and you'll sell a decent amount over the course of a year.

i also have very good information there will be an alcohol version of the monte carlo out soon.

7. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

an alky version of the monte will be cool but will it have an alky price? who will be making it?

8. Flamin Raymond

Flamin Raymond New Member

I understand that the bodies are from a Foriegn car company, but would the bodies be manufactured here in the U.S. or "OUTSOURCED" overseas which may cost more American jobs? Sorry, thats just the way I look at things. It may be you or me looking for a job someday, and I don't think we could afford to race if we're all flippin' burgers. Take Care, Brian

9. Prospector

Prospector Member

Those burgers wouldn't be made with Alberta beef would they?

-Jay

10. Will Hanna

Staff Member

the monte carlo source is currently in the tafc field, so i'm sure it will have a tafc price tag.

11. nick bell

nick bell TAFC

Ok gene now argue how mph can be developed while draging a sail behind you because that is essentially what you are doing if you are using a body that creates more down force (drag) than necessary.

12. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

LMAO randy, you must really be talented, last time i tried to walk and chew gum i fell over an a/fuel car.

13. was R4K

was R4K Member

Randy G- why did you pull your post? It was most thoughtfull! So much so that I luckilly printed it before it disappeared.
    Now- my 2 cents- You Rocket scientists may have noticed that Dale Pulde drove the Pleuger nitro f/c at the World Finals with the firebird (old style like Bateman/Reynolds) all they did was reinforce the body and add additional rear wing- car handled and preformed well! I am sure that body is good for 290 MPH before the newer bodies in f/c start to show the effects of wind tunnel engineering- Don't try to tell me that Bucky or Payne make more HP than Pleuger and Settles?

14. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Brian; I don't think we need to worry about outsourcing here. My bet is your house is full of stuff made elsewhere.
    There is a real problem with bodies right now. Call them what you think the year is, but there has not been a new body since 2000. The only thing that came close was a "TRUE" carbon body from JBR/McKinney, but GM pulled the deal and would not licence any more that the eight there were.
    I travel internationally a lot, and am embarrassed when people snicker about "you Yanks and your bucket and brush" carbon.
    Go ahead and chuckle, but I recently said yes to a VW funny car deal (my first F/C in 20 years) because of the quality of the body, true Carbon/Kevlar interwoven cloth, pre-preg, oven cured, the squarest, most level body I've ever worked with.
    I quit F/C's in 1984 because of two reasons, 1. Tim Grose/G&K 2.Carrier Ind., I owned a tape measure and they didn't!!

If someone has the huevos to deal with the rules people, licenceing, EPA, OHSA , NHRA, etc., than they've got more heart than anyone I know. If we can get a square, affordable, not too ugly body, that I can still lift, I'm all for it! I still need something to do for a few more years, as I have'nt had any calls recently (3 years) for a TAD. Somehow I been talked into a new life with these things, and I can tolerate mounting a body if I wear my football helmet, but I just can't tolerate crooked crap. My guess is, if it comes from another country, it'll be better if the bucket and brush guys go flip burgers anyway.
    VENT finished !

15. Will Hanna

Staff Member

UNCLE BOB HAS SPOKEN. :D

Thanks as always for the comments. Good luck with the FC projects and keep us posted...

16. Tommy

Tommy Super Comp

what kind of body is it. has it ever been used at the drags before ie 240Z that Densham had in 1980. maybe its like the body on tolivers car thats an import.

17. Don Scholl

Don Scholl New Member

OK we received approval on our Monte Carlo from NHRA today!

http://www.swracecars.com/pdf/newstuff.pdf

Orders are being taken now by Scott Weney @ 1-800-523-3353 ext. 11

[ December 06, 2004, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Don Scholl ]

18. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

WOW this ^^^^^ is great news for TAFC racing. If NHRA gave its approval that must mean they are trying to keep the class alive.

Thanks for posting this news Don.

19. Hokes Racing

Hokes Racing Moderator

If you look the first post was made by SLIDER and the one that said we were approved was made by Don Scholl. So It looks like to different bodys

Lanny

[ December 04, 2004, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Hokes Racing ]

20. SLIDER

SLIDER New Member

With the new Monte Carlo body now being available, it looks like the investment would not be worth while. A assement of the Monte Carlo's performance will be done after it hits the track and then a decision will be made after that.