New Classes?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Fireball, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Fireball

Fireball Jr. Dragster

I've read all the A/FD vs B/AD posts for quite some time now and would like to raise a question. Why not create a new class?
    JUNIOR FUEL. After all, Top Alcohol should be just that...Alcohol. NHRA seems to be courting new venues, i.e. Pro Mod, Nitro Harley, to put fans in the seats and keep them there, why not expand on what you have already have and resolve a rather nasty situation? I've seen several threads on injected nitro F/C's and I'm sure if given the opportunity there would be some players. Wouldn't this also create a "farm league" for eventual jump to Top Fuel and Nitro Funny Car? I know NHRA events have to keep on a time schedule for various reasons but why can't they cut back on some of the sportsman races that fans leave their seats for? Don't get me wrong, I'm a sportsman racer, but I don't go to "National" events to see racers like myself, I want to see the Big Boys. Why or why not?

2. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

It seems to me less and less TAD or TAFC racers even care about moving up to TF or FC. A) the Costs! B) who wants to chase after sponsors all the time?

3. timrudy

timrudy New Member

I agree with fireball, the NHRA is not fully exploiting all the elements of their show. ie: TAD and TAFC. Why not? Why do they have this mindset? Are we not stepping up enough?

I would be for a Junior Fuel category in principle. Even if it was an 8 car field. It would separate the apples from the oranges.

In an environment where the promoter sells every scrap he can, why aren't we exploited more? Does selling us more put down the Pro Categories in any way? Is there only so much promotion to go around? Without the NHRA's guidance, can the fans really tell what a pro category is? What defines it?

ET?
    Speed?
    Paint Scheme?
    Uniforms / Crew Appearance?
    Pit Organization?

The only thing that separates us from the pros is that we have an opportunity to compete at the regional level.

In my opinion, a Junior Fuel category would not work at the regional level.

Any other thoughts about this?

TR