My first ride.

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Moparious Maximus, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Moparious Maximus

That motor would fly in a dragster!!

I sent the converter out to get it worked over so I'm not leaving at 7000, I'm looking to shift at 7000 and keep it under 7500 in the traps.

I did find out why I broke a lifter, we had a few pushrods rubbing on the little button heads that hold the spreader bars on the lifters. The whole top of the lifter broke off, played all sorts of hell on things. Besides the cam and two lifters it wasnt to bad.

2. wildman

wildman Member

don't let them feed you that. ALL convertors balloon. It's just a factor of how much. Do you run a mid plate in the car? You said a jw bell but I did not know if you use the chrysler bell or a gm with an adapter. If you do not have a mid place, get one. Even if you don't attach it to the chassis. The ballooning convertor WILL take out a thrust bearing. I run a 10 inch behind our 431 and it stalls about 4500. We run 5.0's @ 138 in the 1/8 (for now we just put a 1471 on it... I'll post with results)

3. Moparious Maximus

Yes, we use a mid plate, 1/4" aluminium. Its a mopar bell to a powerglide,

4. wildman

wildman Member

What do the convertor ears look like? If you 3 (or six) tabs simply welded to the cover, the ballooning with cause those to bow and not be parallel. Visualize a bellville washer. This puts extra forward pressure on the crankshaft.

5. Moparious Maximus

The bolting surface is a complete steel ring fully welded to the converter and I do use the 6 bolt pattern.

6. wildman

wildman Member

Sounds like the correct setup. The only other thing I would check is the pilot. Make sure that it does not bottom out in or on the crank. It should center itself in the crank but also allow some in/out slip.

7. Moparious Maximus

I have my parts getting looked at by JW. I did a few inspections here and didn't like what I found, the crank to transmission indicate out as good but the bellhousing isn't flat, the engine side and the trans side are .018 out of parallel, I checked an old one I had around and its within .001, but its not even close as far as runout between crank to trans. Im thinking I had a large misalignment hidden by my crooked bellhousing.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  8. wildman

wildman Member

good to know. Hopefully it did not torque on your crank enough to crack the rear journal. Ya might want to have it fluxed.

9. Moparious Maximus

10. Flyingpig

Flyingpig Member

Ive concluded that youve got too much motor in that car. The ideal engine combination would be a 451 B1 with an alky carb. Hey! I can fix you up with that. Ill trade you even up. Deal?

11. Moparious Maximus

There is no such thing as too much motor, I think it should be worded not enough car.....

12. hotrodharlkey

hotrodharlkey New Member

i agree. never to big a engine.just build car to take it

13. tafccrewguy

tafccrewguy New Member

Thats awesome

14. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

15. Moparious Maximus

Thank you, I havent seen those yet. Did you see the video I posted?

16. Dragsterbus

Dragsterbus Member

I've just wached your video, Awesome ! I'm looking forward to my first ride in the bus in a couple of months, I'll post details when it happens:D