MSD Power Grid Questions

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Mac, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Mac

Mac Member

I just picked up a Power grid to use on my blown BBC with a pro mag 20.

To start out roughly how much timing should I pull out and for how long?
    I was thinking 8-10 degrees when the trans brake is activated and have it all back in by 1.5-2 seconds?
    What should I use for a relay from the output off the grid to a solinoid? I think the grid outputs are only good for 3 amps

Blown BBC,1800hp,2 speed,bolt together convertor,125" altered/funny car 2065lbs with driver,beadlocks/34.5 tire,3.90 gear,1/8 and 1/4 mile drag race

2. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Start with just a couple of degrees out of it. It's almost always better to blow the tires off at the hit than weak shake the shit out of your car and have shit falling off. You can always back it down on the second run. How were you managing timing prior to mounting the grid on your car. ? My grid goes to the delay box and from the box to the t brake. You don't run a d box?

3. Mac

Mac Member

Good points I will start slow. I've never ran any timing control in the past. The nostalgia group that I originally built the car to run with doesn't allow timing control or delay boxes. We've only ever played with base timing and blower overdrive to get down different tracks.

4. jody stroud

Yeah then leave it hopped up. I went 6.17 in the 1/4 with one high speed and no timing control with an MSD 10 on a big chief headed bbc. You may need to go to a 4.10 with that big of a rear tire to get it to work on the line.

5. Mac

Mac Member

I ran the 4.30 gear the car came with for awhile but it was way to violent on the launch so I put the 3.90's in it and it helped a bunch. I was thinking of going with the 4.10 or 4.30 once I get the timimg figured out.

6. Mac

Mac Member

Jody,
    Do you run into any troubles with the Power grid when you are backing up and hit the Trans brake button multiple times? Might be a dumb question but just thought I'd ask. Also are you air shifting off the grid signal wire or shifting by hand?

7. jody stroud

I wired in a switch on the dash to bypass the grid and leahy fuel management while I back up, my delay box has a timer in it to keep the trans brake from activating after being released. It is about a 10 sec delay I think

8. Mac

Mac Member

Are you leaving on the Powergrid's two step Jody? Thoughts on that being hard on parts?
    I was thinking of setting it at 4000-4200?

9. jody stroud

Yes I leave on the two step
    Without an air throttle, but we bleed fuel while on the two step to keep
    The egt temps up. Haven't seen any more
    Wear leaving at 4000 rpms vs the air throttle.

10. skauto

skauto Member

The two step is incredibly smooth on the grid I questioned if it even worked on ours, also with our b&j I wired a second trans brake button with a diode to bypass the activation to shift reverse etc and use a separate button for launch if you want give me a call, I should have shown you ours in Edmonton while you were there