MSD 44 Grounding ???

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by sdpm, Oct 9, 2007.

1. sdpm

sdpm New Member

At our last race I had a guy looking at our setup KB Hemi with a MSD Mag 44 and he told me that I should have the actual generator and or mag drive grounded with a strap or wire going to a good ground? I didn't see anything in the instructions showing this. Never had an ignition problem either. What's your thoughts?? Thanks

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

There is no real path for anything from the generator to the block so no reason to ground it. He might be confused about running a ground wire from both heads to chassis ground.

3. sdpm

sdpm New Member

Thanks Mike. I have that done but was just wondering if I was missing something? He said something like, everything being aluminum made for a poor ground? Just checking. Thanks

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Aluminum is a good conductor and was actually used as a replacement for copper house wire for awhile. The grounding that the generator needs is handled via the MSD wiring harness ground.

5. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

I Was Wondering About Grounding The Heads To The Chassis Myself,did It On My Other Car, And Just Have One Head Grounded Now.anyone Seen Any Problems From Lack Of Ground Wires??

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Shawn, I would highly recommend running a grounding wire from one head to the other and then to chassis ground. Having only one head ground may cause you problems.

7. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

Looks like we'll finally be stepping up to a 44 from a 20. We don't have the heads chassis grounded because the owner of the car insists the engine is mounted in the car with a motor plate. Anyone agree with him?

I also notice a few months ago that Mike Janis's promod has some sort of plug wires with unisulated braided ground wires attached to each plug boot. Anyone know anything about them?

8. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

Looks like we'll finally be stepping up to a 44 from a 20. We don't have the heads chassis grounded because the owner of the car insists the engine is mounted in the car with a motor plate. Anyone agree with him?

I also notice a few months ago that Mike Janis's promod has some sort of plug wires with unisulated braided ground wires attached to each plug boot. Anyone know anything about them?

9. Eric David Bru

On the Top Fuel car I ground each head to the frame and each head to the coil.

No grounding problems for us.

EDB

10. tfxengine

tfxengine New Member

Sounds like Nology plug wires.

11. br22bob

br22bob Member

We tried these "grounded" wires the dyno on a 750 hp inj engine and lost 20 plus hp. They gave us our money back!

12. tfxengine

tfxengine New Member

We have always been under the impression that Nology wires didn't do what they stated. However, we will have our custom ignition bench test system setup soon, so we should be able to see just what they do or don't do in terms of volts, amps, duration, etc. It would seem that even if the plug wires do what they state, it would probably be in the opposite direction to what is needed for some engines, as generally a long spark is important for methanol and nitro.
    Clint Gray
    TFX Engine Technology Inc.
    (Combustion Pressure Analyzers)
    www.tfxengine.com

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  13. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

Well right now we're only guessing these are the wires Janis is using. Whatever he's using apparently works as he's one of the quickest and fastest promods out there. I think he may be #1 IHRA in points? Consistant 6.0's anyway!

I was hoping someone would have answered my question about the front motor plate bolted to the block and chassis is good enough of a ground for a promag 44. We've run a 20 amper like this for a few years with no problem.

14. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The absolute best place to ground the heads is to the ground on the coil and is what is recommended by MSD. If you run the coil ground and the head ground to the same lug on the motor plate then everything should be OK.

15. wildride boy

wildride boy Top Sportsman Racer

I understand the use of a ground wire from chassis to motor , but why to put a groung wire between the 2 cylinder heads ?
    20 or more heads bolts screwed through the block are not enough good conductor ?

Claude

16. J-Drag

J-Drag T/C

From the MSD web site.
    quote;
    "If you have noticed strange line-like markings or evidence of electrical arcing on you head gaskets, pistons or bearings, chances are you may have a magneto grounding problem. Visualizing the secondary current flow, it would start at the generator, pass through the points box to the coil, through the cap, rotor, wires and end up at the spark plugs in the heads. It should then complete the path back to coil (-), which is ground. However, if the path between the cylinder heads and coil (-) is not optimized, the current will generally find or make it's own path to complete the circuit. Often it is assumed that motor mounts and head studs will provide adequate ground when they really don't. To address this issue, we now suggest that both heads be grounded to a single point via a braided ground. This point should be the same as that shared by both coil (-) leads."

17. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Claude, I totally agree with you that all the head bolts and other stuff should make a great ground BUT it doesn't so the high voltage takes the easiest path it can find which could be through the head gasket or through the rings down the rods and through the rod bearings. If one head is grounded but not the other then it can screw up the tuneup and the plug readings.

According to MSD the three most common problems that make the mag ignition not work correctly are 1) bad coil wire 2) old plug wires and 3) incorrect grounding of the heads to the coil.

18. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

To expound on Mike...

I'm not an electrical engineer nor do I play one on TV.

But, let's put this into simpler perspective and use something we all know and love... the electric chair.

Lets view the victims head as to where the plug mates to the wire.

Lets view the calves as the ground strap.

If we don't have a good ground to the calves, we wind up passing current outside of the body rather than through it, and the victim cooks instead of dying.

If we wet the calves and head to promote current flow (proper grounding techniques), the current moves through the body and we get the proper result (no cooking, just death).

So, the idea with multiple good grounding is to ensure that the current goes where we want, rather than the path of least resistance.

19. smokinboyz

smokinboyz Member

old post

i have twin super mags . how far do i need to go with this grounding exercise or is it only for msd 44 guys......thanks peter

20. thjts

thjts New Member

Grounding for mags

It is a wise thing to do for ALL mags.

Grounding for a smaller mag (20, 12, etc) is even more critical because of the lower current output. A deficiency (resistance) in the grounding system affects current flow, and with a small mag it will be more prevalent than a 44.

Make sure you use a very good grade of wire, with brass terminals, and crimp them properly.

Paul.