msd 10+ no spark help

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by caseyspradlin, Jan 23, 2011.

1. caseyspradlin

caseyspradlin Member

good morning. need a little help troubleshooting msd 10+ no spark while cranking. i can make it fire at coil by jumping mag pickup at both the box and at end of extension cable. verified 12v at box while starting (actually connected separate battery). nonmagnectic pickup ohms to 75 ohms which is within spec. i used ohm meter and turned pickup wheel by pickup and ohm meter picked up connection. tried moving a different pickup over the magnet wheel and no spark...just now thought that it wasn't grounded not sure if that matters.

do you know of anything else to try, I know msd will probably say that if it fires with jumper it is ok...have race in 2 weeks so probably wont get back from msd by then??

thanks for your help.

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

If the ignition fires when you jump the crank trigger input plug then the ignition is good. The non magnetic pickup is good at 75 ohms. So that leaves possibilities of a bad connector on the crank trigger or try this...... With the coil wire out of the distributor cap put a spark plug in the end with a wide gap and lay it against metal on the motor and spin the motor like you are going to start it and see if you get spark at the end of the coil wire. If you do then the problem is the distributor cap or the rotor or the distributor is not rotating because of a drive problem. Let us know what happens at that point or call me.

3. Wildcatracing

Wildcatracing Member

you can also short the white whire to ground as thats a points input. Cheers

4. chutedragger

chutedragger Member

I had a tempermental 12lt. Chased it for multiple weekends. It turned out that the "new" slightly bigger, valve springs slowed the cranking rpm down just enough to "not pick up" a spark. You couldn't hear a change in the rpm...it was that slight!! Hooked 24 volts to it and it started EVERY time, in the middle of our issues. Rebuilt the system with a 16 volt battery, and didn't have hickup after that. I know you are ringing out your connectors and stuff, and my story doesn't apply (yet), but it is pretty easy to check. Maybe the current you see isn't strong enough to get through the cap, down the wires and make a spark. If the car starts when warm (thin oil), on a really fresh battery...this may be your problem.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Chutedragger you are real close to what the problem was. We fixed it and the problem was it was not spinning over fast enough because it is still in the 30's here and the oil was too thick plus he had taken off the old 8-71 and put on a fresh 14-71. He is going to have to switch to 24 volts.

6. caseyspradlin

caseyspradlin Member

good ol' mike

once again mike saved the day (and shipping to msd)...

however still have a few probs that I will call msd with tomorrow.

so pulled the plugs and spun it over and viola...we have ignition! so blew some heat on motor for about an hour and tried to crank...no fire???

pulled plugs and it fires, maybe its like the wildcat suggested but sure seems to be spinning fast enough. check out below link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQSCWS00j14

we tried adding jump box too...no help. what i will talk to msd is the fact that I use rcd degree wheel on hub and can magnets get weak? and also my pickup lines up on the leading edge of the wheel, so it is this positioning absolutely critical? Do I need to machine bracket so they line up exactly?

[​IMG]

I was already thinking of the 24V start deal.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  7. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

I would diffently get that transducer centered, has to be weakening the signal.
    More voltage for starting would be a plus for sure.

Blessings.........Ron.

8. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

Cranking Speed

I had about the same problem with my cranking speed not being fast enough to fire the magneto I use. See my post in the other thread about 24 volt starters. Might save you some headache.

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes, center up that pickup.

10. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

First Casey is not using a Mag but a 10 plus, thus cranking rpm is a non-issue. Second...Casey check each of the four magnets in your crank wheel with a small screwdriver or paper clip to make sure they all four are good and strong. After a rebuild once my engine guy overheated the crank trigger wheel to expand it to ease the fit on the crank snout and killed two of the four magnets and weakened one other. Hope this helps.

11. caseyspradlin

caseyspradlin Member

this place is awesome

I'll call you tomorrow but that is a very good possibility because i set the hub on the heater to re install after rebuild this winter...i can't remember though if I had the crank trigger wheel on it then or not.

I'll check them.

man i probably would never have figured these things out on my own

thanks

12. jody stroud

No problem...it's tough to do this with help from others....could'nt and would'nt want to do it by myself.

13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Jody, that is not correct. According to MSD cranking speed can be an issue with crank triggers and that is why is some applications we use a bypass switch to start the car not on a crank trigger then switch it over once started. When Casey removed his sparkplugs and tried cranking again the motor spun a little faster with the thick cold oil and he got spark. If the cranking speed is too low then when the magnet goes by the pickup the collapse of the magnetic field is not fast enough to create a big enough pulse to trigger the ignition box.

Yes cranking speed is an issue both with a mag AND with a crank trigger.

14. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

I run the same setup with 12 volts and have no issues. I have run it with a slow 1.9 HP starter and 3 HP starters and it will start each time though the 1.9 HP starter is on the edge with 12 volts.

I run a Leahy pickup and yours looks to be a MSD, don't think that is a big deal though. I would center it if you can as suggested. When I first got my pickup and tried to start the car, it would not start. Tried and tried but no go. At the time, did not know what the issue was as I had changed a lot of things and the pickup was only one of them. After cranking it a lot and dumping a ton of juice in the injector, I decided to close up the gap on the pickup from the .090 Leahy said to .045 like I used to do years ago. At the push of the button the engine starts, shoots flames across the inside of the garage and starts my paperwork on the countertop on fire and melts my the window shades on two of my windows. Damn zoomies, they shoot fire in both directions. Well, after I shut the engine off and put out all the fires, I thanked God that I didn't burn the garage down along with the car.

I moved the gap around and it seems to not like to start when over .060 so I keep it around .045 - .055. Not sure if this is your issue but it definitely was mine.

Tom

15. jody stroud

I agree if he was using a Mag, but he is running a MSD 10 plus and insted of triggering with a dist. he is using a crank trigger. He may be turning a little slow ( too slow for a mag) but just about any rotational speed at all should fire a 10 plus. I never had an issue with a ten plus not firing no matter how weak the batt.

16. Travis Q

Travis Q New Member

The crank trigger wheel isn't on backwards, is it?

17. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The temps were in the 30's and the oil was too thick plus he had a fresh 14-71 on the motor so it turned over too slow. Again, with the plugs out the motor turned over faster and the crank trigger worked and so did the MSD-10+ so nothing appears to be broken. Now centering the crank trigger sensor on the wheel may help some. We run into this problem with crank triigers all the time and that is why both Leahy and MSD make a switch to bypass the crank trigger so you can start the car then you switch it back after it fires.

18. caseyspradlin

caseyspradlin Member

call it like it like it is

i'm gonna call bs on msd's story that if it fires then box is good (sorry mike i know you disagree). after lining up pickup still no fire unless plugs out and a weak hit at that...installed spare box from zombie (shout out to my main man jody) and changed nothing else and bam, car finally cranked after a week of screwing with it. checked coil fire and it is considerably hotter.

i have heard of the 10 having issues but i will have to continue to use it as its all my budget will allow at this time. glad i have a spare now.

thanks for everyone's suggestions

19. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

When you get a chance (and if you want to) now that it is running switch back to the old box and see what happens. Maybe it was just a loose or dirty connection on the ignition box

20. wagspe208

wagspe208 Member

The crank trigger just generates an AC voltage signal. Hook up your volt ohm meter and crank, then center the pickup and recheck the signal voltage. This will surely point to centering the pickup or cranking speed.
    I'd bet dollars to doughnuts it is lack of center on trigger.
    Remember, set your meter to AC VOLTS.
    Wags