MSD 10+, 700mj Too much for distributor?????

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by ZERO260IN1, Oct 12, 2008.

1. ZERO260IN1

ZERO260IN1 Member

Well Ron, after seeing the kit in person, to be honest that kit doesnt really address the issue anyway. The part that was gettting burnt off (take a look at the picture again for clarification).... the tin that contacts the carbon is no differrent then the stock unit.

What do you think would happen if a guy doubled up the spring that contacts the carbon.. would that help or create more problems.

Thanks again

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Well, now lets return back to the original problem. No I don't think your ignition is too much for the cap. We use the same rotor with our ProMag 44 and we don't have a problem and that puts out more power. Normally that high voltage spark doesn't have have much amperage because it doesn't see any resistance and I am not talking the normal resistance seen in plug wires. These leaves four possibilities......(1) Your plug gap is way too big, what is it at now?? (2) Your plug wires are old and are breaking down. You need to check them with an meter. If older than half a season then they need to be replaced. (3) your coil wire is breaking down, the coil wire gets eight times the use of a plug wire and with that powerful of an ignition should be changed often. I would change it now unless it is brand new. (4) You should have a ground wire attached to each head that join together and run to the same actual ground and the coil ground. MSD recommend a braided ground wire. An incorrect ground path for the plugs is a real problem with high powered ignition systems.

One question here is have you also tried a new distributor cap?

3. ZERO260IN1

ZERO260IN1 Member

Hi Mike

Everything has been checked for resistance. Ultra 40 wires, 40ohms per foot. But I will replace as suggested. Gap is tight ect. I havent ran a ground strap to each head, so that may be the issue.

So next time out, new cap, rotor, wires and grounded heads, I'll keep you guys posted. THanks for your suggestions

4. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Like Mike said, the problem is not related to the spring contact to carbon being not able to handle the current. I'm wondering if that spring got bent down some how and there was a small gap between the carbon and spring. That would certainly result in what occured. Once you got a burn mark there it would go from bad to worse in a hurry.
    Electricity will always follow the path of least resistance. So poor grounding for the current to find a path after the plug fires back to the source will push the total amperage (output) of the system. When you start seeing tracks inside the cap, or arcing marks at mysterious locations you know it's time for maintance or reducing the plug gap to reduce the current needs to jump that gap under extreme cylinder pressure.

Blessings........Ron.

5. caseyspradlin

caseyspradlin Member

so is .035 too big of plug gap for this ignition. What is suggested/recommended?

6. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

.019 ....

7. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Depends on how much cylinder pressure. If your naturally aspirated that would work. But as cylinder pressure goes up so does the demand on the ignition system to jump the plug gap. The higher the cylinder pressure the greater the suppression of spark. And it's not always because the ignition will not put out enough energy to jump the gap, but the overall system will find the weak insulation areas and fail.

Blessings.......Ron.

8. ZERO260IN1

ZERO260IN1 Member

Thanks for taking the time to help so much Ron

Have a good one

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

My question to Zero would be on his motor and is it NA gas, nitrous, non blown alcohol or blown alcohol.

10. ZERO260IN1

ZERO260IN1 Member

13:1, K11, 25 over , alcohol

11. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

I guess the question should have been asked on page one. What are you gapping the plugs at??

Blessings...........Ron.

12. ZERO260IN1

ZERO260IN1 Member

Im using the Ngk, 5671 9 plug off the top of my head, and they come .025-.030, and I tighten em up to .020 or close to.

13. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

As Danny Humphreys had stated previously you definitely need a good return on the heads at this energy level per MSD's instructions.

I would still suggest that you check to make sure the rotor spring touch's the center electrode of the cap, I have seen more than one distributor where the either the wrong cap for the application was used or shims were installed wrong or left out and the shaft sat low in the housing resulting in arching that burned the rotor contact.

We gap ours a little tighter but I don't think .020 will hurt anything.

Richard Gavle

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008