Mike Strasburg in Vegas

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Apr 2, 2011.

1. superpro453

superpro453 Member

Second sample is for your own protection...

Far be it for me to support the NHRA, but they're just following the rules of the World Anti-Doping Agency for substance testing. As member's of the FIA, they have to follow what was the International Olympic Committee's rules - now managed by the WADA.

And I sympathise - my first visit to Vegas, crewing for Shelly Howard in her first divisional in TAD, I didn't pee for over 4 days....

The following is from Wikipedia...

Test methods
    Under established doping control protocols, the participant will be asked to provide a urine sample, which will be divided into two, each portion to be preserved within sealed containers bearing the same unique identifying number and designation respectively as A- and B-samples.[69]

WADA's Executive Committee and Foundation Board clarified at a meeting on 19–20 November, that an athlete whose A-sample has revealed the presence of a prohibited substance or method to request the analysis of his or her B-sample.

"The B-sample helps confirm that an anti-doping rule violation has occurred and protects the rights of the athletes", said WADA Director General David Howman. "It should be stressed that anti-doping is one of the few types of controls in society in which a confirmation procedure is used in order to protect individuals, and the very rare cases in which the analysis of the B-sample did not match the results of the A-sample have shown the usefulness of such procedure."[70]

So the 2 sample rule is to protect the 'athlete'....

Martyn

2. Ghost - Kevin

Ghost - Kevin Member

3. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was to understand that he gave three samples in Vegas. They threw them all out because each individual one was not enough for their "two vials" quota. That they wanted their certain amount in one shot. That they would not take two, (or in this case three), given at different times of the same day at the same location.
    This is not the Tour De France where teams are spending millions to hide performance enhancing drugs. This is not the Olympics. This is not Balco. This is not where tapering after the sample is big money. This is not where a second sample is to protect the athlete- and sent to a different lab.
    This is a guy that pays for his own racing out of his own pocket. A pocket that is filled with spare change he makes from the businesses he runs off of his family name and reputation. A name and reputation that the NHRA cared so little about as to so quickly pull the trigger on a press release of a 'failed drug test.'
    It is not like he avoided the test, failed the test or even drove drunk into the side of someones house. Gee zooks. Just be fair about this whole thing!

4. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

As Noel Said... HAIR

5. eli

eli Banned

Strasburg failed to comply with the NHRA’s drug testing policy within the required 24-hour time period. NHRA drivers have 24 hours from the time they receive the drug testing paperwork from the testing lab to comply with the policy during the random drug testing process. Per the NHRA rulebook, Strasburg is entitled an appeal.

“His (Strasburg’s) license is suspended,” said Graham Light, the NHRA’s senior vice president-racing operations, clarified to CompetitionPlus.com presented by Attitude Apparel Sunday.

According to Light, although Strasburg’s license is suspended, he can show up at NHRA races in other capacities, such as a tuner.

Strasburg is eligible to come back as a driver in one year, as long as he pays the $2500 fine imposed on him by the NHRA as a result of his suspension. Strasburg could return earlier if his case is overturned on appeal.

Graham Light? His name has to be an oxymoron, His heart is dark, black even. Your time will come!:p Gene Terenzio Sr.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  6. ITS IN MY BLOOD

100_4837.jpg

WE ALL GET BURNED,

.........No Help Racing Asses