Marvel Mystery Oil,Is It Alright To Use To Assemble Pistons And Rings?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Procharged GTA, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

One or two other things about the Gibbs stuff.
    Isn't worth a darn as a cutting fluid on aluminum or steel.
    It is however also useful on painted surfaces. For some reason it doesn't attract dust too much and it is much easier to wipe down the machine. My vertical mill and lathe come to mind. They stay cleaner longer (that shop patina doesn't take hold as fast) and don't require a wartime effort to wipe clean. Strange stuff.

2. Force Fed

Force Fed Member

FAQ from the MMO Web site...

Can MMO be used with racing fuels such as methanol?
    No, MMO cannot be used in racing fuels such as methanol. Certain components of MMO are not compatible with methanol and will not mix with methanol.

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

That should be an eye opener.

4. blown375

blown375 New Member

I dont think anybody was talking about using it as a toplube , they did say the use it to lube there fuel system components at the end of race day .

here is also a quote from MMO web site;

"Is Marvel Mystery Oil® safe to use in today’s “high-tech” cars?
    Yes! Marvel Mystery Oil is completely safe in today’s high-tech cars and provide the same benefits as it has since 1923-cleaner engines, upper cylinder lubrication, reduced acid and sludge build up, improved fuel economy, clean and lubricated fuel systems and many more!"

5. Force Fed

Force Fed Member

So MMO mixes with alky on the next start up and dosn't gell up or turn to shit..?

I have used WD40 in the past but don't now as I found out it turns to shit with alky. If this MMO is OK I will use it.

6. Moparious Maximus

???????? The word Marvel tends to lead to unknown. Mystery leads you in the same direction???? is it really a oil???????? I think I will leave it on the shelve.

7. Dragsterbus

Dragsterbus Member

How about using two stroke oil in the pump etc between meetings ? I don't think we can get MMO here easily without importing it

8. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

Here's the thing guys. MM is not being used as a top lube. MM may not mix with alky (and does anyone care?) but it will burn off. MM is only used to keep the seals from drying out and giving the pump a little preseal between races. What was it the old boys used, castor bean oil?

9. Brad Hiatt

Brad Hiatt Member

Anyone putting anything in the cylinders after a race to protect the cylinder walls from left over alcohol?

I was spinning the motor over with the plugs out to get any left over alcohol out. Then I put a squirt of MMO in the spark plug hole and spun the motor over again.

Am I creating myself problems down the road?

Brad

10. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

Been doing the same thing for years Brad, gas, alky or nitro, blown and unblown. Never an issue. It all blows out or burns up on the first fire up. Been thinking about trying the gibbs since it does so well at rust prevention.