Madison Payne makes it to Semifinals at Winternationals Debut

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Rich Bailey, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Rich Bailey

Rich Bailey Member

The Lucas Oil NHRA Winternationals presented by Protect the Harvest was a great start to the 2022 season. The weather was perfect and the reground track was ripe for outstanding performances in all classes.

Madison Payne had a great debut at the classic California event, the same race that her mother Shelly competed in 30 years ago. Madison qualified Duane Shield's Muscle Milk A/Fuel Dragster in the top 5 with a 5.286 @ 272 MPH.

In round one, Madison took on long-time California driver Bill Dunlap who was driving a former Don Prudhomme Top Fuel car. Dunlap got out first with a .090 to Madison's .154. Even though Madison was late off the starting line, the Muscle Milk machine had Dunlap covered even though both cars dropped cylinders. Madison took the win light with a 5.46 at 253 MPH over Dunlap's 5.76 at 253 MPH.

In the Quarterfinals, Madison raced Julie Nataas. Unfortunately for Nataas, she was disqualified as she red lit away a competitive 5.28 pass to Madison's 5.61 at 221 MPH.

In the Semifinals, Madison took on Mike Coughlin in the JEGS entry. At the hit it was Coughlin out first with a .073 to Madison's .085. Coughlin never looked back and took the win with a 5.20 at 277 MPH over Madison's valiant and very close 5.28 at 271 MPH.

Madison had nothing but great things to say about her first Winternationals experience. "It was good to be back at the track. I really enjoy being able to race with Duane and his team. I made some mistakes but the team got me through it and we made it all the way to the Semis. I'm still learning but I'm having fun doing it" Madison said.

Duane agreed. "Anytime you make it to the Semis it's a great outing. We are working on some new procedures and Madison is learning very quickly. We are also trying a new tune-up which will be better for the long term and we are making progress moving forward". Duane said.

Next, Duane is back in the car as they head to the Lucas Oil Regional event in Phoenix in two weeks. Duane and Madison would like to thank Muscle Milk, NGK Spark Plugs, GRP Connecting Rods, BAE, and Clean Boost for their support in 2022.